Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Second row bench

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I like that when all sections of the bench are folded it provides a full width floor for cargo. The captain chairs leave a big gap in the middle. I leave the third row always folded with a cargo mat.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I have the 2nd row bench seat and like it. Especially when we haul all the grand kids.

npd4432

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just purchased a 2022 ST and it was previously dealer ordered (it took 5 months to come in). Mine was ordered with the rear captains chairs. I would like the rear bench. Anyone wanting to swap, I'd be willing to do so. Let me know, I'll send you my email or phone number.

Reactions
I just purchased a 2022 ST and it was previously dealer ordered (it took 5 months to come in). Mine was ordered with the rear captains chairs. I would like the rear bench. Anyone wanting to swap, I'd be willing to do so. Let me know, I'll send you my email or phone number.
You can't swap it. The pattern bolts on the bottom frame are different.

JgST

Reactions
I specifically wanted a bench with 2 medium large dogs. The captains chairs didn’t work out well, in my last suv a 2018 Tahoe. Other than middle not sliding like each side, it’s better overall especially if u need to fold them down

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You can't swap it. The pattern bolts on the bottom frame are different.
So, not that I don't believe this, but I'm just curious, are you really saying they drill different body mount holes for bench vs captains?

This would seem crazy to me in a mass production scenario. They usually make the bodies so these parts can just be used one way or the other. It has to be something like the mount points exist and you just need a different seat frame mount or something, which, presumably, can also be bought or acquired from a crashed vehicle.

Otherwise, think about the engineering costs to produce 2 distinct unibody frames with different mount points... I just don't believe Ford would do that in this day and age, or maybe I am misunderstanding.

Thoughts?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I did not want the bench but it was the only ST around me I could find with all my other requirements. After having it for a bit I am glad I got the bench. I install a cargo divider in the rear when dogs are along for a ride. My old explorer did not have the bench and they would try to wedge under the empty center section.

Worked out well.