Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Squeaky Steering Wheel

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
When I enter the vehicle and the steering wheel automatically re-positions, it gives off a loud and continuous squeak until it stops moving. I'm tempted to take a can of WD-40 silicon spray and blast around underneath the steering wheel shroud (like shooting a shotgun into a bush to see if you hit the target), but wondering if there's a designated service point to lubricate the steering wheel mechanism? Anyone else have this problem? And how did you fix it? Thanks!

hbalek

Reactions
When I enter the vehicle and the steering wheel automatically re-positions, it gives off a loud and continuous squeak until it stops moving. I'm tempted to take a can of WD-40 silicon spray and blast around underneath the steering wheel shroud (like shooting a shotgun into a bush to see if you hit the target), but wondering if there's a designated service point to lubricate the steering wheel mechanism? Anyone else have this problem? And how did you fix it? Thanks!
Are you out of warranty?

OP
H
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks hbalek. Good sanity check. I have an extended warranty. And will be bringing the ST back to the dealer for the catalytic converter replacement (Emission Recall 21E11), once that part arrives. This seems like something I can address on my own, however, might as well have the Dealership do it in conjunction with the catalytic converter, if there's no easy way to do it myself.

OP
H
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Update: I mentioned the squeaking issue with the dealer when I brought the ST in for the catalytic converter replacement. I joked that a shot of WD40 might do the trick, but the service adviser said they might replace the entire steering column, if they could pinpoint the noise location. Unfortunately, it was a warmer day and they were unable to recreate the noise. The service tech's verdict: "Noise may have been caused by cold weather causing the leather cover to make noise. NPF at this time." As long as the squeaking doesn't start up again, I'm happy. If it does, I'll bring it back and look to have the steering column replaced under the extended warranty. End of story for now.