Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Scratch repair questions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Took my 2022 explorer ST threw a automatic touchless carwash today as a test before purchasing a membership. Its black paint but appears to be blue due to sky reflection.

The "laser" guided sprayer came down and hit the wing/spoiler that extends from the rear window. Truck is 6 months old with 2300 miles....

What would be the easiest/cheapest way to repair this? I have no exp with body work or detailing.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hopefully, the car wash is paying for it. The wing is a small section with natural breaks. If it were mine, I'd take it to a trusted body shop and have them respray the whole piece.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I tried to call the # but they where closed already. The app did have a forced waver about damage so I assume I will be told to kick rocks.

The damage is on the top of the "spoiler" and kinda hard to see unless looking for it but that's not the point. Depending on the answer I get I might talk to some detailers and see if they can do anything before springing for a respray.

Here is the location of the damage.

(not my image)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The carwash IS responsible for malfunctioning equipment. Protections are built into these types of washes. They're not supposed to run if your car isn't pulled all the way in. Short of you backing up in the bay during the wash, I can't imagine how they'd claim it is your fault.

I'd go in and talk to them. You are probably not the only one that this has happened to. I'd be prepared to stand my ground. They'll likely say no at first but there is a reasonable expectation that your car not be damaged to this degree. They don't want to go into small claims court any more than you do.

A few swirls in a brush-type carwash should be expected but this isn't a brush-type carwash and this kind of damage is well beyond that.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Run your nail over it, if it's deep, I would have a body shop take care of it. If it's light scratches, a detailer can take care of it.

As for who is responsible, it should be them, I would push for them to fix it on their dime.