Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST slams on the breaks when I try to reverse sometimes

eagleGSU

Reactions
Scares me too death. Has happened twice. When I put the car into reverse it'll make a beeping sound like something is behind me, but nothing is. When I start to reverse it'll slam on the breaks. It feels like I smashed into a car or something. Anybody else had this happen?

The first time it happened I pulled from a cement driveway onto asphalt so I thought maybe it picked up the different color surface, but today I was in the gas station parking lot and it did it again.

also is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

Last edited:

elphil

Reactions
See page 213 of the owners manual. Reverse parking aid.

Reactions
Scares me too death. Has happened twice. When I put the car into reverse it'll make a beeping sound like something is behind me, but nothing is. When I start to reverse it'll slam on the breaks. It feels like I smashed into a car or something. Anybody else had this happen?

The first time it happened I pulled from a cement driveway onto asphalt so I thought maybe it picked up the different color surface, but today I was in the gas station parking lot and it did it again.

also is there a way to turn this "feature" off?
Ha, i've almost soiled my pants a few times when that happened to me. For me it triggers, it seems, if i get sorta close to a car that is behind and to the side. I do believe you can disable it in the settings - driver assist section i think

Reactions
Happened once when there was nothing behind me. I actually got out of the car to look because I swore I hit something.

Reactions
Yes, it has happened to me also. I thought I had hit something.

Mark S.

Reactions
Yep have had the same issue scares the hell out of me every time.

hbalek

Reactions
This happened when I first got the vehicle but now after 3 months I've had no such incidents. I know that it will stop you within 1 foot of an object and won't brake gently at all.