Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST lagging when in reverse

Vanessa13

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m new here but I want to know if I should be worried. I have a 2021 Explorer ST and since yesterday it’s been lagging in reverse. When I put it in reverse and hit the accelerator it won’t go. Until 2-3 seconds later it’ll start backing up fast. I only have like 10k miles on it. I got this car because I previously had own a 2013 Explorer sport and a turbo blew and didn’t want to put money into fixing it. Now I’m very scared I might have issues with transmission. I know nothing about cars at all. And I just wanted a new car that wouldn’t give me issues for a very long time. And it hasn’t been a year since I got it and it’s already giving me issues. I’ll have a year in May. Can someone please help out and give me an idea of what I’m facing. I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. But I need to know how to explain it please.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Don't have a clue, but you explained it perfectly. Let us know what happens ...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is the e-brake on? Try turning it off before using reverse and see if that makes a difference.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Is the e-brake on? Try turning it off before using reverse and see if that makes a difference.
Yes, if you have the e-brake or auto brake on you may feel a slight hesitation before the vehicle moves.

OP
V

Vanessa13

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Yes, if you have the e-brake or auto brake on you may feel a slight hesitation before the vehicle moves.
No breaks are on when reversing

OP
V

Vanessa13

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
No breaks are on when reversing

OP
V

Vanessa13

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
UPDATE!
So it’s been at the shop since Wednesday AND… it’s gonna be there for the next 2 weeks turns out it’s the freaking TRANSMISSION! Sucks! Only 10k and I need a new trans already.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That's nuts. Who's putting together these things?
Hope they gave you a loaner car.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That's nuts. Who's putting together these things?
Hope they gave you a loaner car.
Yes, they are required to give you a loaner while under warranty. The dealership will be reimbursed by Ford while the vehicle is in for warranty work. I went through this several months ago when both my catalytic converter and throttle body went bad about the the same time. Dealer balked at loaner by got me one with a few hours after a call to Ford Customer Service.

OP
V

Vanessa13

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
So fortunately I was able to sell the car. I only owed about 5k on it and they appraised it at 51k! So I’m very grateful that despite the problems it had I was able to get my money back. Now I’m car hunting AGAIN but definitely won’t be going to Ford ever again. Or at least not anytime soon. The dealership offered me a Rental car idk if it was the same thing as a loaners vehicle. But I refused it and sold the car instead.