Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RWD fuse

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Does anybody have a fuse chart for the 2020 ST, or know which fuse or fuses would handle the awd system? After being In the st for over a year, I really miss the way rwd felt on spirited drives around corners and with winter coming up, the occasion parking lot spin! Anyone mess with this before? Any tuning option to tune/code the awd system to onky send power to the rears?
My f30 used to have an awd tuner where you could customize the percentages of power sent to the rear vs front ex. 80/20 for minimal awd or 100/0 for full rear wheel. Anything similar exist for this car?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Your vehicle should be sending the bulk of its power to the rear wheels. You know you can watch where power is being directed on the dash, right?

OP
T5ewell

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Thread Starter #3
IMG_7691.png Possibly a way to electronically disconnect the from axel, a plug somewhere? Any charts anyone has or wiring diagrams would be helpful! I’ll share the results if I make it happen

OP
T5ewell

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Thread Starter #4
Your vehicle should be sending the bulk of its power to the rear wheels. You know you can watch that on the dash, right?
I didn’t know that, I tried some light spins in sport with advance trac off, holding for 10 seconds, and the awd still felt like it was holding me back from breaking lose, I tried easing into it. Not sure if this car can handle a full throttle dump to start a donut without throwing codes. Anyone able to spin their car stock without snow?
Around corners and big intersections I can get it sideways fully from a rolling start without much effort but I’d much rather stick to a parking lot, and it felt super skippy trying to do a donut vs a slide

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, you can arrow up and down on the steering wheel and move to a screen where it shows where power is distributed. That said, you've picked the wrong vehicle if breaking the back end lose is a primary goal. These will spin tires but they're designed to do everything a vehicle can not to spin them. Not a great choice for a drifter.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I don't think they are designed to supply full power to the rear end, even if you have a 4 bolt rear diff mount, you'll probably break something.

EDIT: I guess the RWD ST has 400 HP

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Then what do they do with a 2wd ST, does some of the power just evaporate into thin air?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All power always goes to the rear. It's only the clutch-operated front wheel drive that's controlled. There may be some way to disable the FWD clutches.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
You could probably build a box as the OP described to intercept the signals to the actuators and set the clutches as desired while feeding back signals to prevent alarms or error codes.

OP
T5ewell

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Thread Starter #11
All power always goes to the rear. It's only the clutch-operated front wheel drive that's controlled. There may be some way to disable the FWD clutches.
This is exactly what I’m trying to do. The program for BMW’s was xDelete and you could custom set the clutch values. Most of those clutch’s can never fully disengage so there’s always a 1% or fraction of a percent of power going to it but it’s small enough you’ll never feel a difference between true rear.
I know some cars have a fuse that’s pull-able to disable them as well and lock the car into rwd

I just wanna find an “easy” way to do it before I go doing sonthing crazy