Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST vs Aviator for towing

Sri

Reactions
Vehicle
Interested in Explorer ST 2022
We are trying to decide between the Aviator and Explorer ST. The base Aviator is a few thousand more in price than the ST and hence these appear to be a reasonable comparison. I want to have a vehicle (not truck) that makes a decent tow vehicle if we decide to purchase a camper (e.g., dry weight of 4000 lbs and a maximum weight (GVWR) of 5000 lbs), which is the main reason that the Explorer ST/ Aviator is so appealing to us. Since these will be used as our family vehicle most of the time, we don't want to get the biggest SUV (expedition/navigator). I can get the higher-performance brakes with the ST (so that's a plus for ST). I understand ST has a firmer suspension than Aviator. How does that impact towing (if at all)? Trying to understand pros and cons of either. Thanks for your help.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST High Perf Package
Well, we had an Aviator Grand Touring Edition (3.0 Twin turbo V6 plus Plug-in Hybrid) and got out of that lease recently, and purchased an Explorer ST instead. We haven't towed with either (the Aviator didn't even had a hitch, and we just haven't had the opportunity with the Explorer yet) so I can only comment about ride quality between the two.

The Aviator was quite a bit faster, due to being a hybrid - same power train as the explorer ST plus the extra push of the electric motor. But unless you had it in "excite" mode (which basically disabled the electric motor) it was a bouncy bouncy old-man's limo - ewwwww. Compared to that, the Explorer ST is an awesome ride. Very tight and firm. much preferred. I really do miss the PHEV capability of the Aviator, but I really feel like we went from a Lincoln to a Ford and actually got an upgrade along the way. Weird.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Get an after-market rear sway bar. Steeda's is nice. Also check your state's regulations for trailer brakes. Florida requires them above 3,500# trailer weight. Texas may be similar. 5,000 # is pretty close to the maximum for the ST.

Have you towed a trailer before? If not; practice, practice, practice. About a hundred years ago, my Mom and I towed a pop-up camper across the US with a '66 Pontiac Tempest. I got so I could back the trailer between two trees that were only a little bit farther apart than the trailer width.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Get an after-market rear sway bar. Steeda's is nice. Also check your state's regulations for trailer brakes. Florida requires them above 3,500# trailer weight. Texas may be similar. 5,000 # is pretty close to the maximum for the ST.

Have you towed a trailer before? If not; practice, practice, practice. About a hundred years ago, my Mom and I towed a pop-up camper across the US with a '66 Pontiac Tempest. I got so I could back the trailer between two trees that were only a little bit farther apart than the trailer width.
Why do you recommend an aftermarket rear sway bar for towing??

OP
S

Sri

Reactions
Vehicle
Interested in Explorer ST 2022
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the insights. Yes, the trailer has its own braking and I believe comes with options for different sway controls (haven't gotten that far yet since we are first selecting the tow/family vehicle first). No, I don't have practice towing..

Reactions
The Aviator has the 10R80 transmission and the correct rear subframe assembly (not impacted by Explorer recall). If I had known that, I would have been swayed towards the Aviator in our decision.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
The Aviator has the 10R80 transmission and the correct rear subframe assembly (not impacted by Explorer recall). If I had known that, I would have been swayed towards the Aviator in our decision.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Hey, kinda late, but if you remember: is the 10R80 for the hybrid Aviator, and gas-only is the 10R60? I assumed so since the Explorer HEV is 10R80-MHT and the gas only Ex is 10R60. Source? All I have rn is this wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission