Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Smoking on startup after sitting

Reactions
Oil tube did not fix mine so they are replacing the entire driver side turbo. Hope that works
Hope you have better luck than me. They tried that with mine and it's still smoking. Going back for service in mid Sept for the THIRD time.

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hope you have better luck than me. They tried that with mine and it's still smoking. Going back for service in mid Sept for the THIRD time.
Might be time to turn the vehicle in under the lemon law. Most states allow for three attempts to fix the same problem before the vehicle can be bought back at full purchase price.

kartman

Reactions
Which oil tube did they replace, the supply or the drain? The 2.7 in the F150 had a TSB regarding this issue and the fix for that was replacing the turbo oil supply tube.
I dont recall but they based the from a smoke problem with turbo f150s so its probably that tsb

kartman

Reactions
By the times it done they will have had it for 3+ weeks

Reactions
Might be time to turn the vehicle in under the lemon law. Most states allow for three attempts to fix the same problem before the vehicle can be bought back at full purchase price.
That's definitely been on my radar since it's happened to at least 2 others mentioned in this thread. In MO, it's 4 attempts at fixing the same problem. I like the car and would happily keep it if they could fix the problem for good.

Stay tuned.....

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
They just looked at mine again today. Claim there was scoring on the cylinder walls. Ford has apparently approved a new long block for it, so that'll be what they try to remedy it.

Last edited:

kartman

Reactions
Got my ST back today after 29 days. New turbo, will check for smoke in the morning.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Got my ST back today after 29 days. New turbo, will check for smoke in the morning.
Mine goes in for the same thing on the 30th. Hope this fixed your issue.

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've no clue how there is no Ford TSB on this issue yet. Seems like there are plenty of folks out there with the same problem...yet every dealer is still "guessing" at what the problem may or may not be.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I've no clue how there is no Ford TSB on this issue yet. Seems like there are plenty of folks out there with the same problem...yet every dealer is still "guessing" at what the problem may or may not be.
I can't find anyone who has had this problem that has definitively said that "XXX" part was replaced and the smoking issue was resolved.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
What dealer did you take yours to?

kartman

Reactions
No smoke this morning, hope it stays this way.

Chapman Ford in Scottsdale

DHollis

Reactions
I have a 2020 Explorer ST. On startup, smoke appears out of the exhaust, sometimes it is light, other times it is heavy smoke. I took to 2 different dealers and they said they could not replicate it and thus could not address. Has anyone else experienced this? I have attached 3 different videos showing what I'm talking about.
I had this happen twice and caught on video. Has not happened again. Have 41,750 miles on 2020.

kartman

Reactions
New turbo no smoke, so far so goood

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Glad I can look forward to them replacing the engine and having the same problem. I’m assuming the re-use the turbos with a long block installation.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Glad I can look forward to them replacing the engine and having the same problem. I’m assuming the re-use the turbos with a long block installation.
Yes, everything that is bolted to the engine block will get reused.

Reactions
Yup, I'm sure that's why I have the issue now after the engine replacement sadly.

tjrigario

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m hoping that the tech takes a close look at the turbo when they are tearing everything apart..

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I’m hoping that the tech takes a close look at the turbo when they are tearing everything apart..
That would make too much sense:D:D!!!
But I hope so too! I saw the smoke issue on mine about two months ago but haven't seen it since, I keep checking when I start it up and hope I don't to add it to the issues with the back up camera.

Tom R

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
I know this is an ST Forum, but after reading through the posts and replies I thought I would mention that my 2020 Explorer Platinum is having the same smoking on startup problems. Mine has to be parked on an incline for the issue to occur. I am going on week 3 at the dealership. They duplicated the problem, but can’t resolve the issue. Will post again if I get any good information.

Explorer ST Posts