Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Spark Plug Heat Range

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm curious who here has ran a step colder plug and what was your experience with them? What mods are you running?

This seems to be a topic of debate with these engines, with some people saying a range 7 plug is absolutely a good idea for cheap insurance on a "not stock" setup while others are of the mindset that the factory range 6 is more than adequate.

I ran NGK Ruthenium HX plugs on my '17 Sport and it seemed to run really well with them at all times. Now I'm thinking of tossing a set in the ST but going one step colder for good insurance especially considering these Explorers turn up alot better than the 3.5EB

Right now I'm running a Livernois 93 pump gas tune and it for sure made a considerable difference in performance and acceleration over stock. I have a few other modifications planned such as a complete CAI setup, exhaust and Whipple intercooler.

I've always been of the mentality "Run the HOTTEST plug possible that doesn't result in detonation". But I typically work with N/A engines. I have a 550+hp LS3 running just fine on TR6 (NGK range 6) plugs but 0psi vs 20+psi isn't exactly apples to apples.

FWIW I know that fuel type also plays a pretty big role in this discussion. As of right now this is just a fun daily to haul ass down the highway with and some occasional track time. 93 pump gas is likely going to be the only type of fuel I'm running.

IMG_20231008_193323.jpg

Reactions
Following. As an aside, that is a beautiful colour.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Following. As an aside, that is a beautiful colour.
Thanks! It's called Rich Copper metallic clear-coat and apparently it's some rare upcharge option. Didn't even know until after I bought it. Just knew I liked the color.

Last edited:

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Funny enough, I run TR6s on my Procharged LS with gap closed up a little. Makes killer power. When I tuned my Aviator, it was recommended to go to NGK LTR7BHXs on a .028 gap. I did that prior to tuning it, ran fine. After tuning, it still ran fine. I didn't like that that it was such a high dollar plug, but whatever, it's only 6.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Here is a thread about plugs.
I'm familiar with the role that heat range plays. I'm moreso curious what people have ran with these particular engines and what their modifications were.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve ran a range colder since early on…tuners request. All bolt ons except turbos and HPFP/Injectors. 73K miles now and zero issues.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I’ve ran a range colder since early on…tuners request. All bolt ons except turbos and HPFP/Injectors. 73K miles now and zero issues.
Thanks. I think I will give them a try. I have a built SBC stroker engine in my 85 making a tad north of 400hp and running range 7s in it, I feel that they don't get quite hot enough to clean properly unless I'm spraying.

Same heat range In the 500-550 range under boost I'd think would do just fine.

MIB

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks! It's called Copper metallic tri-coat and apparently it's some rare upcharge option. Didn't even know until after I bought it. Just knew I liked the color.
I like that color over my rapid red

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I still cannot find this anywhere, but, what is the gap for a completely stock ST?

I see .28, .24, .31, etc.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I still cannot find this anywhere, but, what is the gap for a completely stock ST?

I just bought a new set of pre-gapped colder plugs and they were set at .23 or is it .023 prior to shipping. Run great and smoother than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12

IIRC, most of the Tuned/IC guys are running .028 gap. Stock I'm not sure. I'd look up the stock spark plug part # and check what the gap is on it. I highly doubt dealerships are custom gapping plugs prior to install.