Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Shaking and vibration while braking at high speed

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Has anyone experienced shaking or vibration while braking on the highway? I don’t feel it at low speeds but it’s bad at high speeds. I have close to 20k miles and haven’t had any issues until now. Is this a warped rotor or an issue with the rim or tire? The tires had the 3rd rotation just a few weeks ago but didn’t notice this happening right away.

hbalek

Reactions
Has anyone experienced shaking or vibration while braking on the highway? I don’t feel it at low speeds but it’s bad at high speeds. I have close to 20k miles and haven’t had any issues until now. Is this a warped rotor or an issue with the rim or tire? The tires had the 3rd rotation just a few weeks ago but didn’t notice this happening right away.
Mine just started doing this the past few days. I have almost 40K miles. Weird coincidence!

Reactions
I do get it here and there yes. Depends on speed and how hard I brake, I find. It’s not severe. I figure it’s the rotors, and at last report I only have a few mm left on the pads, so I’ll have it all looked over at the same time.

Reactions
I started getting this 5k miles ago it’s almost like abs is kicking in or soemthing. It’s kinda scary cause it only happens at highway speeds, typically after a nice pull to about 90-100?

I have a big brake kit that I’m planning on installing hopefully that will fix this issue…

OP
D
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
It does sort of feel like the ABS is kicking in but then again it feels like a warped rotor. I’m going to swap out that wheel with a back wheel and see if it changes anything.

Reactions
It does sort of feel like the ABS is kicking in but then again it feels like a warped rotor. I’m going to swap out that wheel with a back wheel and see if it changes anything.
let me know if any change!

OP
D
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I just did the front to back, same side wheel swap and it’s not as bad. I can’t say it is 100% better but definitely not as harsh. Could it be a warped wheel or just out of balance?

Reactions
Could be a number of thing from a warped rotor(s), out of balance, bent wheel, belt separation on tire(s), noise reduction foam in tire(s) becoming loose. If the vibration is present when braking, then it is most likely a warped rotor. Get them resurfaced rather than replacing if you can. If the vibration is present constantly at highway speed, it could be one or more of the other four issues. I had a bent wheel and belt separation, which caused a pretty bad vibration at speeds of 70+. The OEM Pirelli tires that come with it from the factory are notorious for separating belts or the noise reduction foam can come loose.

OP
D
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
If the wheel is bent or a belt is separated wouldn’t you feel that while driving not just braking?

Reactions
Correct, I mentioned that "If the vibration is present constantly at highway speed" then it could be one of those issues. Constantly meaning while driving and just not braking. The belt separation on my tire got worse and more noticeable after several days of driving. Went from a slight vibration to undrivable at higher speeds. Also, check your tire(s) for any distortion or bulging around the side ways and within the tread grooves.

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
I started getting this 5k miles ago it’s almost like abs is kicking in or soemthing. It’s kinda scary cause it only happens at highway speeds, typically after a nice pull to about 90-100?

I have a big brake kit that I’m planning on installing hopefully that will fix this issue…
I'm sure you plan on it but I'll say it anyway, make sure you follow the bedding process from mfg. I do it every time I replace rotors/pads and haven't had any issues after doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm sure you plan on it but I'll say it anyway, make sure you follow the bedding process from mfg. I do it every time I replace rotors/pads and haven't had any issues after doing so.

Yea will do!

OP
D
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
I’ve been driving a lot with the wheels swapped and the shaking and vibration still happens especially at high speed braking but it’s not as bad. Seems a little harder to diagnose. I’m taking to the local Ford service center on Monday to let them take a look.