Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SCT X4 tuner / tune results !!

Reactions
Or, you could keep the X4 and get a better tune from BoostKing, Unleashed or Gearhead. I Haven’t run a tune from JDM, but have heard positive things there.

In the end, it doesn’t matter as long as your happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I can understand your position on this issue.
I have gotten some gruff comments because I use an SCT tuner with an E50 tune from 5 star.
I'm sure it would be quicker with say a tune from ZFG but is it really worth spending 750 plus dollars in addition to the tuner I already paid for??
So far with the tune, intake, and exhaust I ran a best of 12.20 1/4 mile.
Most recently I installed the intercooler, I haven't had a chance to run draggy but I'm hoping to be in the high 11's.
For a daily driver I'm happy with it, and I agree it will outrun most cars out there while still retaining all the factory features.
I still have the downpipes to do, as they have been sitting in the garage.
The labor of that install has me second guessing the project I may just pass if there isn't much to gain.
All told for 52,500 for the car and 7k in upgrades including suspension, I think it's one hell of a bargain!
I started out with a gearhead tune because I had an sct livewire from my previous car. I too got sick of all the zfg comments, so since I have a dragy and go to the track a lot, I spent the money on a zfg e50 tune. Turns out everyone was right and I was wrong. I've managed 11.6 with intercooler and intake. It is 100% worth the money if you are able to get ethanol and do an e50 mix.

If you want to stick with SCT devices, you can't beat an auto octane tune from gearhead for $175. I switched back to that over the winter, and on just 93 octane it ran 12.1 on dragy. With some ethanol I managed an 11.9 out of it. The shfiting on the gearhead is crazy smooth too, it shifts like a 60K dollar vehicle should shift.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Or, you could keep the X4 and get a better tune from BoostKing, Unleashed or Gearhead. I Haven’t run a tune from JDM, but have heard positive things there.

In the end, it doesn’t matter as long as your happy with the results.

I have been looking around to try someone else but none of them have an E50 tune, or so I've seen...

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I started out with a gearhead tune because I had an sct livewire from my previous car. I too got sick of all the zfg comments, so since I have a dragy and go to the track a lot, I spent the money on a zfg e50 tune. Turns out everyone was right and I was wrong. I've managed 11.6 with intercooler and intake. It is 100% worth the money if you are able to get ethanol and do an e50 mix.

If you want to stick with SCT devices, you can't beat an auto octane tune from gearhead for $175. I switched back to that over the winter, and on just 93 octane it ran 12.1 on dragy. With some ethanol I managed an 11.9 out of it. The shfiting on the gearhead is crazy smooth too, it shifts like a 60K dollar vehicle should shift.
I'm running E50 tune now, and before the intercooler install I ran a 12.20.
So after when I can run it I'm hoping for 11.80 or so.
With that said to me its not worth spending another 1k to gain 2 tenths....
However I will have to wait to see what it runs.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The only reason I made the switch to ZFG was I already had a HP device, and it still cost me 650. 450 for the tune and 200 for 4 credits.

In the end, I'm glad I switched. With just a whipple IC and a zfg 93 tune I managed a 12.09@112.30 and a 3.75 0-60 on an E30 mix. I would have never made a run that quick on a 5 star tune. The best I ever got on 5 star was a 12.59 on 93 with the IC. To be fair, the best I ever got on the ZFG tune with 93 in the tank was a 12.38 and a 3.95 0-60, I dropped 3 tenths by switching to an E30 mix.

Last edited:
Reactions
I have been looking around to try someone else but none of them have an E50 tune, or so I've seen...
Only ones that I’m aware of that do e50 are ZFG and 5*. The 5* tunes seem to be slower than my GH AO tune with e30.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #27
The only reason I made the switch to ZFG was I already had a HP device, and it still cost me 650. 450 for the tune and 200 for 4 credits.

In the end, I'm glad I switched. With just a whipple IC and a zfg 93 tune I managed a 12.09@112.30 and a 3.75 0-60 on an E30 mix. I would have never made a run that quick on a 5 star tune. The best I ever got on 5 star was a 12.59 on 93 with the IC. To be fair, the best I ever got on the ZFG tune with 93 in the tank was a 12.38 and a 3.95 0-60, I dropped 3 tenths by switching to an E30 mix.

Those are some pretty good results, but like most other people on this site I only wanted, and got, enhanced speed and pull over the stock Ford settings. I'm not racing the truck, and I'm not making money at the track so the SCT tuner and files have given me all I need. I have a Dragy on the way so I'll find out how much better than stock the SCT tune is, and that's that. I won't spend money on an intercooler, springs, or anything else after this, although I did install the AWR diff bracket.

Another point is that I feel the ZFG tune with HP device and combined with the points thing is not something I would have, or will choose in the future. And to install a Whipple cooler for the sake of a few tenths is border line wasteful, UNLESS you intend to drive competetively in order to bring home the bacon. I have the money and it would be easy for me to build a very fast ST, but why? Probably just for fun.

And what the hell are points anyway. sounds like ZFG has found a way to make money for doing nothing. You pay for the device, you pay for the tune, and then need points. Sounds like BS and I'm glad now that they never replied to me when I was buying my tune. I own my tuner, it came with a great tune, and there are plenty of other companies out there providing custom files for the ST for around $175 if I wanted one. So who's to say there aren't files just as good as the files from ZFG at a much lower no points needed price.

Anyway, I have what I want and need at this point. The Dragy is on the way, I have a few appearance items installed and on the way, so and I'm happy with the results. Special thanks to the staff at SCT who have a phone number to call, people to return calls, and a super great all around product for $325 complete.

