Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda powdercoating question

JTwizzST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey Guys!!

New to Explorers and this forum but not new to cars.. Been reading a bunch about different mods and I have found a few posts regarding Steeda's powder coating not being very friendly to the northern-tiered states for purposes of corrosion. Would it be worthwhile to get one and have it re-coated or perhaps go with the PIU version? I don't think I am going to need much adjustability but want the thicker bar.

Thanks!!

JT

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, there is also the aFe sway bar too--although time will tell how durable the finish on that is.

OP
J

JTwizzST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Gotcha.. I am leaning towards the PIU, mostly for that reason, but the roads around here are more like "urban off-roading" than typical roads.. I am about 30 miles outside of Boston and the road salt is absolutely destructive to cars and finishes. Do you know what the size of the aFe is?? Is there any merit to aftermarket links? Does anyone even make aftermarket links?

Thanks again!!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

OP
J

JTwizzST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Thanks!! I suppose I would have to have the springs done. Now, I need to see if I can get my ride looked at. Pulling out of my spot at work, "Traction Control" light came on.. I straightened out and started driving when I suddenly got 6 or 7 alerts, Hill Descent Assist, Lane Keep Asisist, ABS, Pre-Collision Assist, etc... Sounds like the TSB 20-2071 or something like that whereas one of the speed sensors needs to be changed.. Hopefully that's it.. I haven't even put 300 miles on it..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m considering pulling my rear springs and having them powedercoated. I love Steedas products but in this day and age there is no excuse for rusting springs in 18 months imo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Any suspension component that flexes and twists will crack away the powder coating and rust. My Steeda bar was wasted after two years, but my OE springs and front sway bar look perfect after four years and 40,000 miles in MI & OH. The PIU rear bar will probably hold up just as well. Ford used to call it E-Coating many years back, but I’m not sure what it’s called now.

Throw on the PIU part and be done. The factory springs (ST/PIU) are actually quite good, and if you tow anything, they are that much better.