Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Single Turbo kit

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer ST
Hello Everyone
We were contacted by someone this afternoon about building a single turbo kit for the 3.0 ecoboost explorer STs and the conversation came up whether there is enough interest in building more than one kit or even possibly putting it in our production line of kits

The kit would include hot and cold side, intercooler, turbo smart wastegate, turbosmart blow off valve, downpipe, oil lines, and either a Garrett G30-900 or Borg S362

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm sure you'd get more response if you posted performance #s. Is there a tune to go with this kit?
Thanks!

Reactions
I would try and reuse the intercooler as most people already have them. Hot, Cold side, DPs will be a must, Externally gated would be good to see as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I would try and reuse the intercooler as most people already have them. Hot, Cold side, DPs will be a must, Externally gated would be good to see as well.
The goal is to use the same upgraded intercooler we all already have. We'll find out how tricky or easy that will be in a couple weeks when the fab work starts.

All other piping, cats, etc. has been planned out. Turbo for this build is going to be the Borg Warner EFR 8474 1.05 A/R v-band twin scroll with external wastegates.

ZFG will be doing the tuning and has input on the build from it's inception.

We'll be posting updates and pictures as the build progresses, and once it's done and all the tuning has been wrapped up, we'll be posting dyno results and real world performance times.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I'm sure you'd get more response if you posted performance #s. Is there a tune to go with this kit?
Thanks!
This was just an announcement post, the build is beginning in 2 weeks. After that, then tuning with ZFG. Once everything is sorted out, the tuning is complete, and we have performance numbers to share, we'll be posting those and when the kit is available it will be announced on here.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This was just an announcement post, the build is beginning in 2 weeks. After that, then tuning with ZFG. Once everything is sorted out, the tuning is complete, and we have performance numbers to share, we'll be posting those and when the kit is available it will be announced on here.
Awesome, thanks! Looking forward.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Super interested to see the outcome! Keep us posted!

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The goal is to use the same upgraded intercooler we all already have. We'll find out how tricky or easy that will be in a couple weeks when the fab work starts.

All other piping, cats, etc. has been planned out. Turbo for this build is going to be the Borg Warner EFR 8474 1.05 A/R v-band twin scroll with external wastegates.

ZFG will be doing the tuning and has input on the build from it's inception.

We'll be posting updates and pictures as the build progresses, and once it's done and all the tuning has been wrapped up, we'll be posting dyno results and real world performance times.
Glad to see you are going with an EFR turbo. They are superior

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
After doing plugs and intake, I'm super interested in just eliminating half of the piping in front of the motor!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any update or pictures ? I'm interested

Reactions
Vehicle
2x 2023 Explorer STs
Agreed, I would love to see how it turns out

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Any update or pictures ? I'm interested
Turbo is getting fabbed in today. Here's some of the pictures from the mock up session. Should be another week and a half until firing it up!

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Man looks awesome. I can't wait to see what numbers you are putting down going to a single Garrett. Darc is close by so I may have to give them a visit.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to end results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looks like it's going to be a beast! Thanks for the peek!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Turbo is getting fabbed in today. Here's some of the pictures from the mock up session. Should be another week and a half until firing it up!
Since you are going single , do you need custom down pipes , custom exhaust , etc ?
obviously everything is custom but wondering what else you have to get fabbed ? Doesn’t look like you’ll be running a CAI.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Since you are going single , do you need custom down pipes , custom exhaust , etc ?
obviously everything is custom but wondering what else you have to get fabbed ? Doesn’t look like you’ll be running a CAI.
Will have full build details available when it's completed, but I can say that there will be a kit available created from this build that will have all necessary components to swap to a big single.

Reactions
That looks like a cool build. Can’t wait to see how it goes.