Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rusting Thermal Tips

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Just noticed today that the tips of my Thermal exhaust are starting to rust, primarily where the brand name is etched into the tips though there are some small spots of rust on the rolled tips.

Has this happened to anyone else's Thermal exhaust tips? The system has only been installed for about 2 months so this is disappointing to say the least. 1000004120.jpg 1000004124.jpg 1000004122.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Can't tell you how to stop it other than to use a protective coating or sealant on the pipes. That said, a quality metal polish and a soft cloth will take it off with ease at this stage, #0000 steel wool if you have to.

The steel wool can leave for lack of a better description, slight grain scratching. If you let it go, it gets worse and can be tough to remove. Remove it, coat it, and keep an eye on it. Road salt and winter weather are just bad news.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Can't tell you how to stop it other than to use a protective coating or sealant on the pipes. That said, a quality metal polish and a soft cloth will take it off with ease at this stage, #0000 steel wool if you have to.

The steel wool can leave for lack of a better description, slight grain scratching. If you let it go, it gets worse and can be tough to remove. Remove it, coat it, and keep an eye on it. Road salt and winter weather are just bad news.
Yeah, ordered some metal polish last night. Just surprised to see it happen so quickly...

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Pretty weak quality.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Update: Thermal got back to me saying this is normal surface rust and will clean off with soap and water...

...but it didn't. I'm going to keep pushing on this as the tips of an almost $1700 exhaust should not start rusting in under 2 months.

Reactions
I have had my Thermal installed for over 2 years and have not had any rusting. I do live in south FL so there is no winter weather. Interestingly I do not have the logo on the top of the tips but have the Thermal symbol on the outside left and right tip. No rusting there either.