Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Small cloudy patches on wheel

RobB

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST 2023
What’s up guys, anybody have any suggestions on removing these clouds off of my wheels? The wheels were ceramic coated at about 4,000 miles and I am now at 7600. I am beginning to see this haze on all four wheels in random spots.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
That doesn't look like haze...those are some nasty scratches. Like someone took steel wool to spots. Were you trying to get some road grime off with something abrasive? Maybe carwash place a little too enthusiastic about scrubbing them? The clear is deff scratched.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Agree. Those are scratches. Some wax could make it look better.

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Probably need to wetsand to a high grit like a 1000 or above and then get something like this small Rupes buffer with a series of lower grit to higher grit compounds and work them out.
I have one and that thing comes in major handy for small jobs in tight spaces. If it's burnt through too much however, you would probably have to resort to getting them refinished or buy a new wheel. Your call.

OP
RobB

RobB

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST 2023
Thread Starter #5
That doesn't look like haze...those are some nasty scratches. Like someone took steel wool to spots. Were you trying to get some road grime off with something abrasive? Maybe carwash place a little too enthusiastic about scrubbing them? The clear is deff scratched.
Aw man well that sucks. I took it to dealership for oil change and tire rotation and noticed it after I washed. I’m not sure how they got so scratched up because I am very anal about my microfiber towels and that’s the only thing I used on them. I wash my 2023 mustang GT wheels with the same brand of micro and have never noticed this.

OP
RobB

RobB

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST 2023
Thread Starter #6
Probably need to wetsand to a high grit like a 1000 or above and then get something like this small Rupes buffer with a series of lower grit to higher grit compounds and work them out.
I have one and that thing comes in major handy for small jobs in tight spaces. If it's burnt through too much however, you would probably have to resort to getting them refinished or buy a new wheel. Your call.
Yeah I’ll probably just end up going with the refinish then. I got a powder coat wheel guy that can probably get that done. Appreciate the advice but I’ve seen some buffing nightmares and I am not trying to make the issue any worse lol.

OP
RobB

RobB

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST 2023
Thread Starter #7
What’s up guys, anybody have any suggestions on removing these clouds off of my wheels? The wheels were ceramic coated at about 4,000 miles and I am now at 7600. I am beginning to see this haze on all four wheels in random spots.
***update used C4 clear cut and a buffer and it came right out. Thanks for the advice

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
There you go, little TLC helps. Not to knock the dealer but I always take before pictures when I go in for service. Has saved me multiple times. Always funny how they unplug my dash cam when they service it too...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
There you go, little TLC helps. Not to knock the dealer but I always take before pictures when I go in for service. Has saved me multiple times. Always funny how they unplug my dash cam when they service it too...
That is weird. I would not be happy if they unplugged our dash cam.