Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Street Pak winter wheels and tires

Gibson

Reactions
Wanting a narrower wheel than stock 21’s for winter. Understand police !8’s have offset for Brembos. Do they accommodate the speedo settings and what purpose specific snow not all season speed rated tire do they use?
Tire Rack has a 21” Pirelli Scorpion snow with sound insulated liner option - any idea how wide or practical they are or other suggestions appreciated. Cost secondary.

OHST

Reactions
You can go down to 18" and still clear the brakes, just need to get taller tires.

FoRSe

Reactions
You can go down to 18" and still clear the brakes, just need to get taller tires.
I haven't purchased an ST yet but have talked to the dealer about winter rims/tires as I'm going to price those into the deal. They indicated the Police Interceptor 18" steel rims will clear the ST Street Pack brakes, as you also confirm, because the PI uses oversized calipers, heavy duty brakes. The Pirelli Scorpion Winter 265/60 R18 114H XL might be a good tire option for those rims. I think the PI rim/wheel cap combo would be a great choice for a 'stealth' look in the winter.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/brochures/20_Police_Brochure_Spds_MR.pdf (Page 11 B & C)

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/find-your-tires/product-sheet/scorpion-winter

Reactions
What he said. Taller tires will accommodate for the smaller wheel size.

Reactions
Are we SURE that the 18"PI rims will fit the Street Pack brake calipers for sure?
Has anyone confirmed this...

merco

Reactions
Wanting a narrower wheel than stock 21’s for winter. Understand police !8’s have offset for Brembos. Do they accommodate the speedo settings and what purpose specific snow not all season speed rated tire do they use?
Tire Rack has a 21” Pirelli Scorpion snow with sound insulated liner option - any idea how wide or practical they are or other suggestions appreciated. Cost secondary.
Gibson, I'm selling my winter tire/wheel set for my former ST: https://www.explorerst.org/threads/2020-explorer-st-winter-tire-and-wheel-package-for-sale.334/

OP
G

Gibson

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I used the winter Pirelli insulated - they were perfect

Reactions
I just got new rims and Blizzaks from TireRack, $1800. 20201021_175512.jpg

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Was there anything at all to suggest that ANY 18" should work? I know that Tire Rack has some built in filters (which is why I love it), but if ANY 18" fits around the calipers, that is REALLY good news. I don't see American racing doing anything special with their wheels...

Reactions
Was there anything at all to suggest that ANY 18" should work? I know that Tire Rack has some built in filters (which is why I love it), but if ANY 18" fits around the calipers, that is REALLY good news. I don't see American racing doing anything special with their wheels...
When I input the ST with street pack it didn't return any results and told me to call them, which I did. This is what the guy recommended in an 18" wheel:

18x8 American Eagle AE901 GLS
P255/65R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 SL

So I don't think there is anything special about them.

Reactions
Here are some close ups, the rim is pretty close to the calipers without touching. 20201022_112556.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
When I input the ST with street pack it didn't return any results and told me to call them, which I did.
Odd. I ordered a year ago and the Tirerack website returned quite a few 18" rims, but by no means, all 18's that they carry. I think as long as your offsets aren't out of line and the wheel bore is large enough to fit the appropriate hubcentric ring, it should be fine.

The KMC KM708 i got from Tirerack were 18x8 38mm offset and clears the calipers but come close.

Reactions
Odd. I ordered a year ago and the Tirerack website returned quite a few 18" rims, but by no means, all 18's that they carry. I think as long as your offsets aren't out of line and the wheel bore is large enough to fit the appropriate hubcentric ring, it should be fine.

The KMC KM708 i got from Tirerack were 18x8 38mm offset and clears the calipers but come close.
It might be because I was filtered by winter tire/rim packages, when I removed the street pack filter, the set I ended up getting popped up.

Reactions
When I input the ST with street pack it didn't return any results and told me to call them, which I did. This is what the guy recommended in an 18" wheel:

18x8 American Eagle AE901 GLS
P255/65R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 SL

So I don't think there is anything special about them.
I've used them many times in the past and their filters take into account different options/packages. I also see 59 wheel options in 18" when searching for a 2020 Explorer ST with Street package. Great choice in tires. Blizzaks are my go to winter tire. Nice wheel/tire package!! I went with 20" and a 255/55 tires (waiting for them to come in). 1603391283139.png

Reactions
Luckily there is a TireRack dist center in Denver, I ordered around 10AM and picked them up at 3:30pm.

Reactions
Pick Winter Tire and Wheel Package and you get this:
View attachment 2263
You are correct. I just got the same message. I ordered mine as a package as well and it showed tons of options in all sizes before. Now you have to call in. Hmmm...:unsure: I will say that the Blizzaks never showed up for me before due to their load rating (is what I heard) when putting together a winter package. I had to call in because they came in the size I wanted when just searching for tires. My rep said their filters are very strict with the recommendations.