Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stupid NC Tint Laws

mpmST

Reactions
All,

I live in NC, where the laws for tints is pretty dumb for SUVs. I was wondering if anyone in NC or other states has dealt with a similar law, and what the best option would be to have a uniform, legal tint across the whole ST.

1644440176209.png

With the rear and back end already having the factory 20%, would it look dumb to put the legal 35% up front and have mismatched tint levels? I guess it wouldn't look as silly as it looks now with nothing on the front windows :oops:

If anyone has a similar picture of mismatched tints on their ST, pics would be greatly appreciated! (mine is '21 Agate Black)

-Matt

Reactions
This is the same as Texas. I went 35% on the front and darker on the rear, I think it looks good and keeps the interior cool on these hot Texas days IMG_3814.jpg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I usually match the fronts to the rears. I've also been running 10% (maybe 15) 3M Chrystalline on the front windshield for 20 years or so. Never had a problem and it really helps with heat rejection. I also usually do the sunroof.

Reactions
Those are the same laws in Georgia. I've done 20% at the front and haven't gotten stopped. Just roll down your windows if you approach a cop or what I do sometimes is open the sunroof (so might light gets in) so it doesn't look obvious you're trying to hide tint.

riverbadboy

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Might get a Dr letter that states that you may be genetically inclined to develop melanoma. I did it when I was in NC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Same law in Oregon, except I have a dr. note that allows for darker tint.

OP
mpmST

mpmST

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
thanks for the responses guys!

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
How strict are your local police on tint?
Most of the local cops in my part of NC have darker window tint on there patrol cars than legal anyway. hard part is finding somone to inspect it every year and finding somone to do it.

I drive all over NC for work every week including downtown Charlotte and Raleigh have put probably 500k miles over the last 16 years all over NC. illegal window tint the whole time on 2 diffrent superdutys . even ben pulled over a few times and given speeding tickets, license check and so on..... only person who has ever said a word was 2 diffrent guys that would not pass it on inspection in 16 years. And those shops don't get my business or anyone I know. becase they are assholes over all not just about window tint..

now after saying this I may get a ticket tomorrow lol

but I got my ST Saturday and am planing on getting the fronts to match the backs like I have in every other vehicle I have owned. when I get some time this comming week

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Cops know the rear is always a darker tint. If they see a vehicle with matching tint front & rear they know it's most likely illegal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
In BC we are not allowed ANY tint on the front windows. Alberta the Province right next to us allows it. The reasoning just doesn't make sense. I wish we could tint it but cops get a hard-on for giving out dumb tickets here.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
It's a crapshoot. I've had 20% on my X5 front windows for 2 years with no issues. (NC)

Reactions
In BC we are not allowed ANY tint on the front windows. Alberta the Province right next to us allows it. The reasoning just doesn't make sense. I wish we could tint it but cops get a hard-on for giving out dumb tickets here.
That isn't correct. No tint is allowed on the windshield whatsoever, and no tint (or even clear film) is allowed on the front side windows in Alberta.

Nearly everyone still does it, but it doesn't mean it's legal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2x 2023 Explorer STs
Ohio is 50% on the fronts and anything on the rest of the windows... as long as its not reflective. Windshield is the top 5in only. I have 20% on my fronts and I have yet to have an issue. It seems as if much of the local LEOs dont mind the tint unless you give them a reason to. However, I made the choice to go darker and I would have no one to blame but myself if I was given a citation

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve run 20% on windshield the past 20 years in Illinois with no issue. Usually tint the fronts windows to match the rear windows. Even the 20% on the windshield really cuts down on IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
This is the same as Texas. I went 35% on the front and darker on the rear, I think it looks good and keeps the interior cool on these hot Texas days View attachment 10083
Remember in 2025 the state of Texas will no longer require you to have your vehicle inspected yearly.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Tint is always a fun discussion since it's so diff from state to state. I've had every vehicle tinted (all windows but windshield) since my second car. The biggest factor is the cop pulling you over and the reason he has to check (time of day, reason for stop, etc). I've always rolled all my windows down when pulled over so that they feel comfortable and only been asked once to roll them back up so they could check. My cars have all been limo tint (5% or less) all around so I stand out for sure.

I've had a cop use a light meter once and ding me. The area I'm in now they rarely have the meters to prove the tint level. That being said you're always risking it doing beyond the limit. I'm OCD and always want the windows to match. My last time being pulled over he didn't say anything about the windows since I was speeding. Do what you like on the vehicle and if you're beyond the limit for your state than just don't give cop a hard time for stopping you. Be polite and respectful of his time and they may let you off with warning since you're not busting their chops.