Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Several warranty issues- have you had the same?

Reactions
Any change in status?
Just got the offer from Ford Reacquired Vehicle Headquarters on Friday. Signed and sent back. Waiting on them to schedule a closing date at the dealership so we can officially give it back.

On a side note, they still haven’t been able to determine what is actually wrong with our vehicle. Gremlins at this point, I suppose.

Reactions
You're doing the buyback and not replacement? Three weeks with the new ST and haven't had any issues (fingers crossed, permanently).

Reactions
You're doing the buyback and not replacement? Three weeks with the new ST and haven't had any issues (fingers crossed, permanently).
No ST replacement for us. We've been getting strung along by Ford for months now and my wife is over it at this point.

Reactions
Damn. I was looking through some of the history with your buyback. WTH was up with Ford and their RAV team? Definitely not the experience I had with my rep. Any idea what you might get next?

Reactions
Damn. I was looking through some of the history with your buyback. WTH was up with Ford and their RAV team? Definitely not the experience I had with my rep. Any idea what you might get next?
It's been a cluster to say the least.

Our Customer Service rep was kind of rude and not in a rush to help us, plus she blamed the delay on the whole COVID-19 crap. The RAV guy has been cool, but has been dragging his feet for over two months and I have ANOTHER payment due tomorrow and they still haven't sent the paperwork over to our dealer. The buyback is less than we have paid so far, which doesn't seem right, but we just want out at this point.

As far as a replacement vehicle, we are leaning towards a 2018 or 2019 Platinum. It's my wife's call since it's her vehicle, so it's up to what she likes.

Reactions
Looks like the paperwork will be done at the end of the month now. Patience is a virtue.

Reactions
So far, so good. Haven't had any of system failures and I swear the cabin isn't as noisy, as in there's a rattle or two missing. I'll still have an occasional failure to respond when locking/unlocking using the door sensors. And, I didn't note this on the first ST but I can hear the power steering pump, albeit subtly, at times. If the radio's on, at any volume, it's covered up. When it's in for first service I'll have the techs check it. At this rate I won't hit 10k miles until sometime next year.

This one's a 2/5/2020 build. First was 12/2/2019. How're things going with your buyout?

Reactions
So far, so good. Haven't had any of system failures and I swear the cabin isn't as noisy, as in there's a rattle or two missing. I'll still have an occasional failure to respond when locking/unlocking using the door sensors. And, I didn't note this on the first ST but I can hear the power steering pump, albeit subtly, at times. If the radio's on, at any volume, it's covered up. When it's in for first service I'll have the techs check it. At this rate I won't hit 10k miles until sometime next year.

This one's a 2/5/2020 build. First was 12/2/2019. How're things going with your buyout?
Glad to hear the new one is behaving itself.

Buyback was signed on June 30 and the loan was paid off on July 9. Ford reimbursed us the entire purchase amount, plus tax, title, license and any dealer options that were rolled into the loan (all weather mats, locking lug nuts, etc.). We are out a little money for the gap insurance and a few small things, but I’ve asked our dealer to add those items to our new vehicle.

Bought my wife a 2018 Explorer Platinum and she’s happy, so I’m happy. Not a single error or issue with it so far, knock on wood.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

You could hear the power steering pump huh? Are ya sure about that? lol

Reactions
I know...I was driving today and thought "What a dumbass" when I heard it. Obviously I'm not a mechanic. But, it does make a sound that wasn't present in the first ST. NBD.

Reactions
Pop up windscreen on sunroof snapped off after 6 weeks of ownership! I think I only opened the sunroof about 3 times. Very poor quality material. Dealer will order a replacement and install under warranty, six weeks old and already 2 hrs at the service dept!!

Reactions
Anyone experiencing any of these issues? Im in sales so I live in my vehicle. Last ride was a 2014 Jeep GC with 260k and flawless. Love the looks of the ST, the rebates and 0% made me a buyer.

Wind noise is terrible. My rear lift gate opens when I'm at the car wash. Cruise control randomly slows down on its own. Sync system is all but worth less. Ride quality is brutal, can feel every bump. Automatic head lights dim but won't turn back to bright. Android auto works well but can't use any other functions on the screen. Not a first time Ford owner but very disappointed in this ST.

Reactions
Did you test drive it before purchasing? The Sync/Android Auto functionality and ride characteristics shouldn't be a surprise. With all the tech in cars now spending a good deal of time in the dealer's parking lot learning the systems, integrations and sound quality is a must. True dat the ST rides a bit rough but I find mine to be just fine on good pavement and it's not meant to compete with a Lexus.

Sync isn't the best out there but IMO it's 10x better than Chevy, GMC, Acura and a few others. And, I think how Android Auto and CarPlay "take over" isn't a Ford issue but with Google and Apple. Someone can fact check me on that...think it was discussed in more detail in another thread.

I just had the cruise control slow down to 45 in a 55 zone last weekend. Disabled/enabled and it worked find. Pretty sure there's a setting in the cruise menu to enable/disable having speed limit signs dictate speed. I think if it's enabled the most you can set above the posted limit is 7mph. Anyway, worth a few minutes to comb through the driver's assistance settings. First thing I do with a newer vehicle is disable the auto dimming headlight settings. Had it on Ford, Lexus and Toyota and found I'd rather be in control.

Hope this helps a bit. Have a good'un.

Reactions
I did test drive it before buying. Went on local freeway which it rides perfectly fine. Get it on back roads and it's a lumber wagon. Checked tire pressure and it was 39 all the way up to 50. Put everything at 33 so it's a little better. My frustration is this is a brand new vehicle and these options should work as advertised. Took a video today where cruise was set at 60 in a 55 and randomly slows down to 30 for no reason, not a sign in sight. Completely understand I can turn this function off but wondering when you pay for a feature is it wrong to want it to work?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wind noise is terrible. My rear lift gate opens when I'm at the car wash. Cruise control randomly slows down on its own. Sync system is all but worth less. Ride quality is brutal, can feel every bump. Automatic head lights dim but won't turn back to bright. Android auto works well but can't use any other functions on the screen. Not a first time Ford owner but very disappointed in this ST.
All those issues are abnormal. Take it to your dealer. Write down all your issues for them to address.

Reactions
Yeah, I've been down the system failure road once before. First ST spent more time at the dealer than my garage and it was ultimately replaced as a lemon. Speaker and sub upgrade is all it was missing for me. Hope things get better with yours and don't hesitate to bring it in.

Odin

Reactions
Had a water leak in the back passenger corner (sunroof drain tube was wrapped around a wiring harness)
Water leak caused an issue with radio, had no volume on any media
Hood stop (passenger side) missing, since replaced
Rear passenger door sunscreen hook retention clip missing (hook just fell out), waiting on replacement part

Mostly minor stuff, certainly better build quality than the Wranglers we've been driving the last 4 years

Edit: Ooh I see others complaining about Sync... Ya Sync is totally worthless, android auto even worse. I just end up bluetoothing the phone and playing off direct output with my phone propped in front of the tablet screen.

KC Lanrod

Reactions
The Window Lockout was defective at delivery. They had it for over a week and said Ford was making them run exhaustive tests and diagnostics and they would need vehicle for awhile until I told them I was taking the New F150 FX4 Loaner on a week long driving trip. Still not fixed they have had it over a week again, although having them check Bluetooth Microphone (horrible call quality) and both front doors don't sound solid when closing them. The length of time they keep a vehicle is much longer than I have ever experienced but we are trying to be patient. Plus it helps to put the miles on their loaner F150.