Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST - Storm Trooper Build

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So I've been curious about the 305/35 vs 305/40 thing. I wanted to do 305/40s because of a) availability of different tires and b) look. I don't like the look of super low profile tires, especially on a really large wheel (e.g., 22"). What is the drawback to running an overall inch larger diameter? There will be less clearance of course, but assuming we can figure out a offset that would make it work (40mm? or am I going in the wrong direction--i forget and have to re-learn it again every time...) is there an issue to this I'm not seeing? If the overall setup ends up being lighter (significantly lighter if forged wheels are used) that would be overall less inertia to overcome when accelerating...
+35 on a 10.5 would clear. The 40 would add a few lbs over the 35 but also put it in the worst possible place...not to mention the larger diameter would kill some gearing. The overall weight savings would be mostly negated by the larger diameter.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #102
So I've been curious about the 305/35 vs 305/40 thing. I wanted to do 305/40s because of a) availability of different tires and b) look. I don't like the look of super low profile tires, especially on a really large wheel (e.g., 22"). What is the drawback to running an overall inch larger diameter? There will be less clearance of course, but assuming we can figure out a offset that would make it work (40mm? or am I going in the wrong direction--i forget and have to re-learn it again every time...) is there an issue to this I'm not seeing? If the overall setup ends up being lighter (significantly lighter if forged wheels are used) that would be overall less inertia to overcome when accelerating...
It would help curb weight for sure but the overall larger diameter will still spin at a less rate. If youre not worried about the hp i think you will be fine with the right offset. I plan to do many things to the engine and drive train to make this thing turn heads on acceleration (once available of course) will it be a 10s suv ... probably not but it can get close I’m sure with the right set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #103
+35 on a 10.5 would clear. The 40 would add a few lbs over the 35 but also put it in the worst possible place...not to mention the larger diameter would kill some gearing. The overall weight savings would be mostly negated by the larger diameter.
I guess I was typing while you were lol.

Reactions
Did you happen to weigh the factory wheel/tire setup btw? I know you did... lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you happen to weigh the factory wheel/tire setup btw? I know you did... lol
I weighed one of them on a certified scale at work...78.8 lbs.
My current set up is 63.3 lbs...again I only weighed one.

Reactions
I ended up doing 305/35.... I wanted 305/40 but it’s an inch longer in diameter lessening the revolution per mile. 315/35 are hard to find..

Michelin PSS are the best imo! Had many sets and they hug the road like crazy.

I can't wait to see them installed!!!

Reactions
305/40-22 its perfect

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
In some cases, yes.
On a 10.5 +30 wheel with drop springs they will likely rub the fender liner when turning. Perfect would also assume the owner was ok with giving up the gearing and taking the performance hit.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #112
Vossens are on! Very pleased

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #113
Copied UNBROKEN on the wiper. Looks clean.

And our new plates came in

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What did you use in the hole? The delete I ordered is at the house...I’ll find out later if it’s gonna fit or not.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #115
What did you use in the hole? The delete I ordered is at the house...I’ll find out later if it’s gonna fit or not.

I found a small plug in the tool box for the time being until i get the right plug. Going to Home Depot now to see if they have something that will replace the whole thing. Let me know if it fits.

Last edited:
OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #116
No luck at Home Depot.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Look up rear wiper delete plug on Google. I have a billet one to try when I get home in a couple of hours. I’ll let you know if it works.

100886F2-6A88-42C7-B777-844D74546B78.jpeg

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #118
Look up rear wiper delete plug on Google. I have a billet one to try when I get home in a couple of hours. I’ll let you know if it works.

View attachment 1633
Yeah that looks clean. Let me know.