Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Drivers...Male vs Female

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've read that 1 out of 5 Explorers sold are ST's. My wife is the primary driver of our SUV, with me driving it on the weekend. (to go wash it.) Around here when I see another ST, a female is driving it. Anyone else make that observation?

JRJST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 FORD ST
My wife is the primary driver as well.

-Jim

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Saw an ST the other day, a woman was driving it.

Not sure what conclusion I can make from that one sighting though ...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I see about 10-15 different STs per day. It's about half and half. I'm the primary driver of ours.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So far I’ve only seen 2 ST’s in my area, a silver and a white if I recall correctly. Both I remember having male drivers.

Reactions
I've sold 10 STs... 7 male - 3 female.

However when our Bronco shows up.. I'll predominately drive the Bronco and ST will go to her.. lol

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
99.9% I'm driving mine. The wife has her own ST to drive

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Seen one today (which is rare here) and a female was driving it.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
I'm in NY and I see about half and half although usually when I see a guy driving there is a woman in the passenger seat. My wife primarily drives ours She would of been fine with an any Explorer but I wasn't letting that happen

Reactions
I'm in NY and I see about half and half although usually when I see a guy driving there is a woman in the passenger seat. My wife primarily drives ours She would of been fine with an any Explorer but I wasn't letting that happen
Upstate NY Hudson Valley and it's pretty much a 50/50 split my wife(female) drives ours 80% of the time. I (Male) drive our Malibu most of the time for the MPG.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
We have a ton of ST's running around in my area. I hadn't given any consideration to this but I probably do see more women driving them than men. My wife drives ours unless we're going somewhere together then I'll more often than not drive.

Reactions
We have a ton of ST's running around in my area. I hadn't given any consideration to this but I probably do see more women driving them than men. My wife drives ours unless we're going somewhere together then I'll more often than not drive.
Same situation here I drive 50 miles a day for work 5 days a week but I drive the ST any time I'm not working.

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I drive my st, I’m also a bit younger I feel than most other explorer drivers I’ve seen in my area Atleast, I’m 22

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
I drive my st, I’m also a bit younger I feel than most other explorer drivers I’ve seen in my area Atleast, I’m 22
Yeah I'd say so. Most people your age can't afford an ST let alone a ln XLT lol

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Yeah I'd say so. Most people your age can't afford an ST let alone a ln XLT lol
I do commertial hvac. Came from a bmw 340 but wanted to expand my side work more and needed somthing bigger, and ultimately a family car for the years to come while still having some sportiness to it, and thus the st came into play

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm older than you and have owned several dozen vehicles, the ST is my first SUV/Truck.

Until now, it's been Mustangs, Camaros, and sports sedans.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Our ST is for my wife but I drive it 100% of the time when we are together. Asked her yesterday if she wanted me to leave her car alone and stop modifying it, she laughed and said have fun. She's a keeper!

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I'm older than you and have owned several dozen vehicles, the ST is my first SUV/Truck.

Until now, it's been Mustangs, Camaros, and sports sedans.
Only my 4th vehicle, had 2 pickup trucks first, a beamer third which I traded on this st. I think the ST is my favorite all around car I’ve had, without just sheer performance coming into play

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've read that 1 out of 5 Explorers sold are ST's. My wife is the primary driver of our SUV, with me driving it on the weekend. (to go wash it.) Around here when I see another ST, a female is driving it. Anyone else make that observation?
I think you are right. I know my wife does not like full size SUVs. She is a pretty safe but IMO a bad driver (over safe if that makes sense) I think most women like the size of the Explorer.
Its a work car for me so I wanted to keep the price point lower as I will beat it and rack up miles fast. I wont lie I love it though.

Reactions
I think you are right. I know my wife does not like full size SUVs. She is a pretty safe but IMO a bad driver (over safe if that makes sense) I think most women like the size of the Explorer.
Its a work car for me so I wanted to keep the price point lower as I will beat it and rack up miles fast. I wont lie I love it though.
We only need a 3rd Row every once in a while so the Explorer fits our needs perfectly the size and MPG on the Tahoe and Durango we're the determining factor.