Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RWD ST

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I gotta say I'm with unbroken on this one just from my TBSS experience. Stock for stock the AWD TBSS's would dog the RWD ones in the quarter from what I saw (maybe others will disagree). Now as stated above, throw some mods on or a tire and that game changes up very quickly.
TBSS?

Reactions
I wouldn't expect a higher trap with the RWD. The Explorer cuts power to the front wheels at a certain speed, so there's less drag when the front wheel traction isn't needed.
The RWD ST gets 2 MPG more than the AWD on the HWY. So there's definitely drag at higher speeds. If you check the intelligent AWD on the dashboard, you'll notice there's still some power going to the front wheels/

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Let's face it, until we have one of the RWDs broken in and running, we're all just guesstimating. But, I'd contend that completely stock there's more than 2/10s between them. There's probably 2/10s just in the weight differential, and there's at least another 1/10 in driving all the AWD components. Put another way, if it was a rolling start even at 5 mph, I don't think the AWD version wins. At higher HP levels, there's no contest- AWD. Now we can move on to arguing about "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" ;)

Reactions
In more cases than not, the AWD version has faster ET's vs the RWD version but at a slight slower trap speed.
However, where wheel spin isn't much of an issue, the RWD will be the faster car.

I highly doubt the ST will have much traction issues especially at the weight it is in stock form. The F-150 4x2 was about .3 seconds faster trapping 1-2 MPH vs 4x4, I expect the RWD ST to have similar results vs the AWD.

Reactions
Thank god I live in Buffalo so I wouldn't have to have this debate about going RWD haha. I'll sacrifice any MINIMAL performance difference and highway MPG for traction any day.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Something else to consider if we’re being honest with ourselves…99.9% of the action you’re gonna get will happen on the street and will be way less than 1/4 mile. Very few people actually take these things to the track…almost everyone just uses a Dragy on the street. Your average red light battle will be less than 1/8 mile…
I agree with this, but have a different take.

100% agree that most/all action is on the street. Which also means that I’m not likely going all out and stalling it in the ST against the car in the next lane. More likely to leave the line somewhat aggressive and if they do too, then pin it.

So from that standpoint I really like the 5-60mph test the c&d does. Gives a good indication of how responsive the car is. Which to me, is more fun/important than how hard it launches (to each their own on that though). Jason Cammisa does a good video worth checking out (not saying it necessarily applies to the ST. More-so wrx and the like).

Anyways it’ll be interesting to see what kinda numbers the new rwd variants put down.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I agree with this, but have a different take.

100% agree that most/all action is on the street. Which also means that I’m not likely going all out and stalling it in the ST against the car in the next lane. More likely to leave the line somewhat aggressive and if they do too, then pin it.

So from that standpoint I really like the 5-60mph test the c&d does. Gives a good indication of how responsive the car is. Which to me, is more fun/important than how hard it launches (to each their own on that though). Jason Cammisa does a good video worth checking out (not saying it necessarily applies to the ST. More-so wrx and the like).

Anyways it’ll be interesting to see what kinda numbers the new rwd variants put down.

And here is an article from this guy last year regarding rolling starts,0-60, etc.:

How 0-60 Testing Works - Magazines 0-60 Testing (roadandtrack.com)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Good old 1’ roll out. Magazines making cars seem faster than they are for years that way.
Dragy shows it as well. My 3.7X 0-60 times are 3.5X with 1’ roll out.

Reactions
My question is what rear subframe will be used for the differential? Hahaha wait and see

ranjel

Reactions
Who would actually want to buy a RWD ST? Unless its to take Drifting....

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
And here is an article from this guy last year regarding rolling starts,0-60, etc.:

How 0-60 Testing Works - Magazines 0-60 Testing (roadandtrack.com)
Yep. Same dude. And he’s spot on.

“More often than not, real drag races happen with little notice at a traffic light. Leave your car in Drive and floor it, and the result can look very different from what 0-to-60 times suggest.”