Reactions
Those are some pretty good results, but like most other people on this site I only wanted, and got, enhanced speed and pull over the stock Ford settings. I'm not racing the truck, and I'm not making money at the track so the SCT tuner and files have given me all I need. I have a Dragy on the way so I'll find out how much better than stock the SCT tune is, and that's that. I won't spend money on an intercooler, springs, or anything else after this, although I did install the AWR diff bracket.

Another point is that I feel the ZFG tune with HP device and combined with the points thing is not something I would have, or will choose in the future. And to install a Whipple cooler for the sake of a few tenths is border line wasteful, UNLESS you intend to drive competetively in order to bring home the bacon. I have the money and it would be easy for me to build a very fast ST, but why? Probably just for fun.

And what the hell are points anyway. sounds like ZFG has found a way to make money for doing nothing. You pay for the device, you pay for the tune, and then need points. Sounds like BS and I'm glad now that they never replied to me when I was buying my tune. I own my tuner, it came with a great tune, and there are plenty of other companies out there providing custom files for the ST for around $175 if I wanted one. So who's to say there aren't files just as good as the files from ZFG at a much lower no points needed price.

Anyway, I have what I want and need at this point. The Dragy is on the way, I have a few appearance items installed and on the way, so and I'm happy with the results. Special thanks to the staff at SCT who have a phone number to call, people to return calls, and a super great all around product for $325 complete.
Totally understand your standpoint and don't give into the pressure, ha.

On the HPT thing with "points". They are credits and are mandated by the tuning platform and not ZFG. With HPT, you can use the same device across multiple vehicles to tune at the same time, the credits is just how they control the access to tune the individual vehicles. SCT locks a device to one vehicle at a time to a max of 5 vehicles until a reset is needed. There are pros and cons to both platforms.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The “points” system allows you to use the same device on as many cars as you want…just buy the credits needed for that vehicle. SCT you would need to buy a new device for each car you want to tune.
As far as this: “So who's to say there aren't files just as good as the files from ZFG at a much lower price.”

Because there’s not. He’s quite simply the best there is to tune one of these things.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #30
The “points” system allows you to use the same device on as many cars as you want…just buy the credits needed for that vehicle. SCT you would need to buy a new device for each car you want to tune.
As far as this: “So who's to say there aren't files just as good as the files from ZFG at a much lower price.”

Because there’s not. He’s quite simply the best there is to tune one of these things.

That would be a biased opinion, when in reality I'm sure there are some tunes out there as good as any from ZFG. The problem is that you or I, or anyone else would need to purchase the tunes then compare the tunes to a known baseline, which in this case would be a dynometer. Not dragy or track times seen on the web. I will agree that based on the number of ZFG users from this forum alone ZFG appears to be the leader in that respect.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That would be a biased opinion, when in reality I'm sure there are some tunes out there as good as any from ZFG. The problem is that you or I, or anyone else would need to purchase the tunes then compare the tunes to a known baseline, which in this case would be a dynometer. Not dragy or track times seen on the web. I will agree that based on the number of ZFG users from this forum alone ZFG appears to be the leader in that respect.
Many people have tried multiple tunes from multiple tuners on these cars. All come to the same conclusion that ZFG is top of the heap. Then there’s the “top” lists for performance we’re every top car is ZFG tuned. No opinions needed…the results are what they are.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I would say it's all subject to what you have going on. In my case with an E50 tune and the mods running a 12 flat maybe 11.85 1/4 mile it would be my opinion, "Is it worth 1000 dollars to run three tenths of a second better?" All in the owner. To me not really as I already have my setup. I'm sitting on downpipes now cause my question is what's the point? What will I gain beyond more turbo sound?

Reactions
For those of us that couldn’t care less about drag racing or wringing every tenth or extra bit of power, the X4 is a great bang for the buck if you just want to up the fun factor. An intercooler and even a canned tune work wonders, and definitely not as pricey as some of the others. The Steeda intercooler/X4 package is a perfect example.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@LokiWolf posted Dyno info on the ZFG tune years ago and it is like @UNBROKEN said; absolutely no comparison. Adam at ZFG is the king of getting ST's moving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
@LokiWolf posted Dyno info on the ZFG tune years ago and it is like @UNBROKEN said; absolutely no comparison. Adam at ZFG is the king of getting ST's moving.
Dyno numbers are always fun to chase lol i really want to see a zfg car same mods vs another st tuned with a different tuner all i see is he say she say

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Dyno numbers are always fun to chase lol i really want to see a zfg car same mods vs another st tuned with a different tuner all i see is he say she say
That’s been posted countless times on the FB groups. ZFG also holds every single 1/8 and 1/4 mile top spots for the ST and also has the 3.5 F150 record.
There’s no he said/she said to it…his stuff is flat out better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
That’s been posted countless times on the FB groups. ZFG also holds every single 1/8 and 1/4 mile top spots for the ST and also has the 3.5 F150 record.
There’s no he said/she said to it…his stuff is flat out better.
Too bad i dont have facebook ‍♂️ what happens if u redline sleep at the light etc? And these st haven’t been pushed at all they are full weight take seats out legit light weight wheels and different tires etc

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Too bad i dont have facebook ‍♂️ what happens if u redline sleep at the light etc? And these st haven’t been pushed at all they are full weight take seats out legit light weight wheels and different tires etc
Regardless of why you don’t have FB…all the stuff you mention has already been done and most of it has been posted on the various groups there.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Regardless of why you don’t have FB…all the stuff you mention has already been done and most of it has been posted on the various groups there.
And u still doing a he say she say so oh well

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
And u still doing a he say she say so oh well
Not at all. It’s all been done and results are there for everyone to see.
If you choose to not go see for yourself that’s fine…