Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Softening the ride on an ST?

Reactions
Hi all, - I know I should probably appreciate the sporty tight ride feel of my 2020 ST but it's such tight suspension that it's not pleasant for just driving around town - especially rolling over bad pavement. I knew at purchase it would have a tighter feel, but the other pluses of the ST far out-weighed that as a concern.

But now I'd like to research what my options might be for adjusting and/or upgrading the suspension so I can soften the ride. Is there anything I can do with the existing vehicle to soften the ride? I assume no.

For upgrades, I've heard of air ride suspensions, and that could have adjustability but sounds expensive and custom. Apparently the Ford Raptors have dampening adjustability of the fly but I can see how that makes more sense on a Raptor than an ST.

I read the ST coils are 8% stiffer than the coils on the Platinum. Replacement of coils could be a lower cost option than an air ride upgrade but I assume no adjustability once installed, and probably still expensive for parts and install.

FV Suspensions just confirmed with me by email they don't have any kits that could help soften the ride. They do hear this as a common issue with the ST being quite stiff from the OEM.

Has anyone looked into this issue and has any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks, -

Roofbox Yakima.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
First get the Platinum struts/shocks and springs. Then, downsize to smaller diameter and lighter wheels. And get appropriately sized tires with a fatter sidewall.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Going to the OEM 20's and Michelin's will improve things.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This suspension is far from stiff. Is it stiffer than most SUVs sure, but it's not bone jarring by any means.... (Try a Honda CRV for reference of what stiff is). As others have pointed out the best option is dropping rim size and getting higher profile tires.