Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Subframe bushing braces and billet vertical links.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve played with a lot of parts on my car…very few made an eye opening difference. The rear swaybar is one, drop springs…an intercooler is another one…now these things are out there in the wild and whether you go with FenFab or Steeda doesn’t matter as long as you get a set. The difference is immediate and substantial. This is truly how the car should have felt from the factory. You may not know it but you NEED a subframe bushing brace kit. And while you’re in there Brett has his billet vertical links live on his site now too.

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Excellent advice. I put the subframe kit on a couple weeks ago and noticed the difference immediately. Have the steeds vertical link reinforcement kit ready to go on when I get back from Florida. Seeing Brett’s links I am kind of sorry I got the steeds kit but we will see how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Excellent advice. I put the subframe kit on a couple weeks ago and noticed the difference immediately. Have the steeds vertical link reinforcement kit ready to go on when I get back from Florida. Seeing Brett’s links I am kind of sorry I got the steeds kit but we will see how they do.

I have the Steeda vertical link insert installed as well but I still have Brett’s billet links ordered. I’ll flip the Steeda kit when I swap out the parts.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have the Steeda vertical link insert installed as well but I still have Brett’s billet links ordered. I’ll flip the Steeda kit when I swap out the parts.
They definitely look like a better solution albeit more expensive. Likely a slightly better product given the billet.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My order of effectiveness: 1. RSB, 2. Lowering springs, 3. PIU struts/shocks, 4. subframe bushings inserts.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
My order of effectiveness: 1. RSB, 2. Lowering springs, 3. PIU struts/shocks, 4. subframe bushings inserts.
I don’t disagree but until there’s actual proof the PIU parts are different I think replacing any shocks and struts over 50-60k miles will see a nice improvement….PIU or ST replacements.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Couldn't have said it better Richard. People don't understand how much of a change these subframe bushing inserts make. This is a must do mod. And super easy too.

And I'll have to order up Brett's vertical links as well. I got the Steeda VLI as they were cheap, but also in my head I thought the vertical links were harder to replace than they actually are. Travis' video was awesome.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I have the Steeda VLI's on my WTB list but those look much nicer. Can you provide a link to them please?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Could you go into a bit more detail about bushing inserts.
What exactly do you notice about the drive?
I really dont do many launches but wonder how these would affect the ride quality.
I have Steeda springs and rear sway bar, plus the CV fab intercooler and E50 tune.
As always thanks for the insight.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I found the most noticeable difference in cornering, especially coming off the highway. It’s hard to describe other than the vehicle feels more planted. I hit the off ramps pretty aggressively and she stays flat and hooked. Same thing when accelerating through the curves of the on ramps. It’s just something you have to feel for yourself. Very easy to install also. Took me less than an hour.

Last edited:

Stone - ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
One of my rear shocks is leaking bad with 27K miles. I tried to order the PIU rear shocks from Varsity Ford and they said my VIN was invalid. I ordered:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
LB5Z-18125-J Shock Absorber Assembly $113.12 2 $226.24

Do I try to find the VIN for an interceptor to give them? Thx

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Nope…that’s right.

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
So these really just reduce wheel hop? Is that all they do, or are there other improvements to be had also?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So these really just reduce wheel hop? Is that all they do, or are there other improvements to be had also?
Subframe kit Improved handling significantly imo.

Last edited:
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Everything improves…no cons. I’d rate these high in the top 5 most effective mods available for these cars…factor in the low cost…top 2.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Nope…that’s right.
I just had to send them a message that I did indeed want the PIU shocks instead of the stock ones. Going to install them tomorrow. It is really squirrely with one shock with little oil.

ssw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have the Gearhead tune, CVF Intercooler, front and rear AFE sway bars and I never thought about the subframe kit. Big thanks to UNBROKEN, I would not have done this mod but for your great review/recomendation. Huge improvement in ride, handling and feel, Totally agree with UNBROKEN, definately a top 5 mod. $215 at Steeda and $75 front end alignment, this mod is a no brainer

Reactions
I’ve played with a lot of parts on my car…very few made an eye opening difference. The rear swaybar is one, drop springs…an intercooler is another one…now these things are out there in the wild and whether you go with FenFab or Steeda doesn’t matter as long as you get a set. The difference is immediate and substantial. This is truly how the car should have felt from the factory. You may not know it but you NEED a subframe bushing brace kit. And while you’re in there Brett has his billet vertical links live on his site now too.
Do the bushings & the vertical links go hand in hand? Or could I start with what's available (bushings) ? Do I need both?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Bushing braces first. Vertical links after toe links.