Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Drivers...Male vs Female

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Only my 4th vehicle, had 2 pickup trucks first, a beamer third which I traded on this st. I think the ST is my favorite all around car I’ve had, without just sheer performance coming into play
You get one step closer to "sheer performance" with FORD's new tune.;)

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
You get one step closer to "sheer performance" with FORD's new tune.;)
I can’t see it being that worth the money, I read through the forums talking about it. I’ve always used premium since I’ve always tuned my cars, so naturally I put premium in my st despite probably not having too. That being said, I feel like the gain for me would be even more minimalistic.
with a 10-15 hp gain, are you even shaving a 10th off the 0-60? I feel like the money would be better spent on lightweight wheels to increase acceleration. Or a real tune, if I ever decide it’s worth voiding the warrenty.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I can’t see it being that worth the money, I read through the forums talking about it. I’ve always used premium since I’ve always tuned my cars, so naturally I put premium in my st despite probably not having too. That being said, I feel like the gain for me would be even more minimalistic.
with a 10-15 hp gain, are you even shaving a 10th off the 0-60? I feel like the money would be better spent on lightweight wheels to increase acceleration. Or a real tune, if I ever decide it’s worth voiding the warrenty.
If you perceive "worth" as resulting from hp increases alone, then no, it won't satisfy your definition. But if you take into account the unsurpassed value of having a tune that's backed by FORD, which means that you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty (flash counters will expose 3rd party tuning) then FP's tune is of immeasurable value. Also note that the "minimalistic 10-15 hp gain" is no longer in question as FORD PERFORMANCE has corrected their chart to show hp results as "Base Premium Fuel vs FP Premium Fuel":

M-9603-EX30_HP.JPG

Regarding the reduction of 0-60 times, the standard rule of thumb is 1/10 sec for every 10 hp. So a solid 30 hp increase would be at least 3/10 sec, and with the accompanying increase in torque, their could be something closer to 1/2 sec reduction in acceleration times.

And incidentally, a tune is "real" whether it produces 30 hp or 100 hp.;)

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
If you perceive "worth" as resulting from hp increases alone, then no, it won't satisfy your definition. But if you take into account the unsurpassed value of having a tune that's backed by FORD, which means that you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty (flash counters will expose 3rd party tuning) then FP's tune is of immeasurable value. Also note that the "minimalistic 10-15 hp gain" is no longer in question as FORD PERFORMANCE has corrected their chart to show hp results as "Base Premium Fuel vs FP Premium Fuel":

View attachment 14652

Regarding the reduction of 0-60 times, the standard rule of thumb is 1/10 sec for every 10 hp. So a solid 30 hp increase would be at least 3/10 sec, and with the accompanying increase in torque, their could be something closer to 1/2 sec reduction in acceleration times.

And incidentally, a tune is "real" whether it produces 30 hp or 100 hp.;)
I understand the tune is real, i should’ve stated an aftermarket tune. I don’t however by that the tune will shave a half second off the 0-60. Atleast in my experience, with that rational, my bmw Should’ve been a 0.5 of a second car or faster, and that just isn’t the case. The only real benefit I see with the FP tune is that the power has more of a “plateau” after peak boost, rather than dropping down.
only way to find out is to get the tune and see if it satisfys me enough to keep the warrenty, which I really would rather not compromise, but eventually I feel I’ll want to get more out of the car than what FP offers. I also feel like this suv handles more like a car on cornering than most SUV’s I’ve driven prior, which makes me feel like I want more out of it. Either way, I plan on doing a little exhaust and deciding on the tune come spring time again

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Lower it, add a steeda rear sway bar and better tires and it's a whole world better than stock. After I did that to mine, I don't even want to drive my mustang anymore.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

If only I had a nickel for every time someone thought torque and horsepower were somehow different entities...It is HP that produces "work". If you think 30 hp is going to drop your 0-60 times by 3/10s and the "accompanying increase in torque" might result in "something closer to 1/2 sec reduction"- welcome to the looking glass world where math is optional and facts are pesky things that get in the way of ignorant opinions.

In an ICE, torque is a static measurement of average cylinder pressure. HP is a dynamic measurement of work- torque applied over time. Torque is not some ancillary value to be added to HP figures- especially in the example quoted where it will magically also add another 2/10s reduction. HP and Torque are directly connected by a simple equation. Regardless of what you have read from some ancient magazine lore that "horsepower is good, but torque wins races." it's not true.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I don’t however by that the tune will shave a half second off the 0-60. Atleast in my experience, with that rational, my bmw Should’ve been a 0.5 of a second car or faster, and that just isn’t the case ...
Can't really compare a claimed 3rd party tune on one vehicle versus a manufacturer's confirmed tune on another vehicle.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Wait ...:unsure: isn't this supposed to be about driver gender comparison?
No, the OP's title states it's about male vs female drivers.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Prince of Peace.jpg

2w7q77-3936353461.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
No idea where this is headed. :unsure: Feel like I'd need to adjust my Ignored Member list to catch up. Nope, thought about it, just wouldn't be worth it. :whistle:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have never cancelled anyone. You never know what you might learn. To me, canceling or ignoring a member is like a 10 year old covering their ears while screaming "I can't hear you" when you tell them something they don't like. You see it a lot in today's social media culture: Ten year-olds refusing to hear something they don't want to hear.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I don't look at this as canceling anyone but choosing whether or not to follow. We all do this on a daily basis whether we think about it that way or not. We pick and choose where we get our information.

Canceling as I understand it, more or less implies that someone on the other end would miss us or at least know we were gone.

It's like a radio station. We've all certainly sampled more stations than we actually utilize regularly. Didn't like the genre, too much or too little news or we don't like the DJ. Heck, maybe we only listen to Sirius and never even listen to local stations. We didn't cancel the stations we simply choose not to listen to them.

Follow a fool, become one.

Last edited:
Reactions
I have never cancelled anyone. You never know what you might learn. To me, canceling or ignoring a member is like a 10 year old covering their ears while screaming "I can't hear you" when you tell them something they don't like. You see it a lot in today's social media culture: Ten year-olds refusing to hear something they don't want to hear.
I agree that when ignoring folks you may lose out on an important conversation. On the other hand, I am sure we have all left a situation where you were not impressed with someone. Whether it be a family event, or children's performance. Leaving is usually not because of content, but due to unacceptable behaviour of an individual or two. I don't stick around to listen to a drunk's ramblings because they might say something important.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The ST is my wife's daily driver.

Reactions
The ST is my daily drive although I do take the Chrysler 300s to work once or twice a week since my wife works from home. She is still a little hesitant to drive the ST, she says it is to fast for her.

Explorer ST Posts