Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda Front Sway Bar

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
New Steeda front sway bar available on the website: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-1037-explorer-front-sway-bar
I'm curious to see how balanced the handling is when paired with their rear sway bar. Will it need to be left on the softest setting with the rear on the stiffest? Time will tell!

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m sticking with my story that there’s better things to spend your money on than a front swaybar for these IRS cars. Cost combined with install difficulty pushes them into not a good buy territory.
I would recommend doing some reading on swaybars and IRS before buying.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Too late. Already bought one ;-)

Reactions
I’m sticking with my story that there’s better things to spend your money on than a front swaybar for these IRS cars. Cost combined with install difficulty pushes them into not a good buy territory.
Yeah, based on your experience I’m not going to bother now. Money better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Total waste. It’s 35mm just like the base model and PIU front bars. The ST front bar is smaller (at 34mm) for a reason.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Total waste. It’s 35mm just like the base model and PIU front bars. The ST front bar is smaller (at 34mm) for a reason.
Maybe for the same reason that the rear bar is smaller? Lol

Reactions
Ford does that for the masses. The PIU sway bars are 35/23 compared to 34/21.7 on the ST. If you want better/tighter turn-in for an IRS vehicle, you put a bigger bar on the rear.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I am sure your probably right. I’m also putting in the Steeda rear bar and toe links, intercooler, setina skid plates, some wheel spacers, ID link diff brace, etc. Haven’t bothered with exhaust or cold air intake. Considering a set of CV Fab downpipes (or whoosh? Not sure what the difference is between the two).

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I am sure your probably right. I’m also putting in the Steeda rear bar and toe links, intercooler, setina skid plates, some wheel spacers, ID link diff brace, etc. Haven’t bothered with exhaust or cold air intake. Considering a set of CV Fab downpipes (or whoosh? Not sure what the difference is between the two).
Steeda toe links are kinda stupid too. There’s already an oem adjustment on them…the second one on their links makes no sense. FenFab makes a solid toe link without the extra failure points built in.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You have to look at the suspension as a system. The engineers also are trying to satisfy the masses (as @jrgoffin ) says, but the bars are not the only component. The shock valving also plays a part in the response rate of the suspension; no one seems to be mentioning that. One can't just bolt on the largest bars. Even then, material choices and hollow vs solid bars will have different shear modulus.

What I'm saying is that one needs a "balanced" system, and just buying "bigger = better" is not the answer.Even the CG will have an impact if the springs allow for lowering. I would tend to trust the Steeda system, or the PIU parts. It depends on what you want, a lowered look, better handling, both? All have compromises.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I’m not Mario Andretti but I do like to whip it around corners and off ramps. I’m just looking to reduce body roll and make the handling a little more precise. I’m actually quite impressed with the ride as it is but think it can use a bit of improvement. I did see the fenfab toe links but assumed the steeda version even with unnecessary adjustments would still provide the additional strength provided by the FenFab versions. I could be wrong for sure.

@TMac you are right. I haven’t read much at all about the other suspension parts. I’m certainly open to your advice and recommendations. I am in the minority here- I like the tall ride height and don’t want to lower it even though I know that would also improve handling. Given that, what other upgrades would you (and @UNBROKEN) suggest?

P.S. I also ordered the red start button which I understand is good for at least an additional 10 Hp ;-)

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m not Mario Andretti but I do like to whip it around corners and off ramps. I’m just looking to reduce body roll and make the handling a little more precise. I’m actually quite impressed with the ride as it is but think it can use a bit of improvement. I did see the fenfab toe links but assumed the steeda version even with unnecessary adjustments would still provide the additional strength provided by the FenFab versions. I could be wrong for sure.

@TMac you are right. I haven’t read much at all about the other suspension parts. I’m certainly open to your advice and recommendations. I am in the minority here- I like the tall ride height and don’t want to lower it even though I know that would also improve handling. Given that, what other upgrades would you (and @UNBROKEN) suggest?

P.S. I also ordered the red start button which I understand is good for at least an additional 10 Hp ;-)
If you just want an opinion, due to the amount of engineering and testing, I'd buy the complete bars and shocks for the PIU. If I wanted it lowered, I'd buy the Steeda components.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
If you just want an opinion, due to the amount of engineering and testing, I'd buy the complete bars and shocks for the PIU. If I wanted it lowered, I'd buy the Steeda components.
Thanks. I definitely do not want to lower the vehicle. Already have Steeda Front and Rear bars and toe links. What shocks and what other components would you recommend?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you already have the other Steeda components, you should consider their springs as well.

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for being the tester and sharing your results!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
If you already have the other Steeda components, you should consider their springs as well.
I would but my wife drives it more than I do and she loves that it rides high. She wouldn’t let me lower it so I need to find an alternative to the lowering springs.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
It's funny because when I did the rear sway bar (Steeda) it helped a lot with body roll, so as a result I called Steeda and asked when will they be making a front sway bar? Thier response was "the factory sway bar was good, and they didn't see a need to design another aftermarket one!" Fast forward... and now they are doing one! Maybe they needed a bump in revenue?

Reactions
It's funny because when I did the rear sway bar (Steeda) it helped a lot with body roll, so as a result I called Steeda and asked when will they be making a front sway bar? Thier response was "the factory sway bar was good, and they didn't see a need to design another aftermarket one!" Fast forward... and now they are doing one! Maybe they needed a bump in revenue?
From a Steeda standpoint, we understand that not everyone (including our internal stakeholders) are always aware of our future product developments.

However, I can assure you that based on our history, we feel there is a only limited number of parts that can't be improved over the OE parts. If we don't bring it to market, it's because either it's not in our wheelhouse or it's not going to be enough of an improvement to warrant the investment.

When you look at our track record, you'll notice that we are always focused on improving components such as swaybars, both front, and rear.

The first review is in regarding the front swaybar - "The body roll and cornering is improved. Lane changes feel more solid to me than before at high speed! Tested at 105 this morning."

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
From a Steeda standpoint, we understand that not everyone (including internal stakeholders) is always aware of our future product developments. However, we can assure you that based on our history, we believe that there is a limited number of parts that cannot be improved over the original equipment (OE). We may not bring a limited number of to market because they do not provide enough value or may not be cost-effective, or they may not align with our expertise.

When you look at our track record, you'll notice that we are always focused on improving components such as swaybars, both front, and rear.

First review is in regarding the front swaybar - "The body roll and cornering is improved. Lane changes feel more solid to me than before at high speed! Tested at 105 this morning."

Best Regards,

TJ
I'm a fan of your products...however, based on your grammar, sentence structure, and that "review", you should probably let someone else in the company communicate to those in the enthusiast community. Stick to twitter.

Reactions
I'm a fan of your products...however, based on your grammar, sentence structure, and that "review", you should probably let someone else in the company communicate to those in the enthusiast community. Stick to twitter.
When you are working after hours & you have two (2) kids running around - it leads to some distractions.

Thank you for your understanding,

TJ