Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sunroof vs no Sunroof

aexplore

Reactions
Is the sunroof option worth the $$?
Still haven't purchased yet, thinking of waiting till 2021 to come out. Figure i would give Ford a chance to fix some of the minor "glitches" before I purchase.

Did the same with the Hellcat. Just wondering if the sunroof is worth it, would you miss it if you didn't have it?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We hardly use it ourselves, but the grand kids won't get in it unless I open it. So yes, that makes it worthwhile.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Had the piano roof in my 16 Platinum F150....had to have it again. I never open the glass but I like the view on nice days and at night.

Reactions
Funny, my last car was a charger hellcat, no sunroof, and I never wanted for one in that car.

In this car I love having it. Lightens up the interior.

Reactions
Nope. Had them before and never used them. A good source for squeaks, rattles and leaks.

KegsBdry

Reactions
In my personal opinion: I believe it raises the quality of the vehicle experience. My son loves to be able to share in the sunroof from the back seat. It allows in tons of natural light too (as already mentioned). It's worth it!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I keep it covered/closed 98% of the time. I would not miss it if I didn't order it. Plus: it is nice for family trips when the kiddos want to see the sky. desirable by most come trade in time or resale. Cons: leak potential. lower roof rack maximum weight.

If you don't see using it, don't order it, save some cash and don't even question the choice.

Reactions
We use it all the time..

Also, got around to fixing the loud knocking sounds that was coming from the screen when going 40-90km

FYI:
If anyone wants to know of the quick fix, I read somewhere here or FB group that if you put a spacer between the silver metal bars on the inside/bottom screen and the base it will stop the noise.

It's about 3-4cm gap, so I used a strip of cardboard and folded it over a few times and the adjust accordingly from there.

Just thought I'd add that since we're talking sunroof. I wish I knew who gave that pointer and give credit. If anyone wants pics, let me know..

KegsBdry

Reactions
We use it all the time..

Also, got around to fixing the loud knocking sounds that was coming from the screen when going 40-90km

FYI:
If anyone wants to know of the quick fix, I read somewhere here or FB group that if you put a spacer between the silver metal bars on the inside/bottom screen and the base it will stop the noise.

It's about 3-4cm gap, so I used a strip of cardboard and folded it over a few times and the adjust accordingly from there.

Just thought I'd add that since we're talking sunroof. I wish I knew who gave that pointer and give credit. If anyone wants pics, let me know..
Could you share a few pictures? Sometimes I find the open/cracked sunroof is loud at times.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thank you for sharing the picture.

I'll take a look at mine to see if something is already there. I do not hear a 'knocking' sound but the wind is a bit loud on cracking open the sunroof (tap the forward button once on the sunroof).

KegsBdry

Reactions
i think i will pass on the sunroof, just because of that fix. maybe they will fix that issue on 2021 models?
FYI: Mine doesn't have this problem.

After rechecking the wind noise (see previous message), it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Much quieter to have the sunroof open over a window cracked open.

Reactions
Hi, I decided to order an ST without the moonroof as it decreases the driver's headroom by 2 inches. If you are a tall person avoid the moonroof, otherwise you will be sitting on the floor and/or reclining the seat to fit. Cheers.

Reactions
I have the moonroof and wish I didn't. Never really use it plus possible chance there could be more problems.

Reactions
Family in the back seat likes it. If you dont have passengers often, I'd remove it for the weight+structural gains.

Blackssr

Reactions
Is the sunroof option worth the $$?
Still haven't purchased yet, thinking of waiting till 2021 to come out. Figure i would give Ford a chance to fix some of the minor "glitches" before I purchase.

Did the same with the Hellcat. Just wondering if the sunroof is worth it, would you miss it if you didn't have it?
I have a house in Boca Raton as well as a house in Lakeland Florida. I used the sunroof constantly at night especially during those three to four-hour drives. I too have a Hellcat and I use the sunroof as frequently. Fresh air and the stars make the drive a little bit easier. I would not own a car without a sunroof.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Saved myself a bunch of money. Did not want or buy ST with moon/sun roof or roof rails.
Have had them in previous cars. Never used them.
Too hot to open all summer and didn't ever use it in winter and too limited on head room .
So I waited for exactly what I wanted.

Just couldn't justify spending for something I wouldn't use.

I believe it's a 50/50 like and not.

Jim

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I look at these as a nicety that if you use regularly sooner or later it will cost you money either in the way it functions or what may happen when it leaks. I’ve had plenty of them and several were never opened as long as I owned them. They do cost you a couple of inches headroom.