Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

"Space GhoST"- single turbo ST build

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
This thread is a bit jacked, as I tried to put the info early in the thread and have comments below. I attempted at first a dual-thread approach, one for the info thread and the other for the questions, but it just isn't workable. So instead, I've put placeholders in place. So if you want to see the latest info, you have to scroll up, or go here

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I don't have any input. but I wanted you to know that at least 1 more person appreciates you putting this all together.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #43
Cool! I think the Weather Tech vs Husky Floor liners thread will still get more views, but Matt and I are putting in the work regardless. ;)

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
Post #4 is now finished. It includes interesting information on transmission ratios and MPH at gear. Thanks again to @MattJ716 for his help on graphics.

Click here for #4 to access.

Last edited:
Reactions
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this! Will you be doing the fab work? When will it begin? What kind of goals do you have for the build?

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #47
I sold my welder, oxy torches, compressor, bead blaster, my four car garage with loft, etc a few years ago when I downsized to move to TN to be near kids and grandkids. I was never a great welder anyway! At this point, this is a virtual "build", since my plans for this platform no longer make any sense and I'm planning on moving on to something else. I'll finish up work on the thread for posterity's sake since I've already done all the engineering and planning.

As far as goals, as I posted; mine were to extract as much from the platform on pump gas as possible for as little money as possible while being innovative. I'm also interested in demonstrating that you can think outside the box, and not just bolt-on everything that everyone else is doing- and that vendors are selling. It's also an interest to me to educate people on engineering- the math and reasons why the choices I outline make sense.

Hope that doesn't disappoint.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
At this point, this is a virtual "build", since my plans for this platform no longer make any sense and I'm planning on moving on to something else.
..... and that is????

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #49
Probably something educational in another medium. I appreciate the innovators, the relentlessly curious, those who do things for the intrinsic satisfaction of accomplishing something different. There are only about 2-3 people on this site who demonstrate those qualities....and a new genius every week who thinks "suck, squish, blam, and blow" means they are experts in internal combustion engines. That probably sounds negative, but ultimately, I need another outlet.

Don't be angry with me for answering your question honestly...TMac

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Probably something educational in another medium. I appreciate the innovators, the relentlessly curious, those who do things for the intrinsic satisfaction of accomplishing something different. There are only about 2-3 people on this site who demonstrate those qualities....and a new genius every week who thinks "suck, squish, blam, and blow" means they are experts in internal combustion engines. That probably sounds negative, but ultimately, I need another outlet.

Don't be angry with me for answering your question honestly...TMac
Unfortunately the internet brings out a lot of uninformed. I for one definitely appreciate your posts with detailed info. Must be the engineer in me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #51
Here is the latest update which is post #5. This shows a compressor map for the best matching turbo for the ST engne in the Garrett line-up, the G40/G30-900.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
..... and that is????
My ST is about to be gone. Don't get me wrong, it's been a good vehicle as I have not experienced the problems that many on this site have complained about. When I first bought the Space GhoST in January of '20, I planned on modding it my way- very sleeper, but with a single turbo build. Covid interrupted those plans, and over the next 18 months or so, I began to realize that I just didn't enjoy a large SUV (my first).

I also realized that since I downsized recently, effectively removing my four-car garage, I don't have the the room for projects anymore. I also began to realize that I didn't have the inclination to spend my free time turning wrenches anymore.

I continued to engage in this site, adding whatever I could bring to those things that I'm knowledgeable about, but started looking seriously into something to replace the ST. I've finally made the decision and will be moving on to a late model Porsche Panamera turbo.

Best to all of you. TMac.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My ST is about to be gone. Don't get me wrong, it's been a good vehicle as I have not experienced the problems that many on this site have complained about. When I first bought the Space GhoST in January of '20, I planned on modding it my way- very sleeper, but with a single turbo build. Covid interrupted those plans, and over the next 18 months or so, I began to realize that I just didn't enjoy a large SUV (my first).

I also realized that since I downsized recently, effectively removing my four-car garage, I don't have the the room for projects anymore. I also began to realize that I didn't have the inclination to spend my free time turning wrenches anymore.

I continued to engage in this site, adding whatever I could bring to those things that I'm knowledgeable about, but started looking seriously into something to replace the ST. I've finally made the decision and will be moving on to a late model Porsche Panamera turbo.

Best to all of you. TMac.
Was locked into this TMac! Wish you the best on your Porsche quest but will miss what could have happened beyond the virtual engineering! Good luck!

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #54
I did contribute a lot to a member's single turbo build over the past few months. I occasionally come back and visit. Thanks for the good wishes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I did contribute a lot to a member's single turbo build over the past few months. I occasionally come back and visit. Thanks for the good wishes.
Hats off!
If I ever go the single T route, I would love to employ your engineering concepts. As complex as it seems, it makes more sense to me than all the sales pitches and promises I've heard. Just more definitive.