Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

speed-sensitive volume?

HTRon

Reactions
Another issue I'd like to ask fellow owners about...do you think your speed-sensitive volume works?

I have mine set to maximum sensitivity, and I always have to turn it up when I get on the freeway! And I know how it's supposed to work and sound, because I had it on my 2010 ecoboost flex and never had to adjust the volume.

How about y'all?

Reactions
You must have your windows open? Or you're doin' over 120 mph:eek:. With speed sensitivity on max and you're at the desired volume while sitting still; at what speed can't you hear the radio?
I had the issue with my Escapes, but they were noisy, this ST is quiet! (...and you do have a button under your left thumb..:geek:.)

OP
HTRon

HTRon

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Nope, what I'm saying is I don't detect ANY change of the volume! I checked the setting again, it's on HIGH/MAX/whatever. My normal volume is around 4-5, but on the freeway, I have to turn it up to 7 - windows closed!
I have to turn it up myself. In the flex, I never had to adjust it.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I am wondering if the speed sensing volume really only works in Sport Mode? One of the highlighted Interior features in the Owners manual is this line of text
"Unique electronic sound enhancement in Sport Selectable Drive Mode" Still reading to figure out just what this is.

Reactions
I am wondering if the speed sensing volume really only works in Sport Mode? One of the highlighted Interior features in the Owners manual is this line of text
"Unique electronic sound enhancement in Sport Selectable Drive Mode" Still reading to figure out just what this is.
That’s the simulated engine sound that comes through the sound system in Sport mode that they’re talking about. Most of the manufacturers are doing this now. I always thought it was kind of cheesy.

Reactions
Speed Sensitive Volume "should" work in any drive mode. I just went out and drove up 495. Started at vol:5, put on 102.5 and git the gas. I like the simulated noise. It's a damn good sounding 6, yet it's quiet outside. And this IS an ST. About 5.3 seconds later as I pass 60 I "think" I hear the volume go up, at 90 I can hear George Strait just fine through the B&O. At 125 the traffic starting getting thicker so I backed off.
I'll grant you that the system's changes are not as noticeable as it was in my 3 Escapes - but their cabin noise required it. I honestly don't need to turn my volume up now. I run mostly in the 70's on the interstates; in-town I set the tolerance to +3 and let the ST do most of the driving.