Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safe Jack Points under the vehicle

KegsBdry

Reactions
Getting my replacement resonator from Borla. Note: If you got a Borla Exhaust in the last year, you might need to replace the resonator (if you are getting fiber hairs on your back window after months of use). Someone else found that out.

Anyone know the safe Jack Points besides these 4 sill locations under the Explorer (see attached)? I think a regular jack could bend these sill points.

2E2481E7-5DBA-4FCD-9375-A5FA9C727F4B.jpeg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Rear differential can be used to jack the rear end. Obviously, insulate it with a hockey puck or block of wood.

There is no central front jacking point I'm afraid.

For the side pinch weld frame rails, there are plenty of pucks you can get with slots.

torque-solution-tor-ts-tl-418-128658407427_4000x.progressive.jpg

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Rear differential can be used to jack the rear end. Obviously, insulate it with a hockey puck or block of wood.

There is no central front jacking point I'm afraid.

For the side pinch weld frame rails, there are plenty of pucks you can get with slots.

View attachment 2041
Glad to hear the block of wood is still in use. It’s been my ‘go to’ for some time.

Never seen that tool. Thank you!

wegregory

Reactions
Getting my replacement resonator from Borla. Note: If you got a Borla Exhaust in the last year, you might need to replace the resonator (if you are getting fiber hairs on your back window after months of use). Someone else found that out.

Anyone know the safe Jack Points besides these 4 sill locations under the Explorer (see attached)? I think a regular jack could bend these sill points.

View attachment 2040
To your comment, my floor jack did bend one jack point. The area and door actually crushed from it as it was collapsing and shifted.

Attachments

Reactions
When I cosmolined the underside of my explorer I took all of the panels off the underside of the car, when doing so I found a place where I feel comfortable jacking from which is where the front sub frame connects to the body. It’s pretty much in line with the official front body lift point, Since it’s not the official place to lift from, everyone should look at it themself and decide if you feel comfortable with that location.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Is there a way to jack the entire side of the vehicle up to rotate the tires from front to back? Or would it hurt to jack up both rear tires using the rear differential, install jack stands, lower the vehicle onto the jack stands, then use the same jack to lift the front one side at a time?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is there a way to jack the entire side of the vehicle up to rotate the tires from front to back? Or would it hurt to jack up both rear tires using the rear differential, install jack stands, lower the vehicle onto the jack stands, then use the same jack to lift the front one side at a time?
I always just jack the front side pinch weld jack pt and it will lift the entire side front and back.

wegregory

Reactions
I always just jack the front side pinch weld jack pt and it will lift the entire side front and back.
I am struggling to find these front side pinch weld points. Can you help me to idenitfy the exact spot?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am struggling to find these front side pinch weld points. Can you help me to idenitfy the exact spot?
The diagram is in the first post. There will be a gap in the plastic where you will see a metal lip that runs front to back. I'll try to snap a pic when I get home. 3C56C2A6-2489-4B07-AF9C-7D847295B771.jpeg 8C72A22B-205D-4CF3-B3E2-EB8E29001E47.jpeg

Last edited:

wegregory

Reactions
The diagram is in the first post. There will be a gap in the plastic where you will see a metal lip that runs front to back. I'll try to snap a pic when I get home. View attachment 4422 View attachment 4423
That's great. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Reactions
Wife had a flat on the way to Asheville. AAA dude almost screwed up our new ST with less than 10K miles on it. I was able to repair the pinch wield he screwed up due to lifting in the wrong area. Stupid that I had to label the correct lift point, but don't want a repeat. IMG_0033.JPG

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Wife had a flat on the way to Asheville. AAA dude almost screwed up our new ST with less than 10K miles on it. I was able to repair the pinch wield he screwed up due to lifting in the wrong area. Stupid that I had to label the correct lift point, but don't want a repeat. View attachment 4436
Good idea. I will steal that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Wife had a flat on the way to Asheville. AAA dude almost screwed up our new ST with less than 10K miles on it. I was able to repair the pinch wield he screwed up due to lifting in the wrong area. Stupid that I had to label the correct lift point, but don't want a repeat. View attachment 4436
I removed my wheels today and even by lifting in the correct spot, it bent the plastic. Had to mold it back into shape. Just have to be careful not to put on pressure near the plastic pieces. Lessons learned.

wegregory

Reactions
I removed my wheels today and even by lifting in the correct spot, it bent the plastic. Had to mold it back into shape. Just have to be careful not to put on pressure near the plastic pieces. Lessons learned.

If you look at my earlier post in this thread, I had the same thing. Did you lift with the factory jack or with a floor jack and the pinch weld insert?

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
If you look at my earlier post in this thread, I had the same thing. Did you lift with the factory jack or with a floor jack and the pinch weld insert?
I used a floor Jack with a special round pinch weld puck. I guess it was too wide. I just ordered a more narrow one. Hope that works better.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Lol Looks like something I would do. (y)

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Not real good at painting. Hands not as good as they used to be. Age and laying on your back didn't help. I think you get the point. I painted the arrows and the lift space orange. The dealer bent one of my seams when they serviced it last due to not using the proper lift points. If they screw it up next time they have to be blind. You can't see the orange when you look at the ST unless you look directly under it. Didn't have any label like member mwinn.
Jacking Pts.jpg

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Not real good at painting. Hands not as good as they used to be. Age and laying on your back didn't help. I think you get the point. I painted the arrows and the lift space orange. The dealer bent one of my seams when they serviced it last due to not using the proper lift points. If they screw it up next time they have to be blind. You can't see the orange when you look at the ST unless you look directly under it. Didn't have any label like member mwinn.
View attachment 4523
Nice. I like it.

GTP

Reactions
Here is my dealer's handiwork.
20210602_194223_left.jpg

They got both sides!
20210602_194301_right.jpg