Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rusty Half Shafts on 5 Day Old New 2024 ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
There is that nice even light orange surface rust that one might expect after awhile and then there is that rust with medium deep pits that you see on your 5 day old new ST that makes the Service techs eyes roll. This car had 11 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. Ford Service stated that this was not normal to see on a new car and that they will be replacing these........ if the parts are available. In any case, they are working on how to approach resolving this.

1) it "appears" that there is uneven corrosion protection that was applied to these, although I'm not even sure if the 2024's even have any corrosion protection on this part as not all models shafts in previous years have corrosion protection.
2) Does anyone know what the part number should be for a 2024 ST/Explorer shaft/s? I read N1M7-3A428-AA on these. My assumption is that they would be similar from 2020 to present with perhaps slight variation?

I used to work in the auto manufacturing industry and sent these photos to some former co-workers. Their hypothesis is as follows:
1) the car was manufactured at quarter end, which I confirmed it was. This is "make it happen, and hit production targets" time, huge pressure to make it happen and if units get pushed off to service down the road then so be it.
2) the line was probably about to starve or starving (meaning parts weren't catching up to production velocity)
3) some dude and/or manager found a parts rack of shafts sitting outside somewhere and said "hey, I found some, let's use these."
4) meanwhile, this traveled down the line while folks stared at this mess while they assembled the rest of the car, quietly using that inner voice "...not my problem, not my problem."
5) for added bonus someone might have gone out to the MRB cage (Material Review Board) and saved some shafts from the scrap yard to keep the line moving.

This didn't just happen in "transport".
1709160373967.jpeg
1709160346407.jpeg

1709160305339.png
1709162636164.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Or. They are 23s that sat on the lot in Chicago and now are 24s.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Geez people complain about the most insignificant shit. This is WAY beyond nothing to worry about. Even if they did replace them for no reason the new ones will look just like it in a few months…they’re uncoated steel.
Find something that actually matters to waste the dealers time with.
And hint…the back ones probably look just like the front ones…might as well overreact about those too.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Had the same prob on my 21 F150….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
Thread Starter #5
Geez people complain about the most insignificant shit. This is WAY beyond nothing to worry about. Even if they did replace them for no reason the new ones will look just like it in a few months…they’re uncoated steel.
And hint…the back ones probably look just like the front ones…might as well overreact about those too.
1) No, the back ones don't look like the front ones.
2) Low rent expectations don't drive innovation, nor excellence. We all want Ford to survive and thrive and to compete against the best you have deliver cars like the best. ...this doesn't cut it even by Ford standards.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Bullshit…you’re crying about something that affects literally every one of these cars…ST or not. You griping about it isn’t gonna make Ford start coating the axles that have had zero failures because of a little surface rust.
There’s always a few that just join these groups to complain about every little thing…you’re just the latest in a long line.

Dspyv

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Bullshit…you’re crying about something that affects literally every one of these cars…ST or not. You griping about it isn’t gonna make Ford start coating the axles that have had zero failures because of a little surface rust.
There’s always a few that just join these groups to complain about every little thing…you’re just the latest in a long line.
I love it when babies like you get on forums and complain about complainers. Please continue to dilute the forum more, please, please, pleeeease…

Dspyv

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
gotta love the complainers who complain about people complaining… oh gosh what insignificant shat.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
gotta love the complainers who complain about people complaining… oh gosh what insignificant shat.
Some people need a reality check…and crying about a cv shaft that’s gonna rust no matter what falls under that. I refuse to coddle bullshit like that.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
Thread Starter #10
Again, low rent expectations that do nothing to help Ford. It was Ford Service who told me that this was "not normal" and requested that I leave the car with them for them to "replace" the parts. Why are you so utterly defensive over Ford calling out an issue on their own car and delivery experience? No one at Ford is babbling on about this being ok, quite the opposite. Ford knows that they are in a competitive landscape and any and all customer feedback is welcome as it should be with any serious car manufacturer. My 8th Ford and the 3rd that I've purchased in the last 24 months and this issue will be resolved. ...after all we are car owners, not cult members.

Dspyv

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Some people need a reality check…and crying about a cv shaft that’s gonna rust no matter what falls under that. I refuse to coddle bullshit like that.
Ok internet bully. Hope your posts made you feel better, I hope you got it all out.

“ I refuse to coddle bullshit like that” is the most hilarious statement I’ve seen on this forum. Man you are passionate!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Looks like condensation from prolonged exposure (storage) in a high humidity environment, the darker rust spots are where the condensation formed water drops. I want to buy a 2024 F150 but its reported that they are being stored in such a manner at a race track. I went out and checked my 23ST, I see the same spots just not as many.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok internet bully. Hope your posts made you feel better, I hope you got it all out.

“ I refuse to coddle bullshit like that” is the most hilarious statement I’ve seen on this forum. Man you are passionate!
There’s an ignore button here…you can always use it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Again, low rent expectations that do nothing to help Ford. It was Ford Service who told me that this was "not normal" and requested that I leave the car with them for them to "replace" the parts. Why are you so utterly defensive over Ford calling out an issue on their own car and delivery experience? No one at Ford is babbling on about this being ok, quite the opposite. Ford knows that they are in a competitive landscape and any and all customer feedback is welcome as it should be with any serious car manufacturer. My 8th Ford and the 3rd that I've purchased in the last 24 months and this issue will be resolved. ...after all we are car owners, not cult members.
Report back in a couple of months when the new ones look just like those.
Hell I replaced both of my front shafts 3 months ago with brand new shiny ones out of the plastic…they’re both covered in surface rust now.
Your dealer probably just wants to shut you up…if they even actually swap them at all.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like condensation from prolonged exposure (storage) in a high humidity environment, the darker rust spots are where the condensation formed water drops. I want to buy a 2024 F150 but its reported that they are being stored in such a manner at a race track. I went out and checked my 23ST, I see the same spots just not as many.
Every single new Explorer on the planet has this same rust…without fail. This guy trying to convince people it’s a problem is laughable.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Every single new Explorer on the planet has this same rust…without fail. This guy trying to convince people it’s a problem is laughable.
Agreed, unless there is deep pitting and/or metal flaking off, best not to take it in, service calls sometimes cause more harm than good.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I can tell you 2020 ST axles did not come with "corrosion protection". And no, the part number will not be the same as MY2020. For one, the axles on MY2020 and early MY2021 were flawed and tearing open left and right at the bellows clamp. The replacements had a different bellows design and had different part #s. Two, the front axle disconnect actuator was replaced with an intermediate shaft sometime MY2022...the drivers side axle will not be like the earlier models. Lastly, MY2024 are unlikely to be cobbled together from misc old parts because mechanically, MY2025 are likely mostly unchanged.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Polos-lewa-przod-Ford-Explorer-4x4-2020.jpeg
Here is a N1M7-3A428-AA on a newer Explorer connected to the new version intermediate shaft. Note that the inboard end of the halfshalf is female and the intermediate shaft has the splined male end. That is completely opposite of a 2020 halfshaft. Also note that this is likely a MY2023 or MY2024 and it is covered in surface rust.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Last edited: