Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Smoking on startup after sitting

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This is so sad....and it's because of the incentive/disincentive of warranty claims vs dealership profit. The 2.7 nanos (on which the 3.0 is based) had some problems with valve spring retainers. IMHO, most of these "start-up" oiling problems with the ST are with turbo seals, but due to he 2.7 nano problems with valve spring retainers and the Ford warranty tech the service department deals with, they're going to go with the maximum profit. There's also the fact that the supplier of the turbos (Borg-Warner) in this case, probably due to the price at which they priced the turbos to Ford disincentivises Ford to replace them. So, a simple turbo replacement ends up with an engine replacement only to replace the turbo later.

Reactions
They got it approved somehow. I asked them to double and triple check the turbo for leaks before they put everything back together. The response I got was that the “turbos look good”. So not sure what else I can suggest given they are supposed to be the experts.
What I have been doing is actually referring to this forum and others telling my dealer that there are more and more people having this problem (also confirmed by the Ford hotline getting more calls about it) and the fix so far has been drivers side turbo replacement. I always try to provide the dealer with as much info as I possibly can, but it doesn't always make a difference that's for sure. They have to go through their process which normally just slows things down in my experience (sadly). Then they lots of times get to what I suggested hahaha.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I feel for everyone that is fighting this issue and having to put up with dealerships that don't have a clue. The process of getting mine fixed was fairly easy but I do have an in at the dealership that I took mine to. This is becoming a very common issue that is fixed with the replacement of the drivers side turbo but I'm wondering why only the driver side turbo is failing.

Reactions
I feel for everyone that is fighting this issue and having to put up with dealerships that don't have a clue. The process of getting mine fixed was fairly easy but I do have an in at the dealership that I took mine to. This is becoming a very common issue that is fixed with the replacement of the drivers side turbo but I'm wondering why only the driver side turbo is failing.
It is really strange that only the drivers side seems to be the cause of this issue. Maybe there is a slight design difference in the driver and pass side turbos that is causing this?

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It is really strange that only the drivers side seems to be the cause of this issue. Maybe there is a slight design difference in the driver and pass side turbos that is causing this?
I'd guess it has something to do with heat. The part number is the same for both sides (6K682).

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd guess it has something to do with heat. The part number is the same for both sides (6K682).
Are you sure that's true? It doesn't seem likely given the pics I've seen which show different compressor castings.

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Are you sure that's true? It doesn't seem likely given the pics I've seen which show different compressor castings.
Yep - it's the same part number. There are some different tubes, etc. that go on each side, but the turbo itself is the same. The sad part is...it's a freaking $575 part. I just had a $8000 engine put in that didn't fix the issue.

1663804191770.png

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't know where those part numbers are from, but I think they are misprints. Because here are pics of ST turbos. Notice the difference in the compressor housings, the placement of the wastegates, etc. Also, if you zoom in you'll see that the one compressor housing is numbered 5487 while the other is 5488.
1663805053264.png

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I don't know where those part numbers are from, but I think they are misprints. Because here are pics of ST turbos. Notice the difference in the compressor housings, the placement of the wastegates, etc. Also, if you zoom in you'll see that the one compressor housing is numbered 5487 while the other is 5488.
View attachment 14408
Interesting. I see what you are saying. They are slightly different. Those numbers are right off the Ford Parts website...but ironically enough one is a couple dollars more than the other.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
The part number for the right side turbo is L1MZ6K682C and the part number for the left side turbo is L1MZ6K682B.

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Funny enough, FordTechMackuloko just posted a video on this subject - but it’s an F-150 with a 2.7l Ecoboost. Guess what the fix is? If you guessed turbo, you’d be correct….but the oil supply tube.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thank you all for your reply. It has taken me awhile to get some info as I’ve been trying to work with Ford and my dealer. This only occurs on cold start-up, and when the SUV is parked on an incline (engine facing uphill). When I park it backwards (engine facing downhill), the smoking issue has yet to occur. For clarity, anytime the vehicle does smoke on startup, it smells burnt/like oil.

Here is where we are with the issue:
I enlisted the help of Ford, and they worked with my local Ford dealer to address by having the dealer communicate and troubleshoot with a Ford engineer. After two weeks of troubleshooting, they came back and said they have found no issues with any potential part failures, and are tentatively ruling it like this: that this is a normal situation that when the SUV is parked on an incline, it will smoke under those conditions and will not cause harm.

The only other thing they are having me do is drive my car for 3k miles, and then I have to take it back for them to see if there has been any oil burn off. If so, they will continue to investigate. If not, that is where Ford is leaving it. Doesn’t really make sense to me and I hope to get something figured out.
hi there - just reading this thread and am curious who you are working with at Ford? I had a total engine failure with zero warning at 32k miles. It's also a 2020 which I bought new. Upon inspection, the engine was completely out of oil! (and I own or have owned many cars that go well over 100k miles...) A dealership I towed it to has replaced the engine and after nearly 3mos, I'll get it back soon. Dealership initially said it was my fault, but they made it a warranty claim "which Ford could later reject". I'm not sure how that would work, but I am hoping to get a contact at Ford who will hear me out about my side of the story should there be a conflict here. hope your issue isn't anything which hurts the car and thanks for sharing any contact info you've got at Ford.

SimRyan5

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2021 ST, and I’m experiencing the same issues now at @13k miles. So far my local Ford dealer has been up front and honest with the whole experience.
history- this is my “Dad Mobile”.. daily driver, football, baseball, etc. no mods, not driven excessive, rarely even in sport mode to maximize fuel efficiency.
Trip 1: Examined the turbos, removed and replaced seals. No change as smoking still present on start-up.
Trip 2: They’ve had it for >2 weeks as Ford has determined to replace the entire long block. I’ll update after I get it back with how it works out. Best wishes to anyone facing the same issues… wouldn’t expect an engine swap on a $65k vehicle with so little mileage!

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2021 ST, and I’m experiencing the same issues now at @13k miles. So far my local Ford dealer has been up front and honest with the whole experience.
history- this is my “Dad Mobile”.. daily driver, football, baseball, etc. no mods, not driven excessive, rarely even in sport mode to maximize fuel efficiency.
Trip 1: Examined the turbos, removed and replaced seals. No change as smoking still present on start-up.
Trip 2: They’ve had it for >2 weeks as Ford has determined to replace the entire long block. I’ll update after I get it back with how it works out. Best wishes to anyone facing the same issues… wouldn’t expect an engine swap on a $65k vehicle with so little mileage!
I just had my engine replaced wrong weeks ago, and that didn’t fix it. Mine had $10k miles on it. Others in this forum had the same experience as well. My guess is it’s a similar issue that the 2.7L F-150s had - see earlier post. The dumb dumbs at Ford haven’t connected the dots yet or don’t want to. My advice is to submit an NHTSB complain. After so many (around 100) they investigate and issue a recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I find this interesting being that Ford does not rebuild turbos in house. If there is an issue they replace it. Someone there is not being honest with you or does not know what they are doing... hope it's not both!

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I just had my engine replaced wrong weeks ago, and that didn’t fix it. Mine had $10k miles on it. Others in this forum had the same experience as well. My guess is it’s a similar issue that the 2.7L F-150s had - see earlier post. The dumb dumbs at Ford haven’t connected the dots yet or don’t want to. My advice is to submit an NHTSB complain. After so many (around 100) they investigate and issue a recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Do you think this really qualifies as a safety issue?

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Do you think this really qualifies as a safety issue?
It doesn’t have to be a safety issue. You can file a complaint about mechanical problems as well.

DLip

Reactions
Thank you all for your reply. It has taken me awhile to get some info as I’ve been trying to work with Ford and my dealer. This only occurs on cold start-up, and when the SUV is parked on an incline (engine facing uphill). When I park it backwards (engine facing downhill), the smoking issue has yet to occur. For clarity, anytime the vehicle does smoke on startup, it smells burnt/like oil.

Here is where we are with the issue:
I enlisted the help of Ford, and they worked with my local Ford dealer to address by having the dealer communicate and troubleshoot with a Ford engineer. After two weeks of troubleshooting, they came back and said they have found no issues with any potential part failures, and are tentatively ruling it like this: that this is a normal situation that when the SUV is parked on an incline, it will smoke under those conditions and will not cause harm.

The only other thing they are having me do is drive my car for 3k miles, and then I have to take it back for them to see if there has been any oil burn off. If so, they will continue to investigate. If not, that is where Ford is leaving it. Doesn’t really make sense to me and I hope to get something figured out.
So I got a 2022 ST in July after my 2020 was turned in via Ford Buyback/Lemon Law-went through 8 audio control modules in 2 years. My 2020 was also doing the smoke thing near the end of my owning it when nose up on my driveway (which is a hill). I had bad exhaust thing happen this morning at startup on a 60-degree (not cold) morning in eastern Pennsylvania. I had not driven in 48 hours. The reason I was parked nose up instead of backing in (as I normally do) is that I had a 1/3 tank of gas and if you park nose down below a 1/2 is a good chance engine won’t start (which I learned after happening a few times). I love my ST but really had a ton of shit go wrong on my watch.

Reactions
Well, my 2020 ST was in and out of the dealer for a third time this year for the smoking issue and they didn't do anything to fix it. When I talked to the service rep after almost a week, he said they tried to replicate the problem and saw heavy smoke on one day, and light smoke on others. When I started an email exchange with him, he denied saying they ever saw heavy smoke. Anyway, they let it idle for 5 hours (?) and then took the exhaust system off and couldn't find any problems which doesn't surprise me since the cause of oil leaking into the cylinders to combust would be well north of my exhaust system so I'm really confused by this diagnosis.

As of today, I emailed the service guy back and sent him two more videos of it smoking and asked to have the Service Manager call me. I also contacted Ford Customer Care line and created a "case" to have a different Ford Tech consult with the local techs and possibly travel here to look at/fix my ST. That should be a few days is what I'm told. If there is no resolution here, I'll begin the buyback process with Ford through their Reacquired Vehicle Program.

Lesson learned, record your conversations with techs and/or communicate via email so everything is documented.

Here's a video of what's happening since I got it back from the dealer. Of note, it does seem to be worse when parked in my driveway which is a slight incline with the nose uphill.

HOLY SMOKE

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Well, my 2020 ST was in and out of the dealer for a third time this year for the smoking issue and they didn't do anything to fix it. When I talked to the service rep after almost a week, he said they tried to replicate the problem and saw heavy smoke on one day, and light smoke on others. When I started an email exchange with him, he denied saying they ever saw heavy smoke. Anyway, they let it idle for 5 hours (?) and then took the exhaust system off and couldn't find any problems which doesn't surprise me since the cause of oil leaking into the cylinders to combust would be well north of my exhaust system so I'm really confused by this diagnosis.

As of today, I emailed the service guy back and sent him two more videos of it smoking and asked to have the Service Manager call me. I also contacted Ford Customer Care line and created a "case" to have a different Ford Tech consult with the local techs and possibly travel here to look at/fix my ST. That should be a few days is what I'm told. If there is no resolution here, I'll begin the buyback process with Ford through their Reacquired Vehicle Program.

Lesson learned, record your conversations with techs and/or communicate via email so everything is documented.

Here's a video of what's happening since I got it back from the dealer. Of note, it does seem to be worse when parked in my driveway which is a slight incline with the nose uphill.

HOLY SMOKE
If the dealership let your vehicle idle for five hours you need to go back up there get your vehicle and go to another dealership those guys Are idiots.