Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock 2020 Explorer ST Wheel Variant Question

F=MA

Reactions
Would a custom wheel (22x10.5) with a 305/40R22 tire that fits on a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (that came originally with the factory 20 inch wheel package and also has H&R lowering springs installed) also fit on a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (that came originally with the factory 21 inch street package and also has H&R lowering springs installed)? I am aware of the different wheel dimensions and offsets. What I do not know is the potential clearance gotcha's between the different brake caliper sizes if any.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
With a +30 offset yes the 305/40 will clear. It may slightly rub with a +35 or higher. 305/35 will clear with +35.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
With a +30 offset yes the 305/40 will clear. It may slightly rub with a +35 or higher. 305/35 will clear with +35.
How about using a 22x10 wheel?

Reactions
Would a custom wheel (22x10.5) with a 305/40R22 tire that fits on a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (that came originally with the factory 20 inch wheel package and also has H&R lowering springs installed) also fit on a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (that came originally with the factory 21 inch street package and also has H&R lowering springs installed)? I am aware of the different wheel dimensions and offsets. What I do not know is the potential clearance gotcha's between the different brake caliper sizes if any.
Yes. See me. Make sure you run +30 offset. I originally went with a +35 offset with 305/40’s and there was a very slight rub. Not much. I added a 6mm spacer. (Thanks to Unbroken!) C8DF1ACC-5B57-4FCD-A0D5-45A77D43E3E8.jpeg

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Like those wheels! Look custom with the ST logos. Is that a '21 Carbonized Gray?

Last edited:
Reactions
Thank you. This is a 2020 Silver Spruce. The color is no longer available for 2021.

Reactions
Yes. See me. Make sure you run +30 offset. I originally went with a +35 offset with 305/40’s and there was a very slight rub. Not much. I added a 6mm spacer. (Thanks to Unbroken!) View attachment 3166
Did the rubbing stop with the spacers? Did you get longer studs or did the normal ones work?

Reactions
Actually there really wasn’t any rubbing. No marks on inner well. However, when pinned it felt a little too close for me. Added spacers and now she’s got little more space. No issues. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Brucecris, you have confused me above. You said to +30 offset, then added 6mm spacers. Doesn’t that make you a +36 offset basically?
I am ordering my wheels in the next week or so and the vendor called the company, Vossen, and was told without hesitation 22x10.5 +35 is the size for the ST. Just trying to make sure I order the right stuff.

Reactions
Brucecris, you have confused me above. You said to +30 offset, then added 6mm spacers. Doesn’t that make you a +36 offset basically?
I am ordering my wheels in the next week or so and the vendor called the company, Vossen, and was told without hesitation 22x10.5 +35 is the size for the ST. Just trying to make sure I order the right stuff.
+30 is what you want to go with for a more flush look if you are going to run bigger tires. 305-40-22 for no issues with that offset.

Reactions
Sorry if I was confusing. I should rephrase for clarity and because things have changed since I posted this. My wheels are +35. I also am running a 305/40r22 which is a full 1” larger than 305/35’s. This caused me to worry about rubbing at full turn so I put on 6mm spacers to push she wheel out a bit. This would mirror the look of a +29 offset. After some testing I removed the spacers and stayed at the natural +35 because I was not rubbing at all and liked the front wheel position at this offset. The rear wheel still tucks. If I was running 305/30’s I would never have put on spacers so for me it was all about the tire and not the wheel offset.

From my experience and opinion the offset I will run in the future is +35 up front and +30 in the rear.

Reactions
The spacers? Where do the spacers factor into this? That changes the offset, I was mistaken in the first post. A 6mm spacer is essentially -6 making the offset 24 basically. I understand it’s a little cheat to create a little more room in the rear but at that point why not a 24 offset from the start? Really just trying to understand, not argue or debate.

Reactions
Sorry if I was confusing. I should rephrase for clarity and because things have changed since I posted this. My wheels are +35. I also am running a 305/40r22 which is a full 1” larger than 305/35’s. This caused me to worry about rubbing at full turn so I put on 6mm spacers to push she wheel out a bit. This would mirror the look of a +29 offset. After some testing I removed the spacers and stayed at the natural +35 because I was not rubbing at all and liked the front wheel position at this offset. The rear wheel still tucks. If I was running 305/30’s I would never have put on spacers so for me it was all about the tire and not the wheel offset.

From my experience and opinion the offset I will run in the future is +35 up front and +30 in the rear.

Reactions

Ok, I’m with you now. We were typing at the same time so disregard the spacer addition. My plan is +35 22x10.5 with a Pzero 315/35.

Reactions
The spacers? Where do the spacers factor into this? That changes the offset, I was mistaken in the first post. A 6mm spacer is essentially -6 making the offset 24 basically. I understand it’s a little cheat to create a little more room in the rear but at that point why not a 24 offset from the start? Really just trying to understand, not argue or debate.
Not arguing. Not a problem. The lower the offset the further out the wheel is stanced.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...=40&wheel_size=22&wheel_width=10-5&offset2=29

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The spacer changed the backspace by 6mm.

Reactions
No, it’s not. Everything about that fit was wrong.
Oh I agree 110% and that’s why I appreciate the info so much. Exactly what not to do! His third option, wish list, is how I ended up where I am as far as measurements go. Although after looking at your set up, tires specifically, I’ll be running 305s.

Bones

Reactions
Yes. See me. Make sure you run +30 offset. I originally went with a +35 offset with 305/40’s and there was a very slight rub. Not much. I added a 6mm spacer. (Thanks to Unbroken!) View attachment 3166
I love the wheels! What kind are they?