Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sunroof vs no Sunroof

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I get it completely but I’ll stand by my comment.

Blackssr

Reactions
Wife wanted the sunroof. Wife gets the sunroof.
You got off easy... My wife wanted a Trackhawk.. so I got her a Trackhawk... With a freaking sunroof of course.

hbalek

Reactions
I look at these as a nicety that if you use regularly sooner or later it will cost you money either in the way it functions or what may happen when it leaks. I’ve had plenty of them and several were never opened as long as I owned them. They do cost you a couple of inches headroom.
I had a 2013 MKZ with the gigantic panoramic sunroof which was one of the greatest features of that sedan. At 5 years old, it needed repairs and took over 40 days to repair the mechanism under extended warranty luckily. I still don't regret that purchase because it was an amazing view out of that solid piece of glass. This two piece sunroof on the ST is not as striking or memorable. I barely notice it's even there but I leave the shade open to brighten up the really dark interior.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Things have changed a great deal since I turned wrenches but it seems to me that the manufacturers don’t sell you the little parts that commonly break for the new roofs. They want to sell you an $1800 frame or something along those lines. I’ve watched rocker corners get rotted because of bad drains. Admittedly, I just have a sour taste for them. Don’t get me wrong, I like them. I just don’t fee the trade off is worth it.

F=MA

Reactions
Sometimes when driving at high noon I will shut the interior shade of the sunroof because the suns is shining in my eyes. I tend to keep the sunroof open as the cabin seems less claustrophobic and dark. Having the sunroof makes it easier to avoid parking beneath the overhanging tree branches in the springtime when the trees are dripping sap. There are a lot of planes flying around Wichita so I can keep my eye on them as they fly over. A sunroof is a must for me. Luckily headroom in this vehichle with a sunroof and wearing a ball cap is not an issue. It was an issue in earlier GM suvs in the earlier 2000s.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I have a house in Boca Raton as well as a house in Lakeland Florida. I used the sunroof constantly at night especially during those three to four-hour drives. I too have a Hellcat and I use the sunroof as frequently. Fresh air and the stars make the drive a little bit easier. I would not own a car without a sunroof.
All my car searches have the sunroof listed as a must. I park in a garage, so this should extend the functionality lifespan of the sunroof anyhow. I always drive with the sunroof cracked open for better airflow.

Pros: Better airflow, better light distribution, first 2 rows have a better quality of life, can hear what's going on outside your vehicle without opening a window (in the rain, for instance), more gadgets/buttons to play with, better resale value, & front windows + sunroof open remotely from the key fob (I think that's true, it's winter and I can't recall 100% on that one).

Cons: Slightly more head room, can cost you $ if it breaks after your (extended) warranty, less chance of your roof shattering when a large object hits it, and saving you $ buying the option in the first place.

I too will always opt for the sunroof.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Our ‘13 Explorer’s sunroof might have been opened three times in the 7 years we owned it. We purchased the ST in late December and the dealer had to drive to find one without a sunroof. Why put a hole in a perfectly good roof?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Our ‘13 Explorer’s sunroof might have been opened three times in the 7 years we owned it. We purchased the ST in late December and the dealer had to drive to find one without a sunroof. Why put a hole in a perfectly good roof?
For the "sun" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
We have had them on the last 4 vehicles, from F150 Platinum to wife's Lincoln. I think each one was opened once, prefer not to have it on the ST.

hbalek

Reactions
The first vehicle I bought was a 1995 Mercury Mystique fully loaded except sunroof and CD player. I kicked myself for not getting both of those for the next 8 years of ownership. After that every car I've owned has had one!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I like the view although I never open them. 50% ceramic tint and I can hardly tell the difference with the shade open or closed in the summer as far as heat goes. Did the same with my Platnium F150 with the pano roof.

Griffin

Reactions
We use it all the time..

Also, got around to fixing the loud knocking sounds that was coming from the screen when going 40-90km

FYI:
If anyone wants to know of the quick fix, I read somewhere here or FB group that if you put a spacer between the silver metal bars on the inside/bottom screen and the base it will stop the noise.

It's about 3-4cm gap, so I used a strip of cardboard and folded it over a few times and the adjust accordingly from there.

Just thought I'd add that since we're talking sunroof. I wish I knew who gave that pointer and give credit. If anyone wants pics, let me know..
There is another issue that can cause moonroof rattles. The bottom of the screen has that slim bar the runs the length side to side. It attaches to 4 or 5 clips mounted to the roof. When mine started to rattle, I noticed the bar was not seated in the two passenger side clips, which allows it to vibrate at high speed. Once I seated the bar back into the clips correctly, all the noises stopped. It is easy to do. Just places the bar in the clip and carefully pull up. It will have a snap feel when seated correctly. Make sure the bar is seated in all the clips. I do not know if you still need the cardboard in your vehicle but having the screen attached correctly to all the clips completely fixed the noises in mine.

Last edited:
Reactions
I went out of my way and probably didnt get the most fantastic deal in the world in order to get an ST WITHOUT a sunroof...

My wife and I will never open it(weve had vehicles with them and never opened them) so we figured it was a waste of weight, money, headroom, mechanical issues down the road, etc...

kwork417

Reactions
In my car, I open the sunroof a lot. Never open the shade unless I'm opening the roof.
In my wife's older Explorer, we RARELY ever open the sunroof. Not sure why but I don't think I would miss it.
Looks like I'll be searching for a unicorn when I finally pull the trigger on an ST. (No sunroof, no roof rails, and 2nd row Bench) Tech pkg and Street pack are practically standard options on every ST I've seen on lots around here.

Reactions
Funny how a lot of people are worried about head room with the sunroof yet I'm 6'10" tall and always wear a ball hat but don't have headroom issues with our moon roof. Sounds like an excuse looking for a reason but it's a none issue for me. Heck I'm closer to the roof of my Ram 2500 then I am in the 2021 Explorer.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My previous Explorer had a sun roof and the grand kids loved it. When I told them that I had bought a new one they told me that if it didn't have a sun roof I was fired. I'm not sure they can do that, but why take the chance.

Reactions
Had the pano roof in my VW TDI Sportwagen just a nightmare with leaking in the front and rear of the car. I fixed it myself which was real fun to do. Just before I traded it in for my ST the sunshade started to become unglued from the track and sag. My wife has a sunroof in her Mariner she usually uses it to vent the vehicle during the summer. She forgot it was opened and had a thunderstorm roll through so that made a bit of a mess. It appears to have had the gasket redone before we got it in 2015. I loved the t-top in my 85 Mustang GT put a little vaseline on the gasket and no leaks. Be fun to do t-tops again. So this vehicle I went with good old fashioned roof with no glass.

Reactions
I don't open it much but I like having the light and being able to see upwards.
I also have the glass roof on my mustang (non opening) and I love being able to see upwards in the mountains and in the city.

I'm 6'2" and do not find that the headroom is lacking on these vehicles with the sunroof. Some of you must have the seat jacked up to the point that the rear view mirror is right at eye level or something like that if you are having trouble.

Reactions
Im 6’4 and there is still a few inches above my head for room. For the people complaining, lower your seat man lol.
I would never buy one without a sunroof. That’s a huge resale option. I don’t use it all the time but absolutely do like you use it now and then.