“It’s that 5-to-60—the first number you should look at, and when the light turns green, the only one that matters.”

Reactions
Usually even in platforms designed to be 4WD/AWD, a rear drive only has a better towing capacity. This is historically for ladder on frame designs. There may be a fuel economy difference as well, but with today's electronics it is probably moot. Weight on the other hand is still physics

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep. Same dude. And he’s spot on.

“More often than not, real drag races happen with little notice at a traffic light. Leave your car in Drive and floor it, and the result can look very different from what 0-to-60 times suggest.”

“It’s that 5-to-60—the first number you should look at, and when the light turns green, the only one that matters.”
I drive 100% in Sport mode…I worked with Adam enough on the shifts that’s just my preferred mode for daily driving. That said…if someone gives the nod at a light I’m brake boosted before he finishes his nod. Game on…I’m always ready.

Reactions
I drive 100% in Sport mode…I worked with Adam enough on the shifts that’s just my preferred mode for daily driving. That said…if someone gives the nod at a light I’m brake boosted before he finishes his nod. Game on…I’m always ready.
My wife can't stand it.. even though mine is underpowered compared to yours.. I'm always ready whether someones cruising my rear bumper or if they inch up at a red light.

Usually turns out they have no intention of racing.. just impatient drivers but I still boost it and go regardless haha!

Reactions
Who would actually want to buy a RWD ST? Unless its to take Drifting....
LOL Its fast for an SUV but c'mon.... You're acting like it's going to be having crazy traction issues. If that were the case, sports cars, pony cars, etc would all be useless since 99.9% of them are RWD.

Not everyone lives in the snow or go dirt/off roading. So needing the AWD is moot for people like me. Drives better in the rain? Sure, but I had FWD car's that were perfectly fine as well.

hbalek

Reactions
LOL Its fast for an SUV but c'mon.... You're acting like it's going to be having crazy traction issues. If that were the case, sports cars, pony cars, etc would all be useless since 99.9% of them are RWD.

Not everyone lives in the snow or go dirt/off roading. So needing the AWD is moot for people like me. Drives better in the rain? Sure, but I had FWD car's that were perfectly fine as well.
I had a RWD 2003 Infinti G35 sedan. I found that the type of tires I had made a world of difference for traction! But having driven AWD for over 11 years now, I can count at least 3 occasions where it got me home safely when others were stuck sliding in snow banks. I would never go back to 2WD!

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
I get it. My point is this vehicle (or any for that matter) serves different needs for different people. Yours = race car. In my house = family hauler that’s fun to drive (while being decent enough in the winter for the wife to drive) until the garage space clears up of kids toys and there’s room for me to put a dedicated fast car in there again.

It’s a neat car and I thoroughly enjoy it. In stock form, faster than 80% of the cars on the road here. With that said, I'm not running around eyeing every 16, 28, 53, whatever year old next to me at the light, looking to run em. If it happens it happens, and it’s not typically pre-planned.

Reactions
I had a RWD 2003 Infinti G35 sedan. I found that the type of tires I had made a world of difference for traction! But having driven AWD for over 11 years now, I can count at least 3 occasions where it got me home safely when others were stuck sliding in snow banks. I would never go back to 2WD!
Which goes back to what I said, not everyone lives by the snowy mountains or goes off roading.

I never been in a situation where 4WD vehicles were a must or anything of that sort. my 335i RWD was in the 400's whp, my Cobra was in the 500's whp, neither were a drift monster lol It's all in the suspension and/or tires, the RWD ST for most people will be just fine.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Which goes back to what I said, not everyone lives by the snowy mountains or goes off roading.

I never been in a situation where 4WD vehicles were a must or anything of that sort. my 335i RWD was in the 400's whp, my Cobra was in the 500's whp, neither were a drift monster lol It's all in the suspension and/or tires, the RWD ST for most people will be just fine.
I live in the south as well so no practical need for 4WD…but I sure wish my 750+ HP 2WD F150 had it…that thing was useless under 60mph. Although I do miss rolling burnouts. lol