Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sct X4 canned tunes

Ky8530

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello. I have an sct x4 that I’m not using for one vehicle and I was thinking of installing the tune it has for the st. Has anyone used the x4 canned tunes as opposed to the custom tunes?

Reactions
I was using the canned 91 octane tune and it does make a pretty reasonable difference. I got a 4.67 0-60 on my 2020 with our not so good ethanol-free British Columbian 91 octane, it is posted in the thread with all the dragy times.

It had less drivetrain glitches with the tune than it did without the tune. The custom tuning available is going to net you better times but this is still a lot better than stock but won't win any internet races but you'll still be faster than all but a few big dollar SUV's out in the wild.

It is worth doing seeing as you already have the device.

Reactions
Brett did a pretty decent job with the canned tune for the explorer. It’s not a custom tune, but a decent jump in power and shifts better.

Load it up and try it. If you don’t like it, you can get a custom tune from Brett (BoostKing tuning) or Gearhead or Unleashed for your X4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

Ky8530

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the replys! I will try to post up some draggy times once I get it loaded up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Trust me and everyone else on here, go with ZFG.

Reactions
I personally used JDM out in NJ.
They're cool guys and have been working on Fords for 25 years.
They definitely seem to know what they're doing.
The issue is, I cant compare my 93 tune they did to ZFG.
I dont know how much difference it would be.
It's hard to fork over another 600-800 for a tune only to find out it was equal or slightly better.
I guess dyno numbers would have to play the difference or even draggy times.
JDM 93 gets you into the low 4's / high 3's.
I have yet to break 4.11 however I havent ran much this year yet so.
Even if JDM can get 4.0's 0-60 consistently and ZFG can get 3.9's is it worth the 600-800?

Reactions
How much was your tune at JDM?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
A ZFG tune is only $450 if you already have an HP tuning device, if you don't have an HP device it will cost you more depending on type of device you choose. Also, ZFG will only write tunes that work on HP devices. He even states on his site that he will not write a tune for another type of device, so don't even ask. Many other tuners use the X4 and some use both the X4 and HP. If you don't have any device then go with ZFG, they are the best out there, but if you already have a device that is not an HP product then you need to decide if dropping another 7-800 for a device and tune is worth it.

BTW, I have an X4 and a custom tune from 5 star and after I installed the whipple I/C and loaded the updated tune, I ran a 4.34 0-60 and a 12.59@110.12 quarter mile according to my dragy. That was on a stock 21 ST with factory 20's, an I/C, and a 91 performance tune from 5 star running shell 93

Reactions
How much was your tune at JDM?

I believe it was around 700. I was given the X4 device with it so going to HP is an additional cost Im not sure is worth it.
I mean if numbers could be clear then the money could be justified but a 93 octane tune from my understanding can only warrant so much before having to do other mods.
Its similar to my exhaust setup. I have the Borla Atak and removed the mid resonator and added a Xpipe for more sound but its a bit much now so...
I could get 2 resonators put in the xpipe now but thats 400. Is the 400 going to get the sound where i want it? Would the 400 get me exactly what I have with the Borla resonator in?
If ZFG tune made substantial gains from what I have then spending 800 all over again would be worth it but theres a lot of if's.
I have nothing to compare to as I have not been in another modded ST. All I have at this point is how I feel the car handles and its overall power which imo is pretty fast.
A buddy of mine has Mazda 3 speed heavily modded and is now a race track car and he said the ST is quite impressive however this is all subjective at the end of the day and what someone is willing to spend.
If JDM gets me 0-60 times in and around 4 seconds which they have, how much more is on the table from any other tuner?
I cant imagine anyone on this planet getting much more out of a 93 octane tune safely and if they can, how much faster and is another 800 worth that number?
imo, if I could get to 3.5s 0-60 from another tuner than imo 800 would be money well spent but again to each their own.
Anyway, tks.

Reactions
Gotcha so initially the times are pretty much the same price if you don’t have a device. I’ll probably still go with ZFG, even though JDM is kinda close to me I can use the HO tuner in my driveway lol

Reactions
Not sure if it’s a factor for some, but caught me by surprise with my HPT device, is that you need internet to load a tune on the vehicle. Usually not a big deal, but for me I have to plan if I’m in a remote area and need to change tunes.

You need internet to load the tune onto a X4 or other SCT device, but not to load the tune to the vehicle.

Reactions
Gotcha so initially the times are pretty much the same price if you don’t have a device. I’ll probably still go with ZFG, even though JDM is kinda close to me I can use the HO tuner in my driveway lol

You would get a tuner from JDM and be able to change your own tunes whenever. Unless you wanted to spend the $$$ on a Dyno tune?

Reactions
Not sure if it’s a factor for some, but caught me by surprise with my HPT device, is that you need internet to load a tune on the vehicle. Usually not a big deal, but for me I have to plan if I’m in a remote area and need to change tunes.

You need internet to load the tune onto a X4 or other SCT device, but not to load the tune to the vehicle.

Can’t you do the tuning with an HP tuner on your phone? So you really need internet or cell service.

Reactions
Can’t you do the tuning with an HP tuner on your phone? So you really need internet or cell service.

There is more that can be done with the TDN app and the “+” devices that are somewhat recent. I think you can even use the TDN app with previous devices if you have a Android phone.

Either way, if you have cell service, you can hotspot for a laptop if needed. So I see them as the same thing.

Just as an example, I live in a major city, but head 30-40 minutes west and there is NO cell coverage. Hence why I’m mentioning it. There are plenty of dead zones. If you don’t have a auto-octane tune, they are also the most likely place to sell crap gas, lol.

Again, I know it’s not major.

Reactions
Gotcha, so your talking more so if / when you have to switch maps. I just as thinking more for when you’re flashing the initial tune.

Luckily for me I don’t travel often to areas with less than 93 octane so hopefully I’ll be okay 97% of the time hah.

Reactions
Gotcha, so your talking more so if / when you have to switch maps. I just as thinking more for when you’re flashing the initial tune.

Luckily for me I don’t travel often to areas with less than 93 octane so hopefully I’ll be okay 97% of the time hah.

Ya, basically any time you connect a HPT device to load any tune (even stock) onto the car, the phone or laptop need internet.