Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Snapping sound

03xxSTxx31

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
When I have the vehicle facing downhill and I shift from park into drive, I hear a rather loud, single snap sound, as its engaging into drive. I’m assuming coming from a u-joint, or the transmission itself? Is this normal? 2020 ST with 26,000 miles

Reactions
Heard mine do that on any incline as well. Think it’s just the sound of the trans coming out of park. If you ever tried taking a car out of park on a hill when you had to pull on the lever and the lever was actually physically connected to the transmission linkage underneath, it was harder to pull the lever when you were parked on a hill because of what was called (IIRC) torque lock, and when you finally pulled hard enough to get it out of park it made a loud snapping sound.

These shift knobs are all electronic so all you’re doing is sending a command to the transmission to actuate the shift linkage into the correct position and whatnot, but you’re not physically moving the linkage yourself, so there’s a small delay between selecting a gear on the dial and the linkages down below actually moving into position. You’re hearing the sound of the transmission coming out of park with the extra pressure of being parked on the hill.

When you park on a hill, apply your parking brake and shift into neutral, take your foot off the brake and let the car come to rest on the parking brake, THEN shift into park. This puts the load of being parked on a hill on the parking brake and NOT on the transmission, and then it will come out of park easier and quieter.

OP
03xxSTxx31

03xxSTxx31

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I figured that’s all it was. I’ve experienced the same thing in every other car I’ve driven, however in this one it creates a much different sound. That’s why I was a little concerned.

Good advice on using the parking brake like that. I’ll have to give that a try.

Reactions
I figured that’s all it was. I’ve experienced the same thing in every other car I’ve driven, however in this one it creates a much different sound. That’s why I was a little concerned.

Good advice on using the parking brake like that. I’ll have to give that a try.
It’s actually best practice anyway...less strain on the driveline, parking pawl, etc etc.