Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering Wheel Play

Reactions
Hey All,

I just got my vehicle back (again) and driving home I noticed that it felt like I was fighting the vehicle more to keep it straight and there was more play in the steering wheel. So when I got home I noticed even when the vehicle is off there is few degrees of play in either direction (I don't remember this being there before) and I can hear the movement under the hood. I tried to take a really short video of the movement (this takes no effort to move the wheel).

Video

If you listen closely you can hear the movement under the hood as well. Anyone else have this sort of movement? If not I'm thinking of looking for any loose bolts on the steering shaft and if not, yet another trip to the dealer is in the near future (I really hope I can avoid that one).

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's not a good sound. My guess is a loose steering wheel. Have somebody turn the wheel while looking under the hood or under the rack to see if it is isolated to the steerign wheel or possibly coming from the rack or something loose.

I came from full sized trucks for a while and the steering is so tight I sometimes grab too much wheel and off I go :) Took me a while to get used to it.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
That's not a good sound. My guess is a loose steering wheel. Have somebody turn the wheel while looking under the hood or under the rack to see if it is isolated to the steerign wheel or possibly coming from the rack or something loose.

I came from full sized trucks for a while and the steering is so tight I sometimes grab too much wheel and off I go :) Took me a while to get used to it.
That's what I was thinking as well, but with not having my vehicle for almost 4 months of this year so far I felt better asking and getting confirmation before taking any actions (almost thought it could have just been in my head haha). I have a feeling I'll take it back in and make them fix it so it's all documented as well.

I appreciate the response

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I went back to the dealer this morning (rather than try to figure it out myself) and they did have to disconnect the steering shaft for the repair they just did. They re-aligned and tightened everything and it's back to normal now again. Now I hope I won't have to go back until the first oil change at 1000 miles on the new engine.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sucks that you had to take it back a second time but good that they fixed it. This is what really bugs me about dealers. They charge high labor rates and my expectation is you get better quality. You do not which is why I do most all of my own work. I know it was warranty but they should have done it right the first time.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Sucks that you had to take it back a second time but good that they fixed it. This is what really bugs me about dealers. They charge high labor rates and my expectation is you get better quality. You do not which is why I do most all of my own work. I know it was warranty but they should have done it right the first time.
I agree with you, and I always dread having to have work done by the dealer, but picking up the bill for the engine replacement and all wasn't something I'd be on board with for a vehicle that is a year old ahaha. What's really funny is that I was talking with the service manager last night about the lack of quality and they were even in agreement. Things should be done right the first time.