Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SCT X4 tuner / tune results !!

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm new to this forum, but not new to fast cars and I can list any number of cars I've owned new or 1 year old from the 60's and 70's that were fast in their day. Those cars that I've owned included a 64' 427 Ford Galaxie, 69' BOSS 302, 69' Road Runner, 73' Malibu tuned and making over 550 HP, and on, and on. Hell, I even raced a dirt track car for Bobby Allison and Jim Coach. The engine? A 413.

I'm 71, and the reason I listed those cars is to put some credability into the next statement I make. Being that all of those cars could turn low 14 or mid 13 second times in the 1/4 mile I find it easy to say my SCT tuned 2021 Explorer ST could hands down take any one of them in the 1/4 mile. And on top of that my (and your) SCT tuned Explorer could probably toast 99% of the factory muscle cars ever made. This Explorer has to be the sleeper of all sleepers, and I can now see (and feel) what the excitement is all about.

I would also like to say that (with my flame suit on) the SCT tuner and tune is as good as it gets for anyone not making a living at the track, and I can not find a reason to spend more than the SCT tuner cost.

I was able to shut off the auto stop/start feature, tune for 91 octane (or higher), and a couple of other features. Plus I like that SCT forces you to download thier latest tune before you can continue, and that the SCT tuner keeps you informed every step of the way. I also liked that the tuner automatically backs up the original OEM tune. So, until I can find a dragy, or et to a track I'm happy with the results, and happy I now have a truck that will keep all of the rice burners, Doge SRT's, HEMI's, etc. in the rear view mirror.

Thank you SCT for a tuner and tune file that works as good as any initial tune out there, and all that for less than $420.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you just loaded a canned 91 tune you’ve barely scratched the surface of what these cars are capable of.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Tell us about the Galaxy with the transplanted engine.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Tell us about the Galaxy with the transplanted engine.
Sorry about that Mr. head of gear. My father sold me the car in 1968. It was a maroon 64' Galaxie with a 427 in it, NOT a 429. I had a brain fart thinking back all those years. It was my father who had a 1969 429, one of only 400 made. Love to have that now. Time flies.

The Galaxie was a fantastic car, and my buddies back then all wanted to go to the drive in with me on double dates. That's because the rear seat was freakin huge. What times we all had back then.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Just wanted you to know I was reading. ;)

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
If you just loaded a canned 91 tune you’ve barely scratched the surface of what these cars are capable of.
I just ordered a dragy. The thing is I won't split hairs looking for 10ths of a second. Those days are gone for me, but I wanted what could be my last vehicle to be fun and I think this will fill the bill. I can also carry all of my bench rest gear and rifles without problems, drive with comfort

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Just wanted you to know I was reading. ;)
Good to know someone who knows about cars. Thanks for setting me straight.(y)

Reactions
Glad you are enjoying your ST and your tune. If you are looking for an easy quick canned tune this is your best bet. The biggest limitation however is the lack of transmission tuning which IMO is where a custom tune like ZFG really shines. Enjoy your ride!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I just ordered a dragy. The thing is I won't split hairs looking for 10ths of a second. Those days are gone for me, but I wanted what could be my last vehicle to be fun and I think this will fill the bill. I can also carry all of my bench rest gear and rifles without problems, drive with comfort
That’s the thing though…a canned 91 tune vs a custom E50 tune isn’t 10ths…it’s over a full second. Even a canned 91 vs a custom 93 will likely be over a second.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
At least in terms of 0-60, SCT's canned tune is similar to the Ford Performace tune according to what people have posted.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Glad you are enjoying your ST and your tune. If you are looking for an easy quick canned tune this is your best bet. The biggest limitation however is the lack of transmission tuning which IMO is where a custom tune like ZFG really shines. Enjoy your ride!
I downloaded the latest tune from SCT yesterday. How can anyone know if they have or haven't changed the transmission settings? Shifts pretty hard now, so they've done something.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I downloaded the latest tune from SCT yesterday. How can anyone know if they have or haven't changed the transmission settings? Shifts pretty hard now, so they've done something.
You’re feeling a difference in shifting because every time you load a new tune it resets the adaptive learning part of the trans and you go through that whole process again.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Sorry about that Mr. head of gear. My father sold me the car in 1968. It was a maroon 64' Galaxie with a 427 in it, NOT a 429. I had a brain fart thinking back all those years. It was my father who had a 1969 429, one of only 400 made. Love to have that now. Time flies.

The Galaxie was a fantastic car, and my buddies back then all wanted to go to the drive in with me on double dates. That's because the rear seat was freakin huge. What times we all had back then.
Yea I remember those days in my 68 GTO

Reactions
There are trans tuning changes in the canned tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
There are changes to the trans in the canned tune. I haven’t played with it much because I have several custom tunes, but maybe able to show some of the differences between stock (on a ‘21) and the canned tune.

You can give it some time to learn and the shifts should take down. If not, you can always go into the vehicle functions > special functions > KAM reset and reset the trans tables again. They should be getting reset when you load the tune, however I’ve had varying results from SCT.

Reactions
Very minimal changes in the SCT canned tune. Every cell with "green" in it is a change vs. Stock
ST Stock Trans (1).png ST Stock Trans (2).png ST Stock Trans (3).png ST Stock Trans (4).png ST Stock Trans (5).png

Reactions
Nice info, Blown

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
Thank you !!!

Reactions
Am honestly surprised that there aren’t any shift schedule changes, but I guess it’s a pretty mild tune overall. It does drive pretty well though.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I can understand your position on this issue.
I have gotten some gruff comments because I use an SCT tuner with an E50 tune from 5 star.
I'm sure it would be quicker with say a tune from ZFG but is it really worth spending 750 plus dollars in addition to the tuner I already paid for??
So far with the tune, intake, and exhaust I ran a best of 12.20 1/4 mile.
Most recently I installed the intercooler, I haven't had a chance to run draggy but I'm hoping to be in the high 11's.
For a daily driver I'm happy with it, and I agree it will outrun most cars out there while still retaining all the factory features.
I still have the downpipes to do, as they have been sitting in the garage.
The labor of that install has me second guessing the project I may just pass if there isn't much to gain.
All told for 52,500 for the car and 7k in upgrades including suspension, I think it's one hell of a bargain!

Explorer ST Posts