Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Round #2 - '23 ST replaces '20 ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not a new member or a new owner. I had a '20 Star White ST as a company vehicle at my last job but had to give it back when I quit.

Now I am the proud owner of a '23 Star White ST! Love these cars, had to get another one.

Explorer Day 1.jpg

Immediate plan is for WeatherTech floor mats, H&R Springs, window tint, remove front plate, tint the reverse lights and a Thermal 2.5" cat back system.

I like the interior changes of the '23 versus the '20. I don't remember as much gloss black in my old one as this one has but I like it. Also got the full bench in the back versus the captains seats. They are growing on me. Especially since they removed the little console between the buckets. Other than that, not much is different. But I am most bummed about that rear sensor system that could open the rear hatch with your foot. I used that all the time! Can that be adapted the new models?

I have to say the coolest thing on this new one versus the old one is the silhouette ST in the windshield:

Explorer Windshield Silouette.jpg

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Welcome! Great color choice

Reactions
I recently upgraded also. 20 Iconic Silver to 23 Carbonized Grey with same package. Great car but disappointed in some of the deletions.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I do love that windshield. And of course I love any ST no matter the options. I am in a colder climate so I appreciate my 2020 windshield with wiper defrost element and we really like our massaging seats. Also, I said I would never have a white vehicle, but that all changed when the ST came out.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Not a new member or a new owner. I had a '20 Star White ST as a company vehicle at my last job but had to give it back when I quit.

Now I am the proud owner of a '23 Star White ST! Love these cars, had to get another one.

View attachment 16860

Immediate plan is for WeatherTech floor mats, H&R Springs, window tint, remove front plate, tint the reverse lights and a Thermal 2.5" cat back system.

I like the interior changes of the '23 versus the '20. I don't remember as much gloss black in my old one as this one has but I like it. Also got the full bench in the back versus the captains seats. They are growing on me. Especially since they removed the little console between the buckets. Other than that, not much is different. But I am most bummed about that rear sensor system that could open the rear hatch with your foot. I used that all the time! Can that be adapted the new models?

I have to say the coolest thing on this new one versus the old one is the silhouette ST in the windshield:

View attachment 16861
Welcome back to the ST world and forum.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I'm glad I got a 21. My wife would absolutely kill me if I traded up and lost the massage seats. Every time she gets in my ST she turns them on, even if we are going 2 minutes down the road. Maybe by 24 they will bring them back if all the supply issues are resolved by then.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I do love that windshield. And of course I love any ST no matter the options. I am in a colder climate so I appreciate my 2020 windshield with wiper defrost element and we really like our massaging seats. Also, I said I would never have a white vehicle, but that all changed when the ST came out.
I keep finding more and more things removed from the later year models. I did not know the massage seats were one of them. So thanks! I never used them but my wife enjoyed them on long drives. Don't the older models also have lumbar adjustment in three spots up the back of the seat? My new one is just the lower spot.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

View attachment 16860

View attachment 16861
Congrats on your new ST.

GTchick

Reactions
I recently upgraded also. 20 Iconic Silver to 23 Carbonized Grey with same package. Great car but disappointed in some of the deletions.
Not that I'm thinking of trading for a new model, but what were the deletions? I see someone mentions the massage seats....I love mine, lol.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
As far as I know, the seats are one of the big ones. No massage feature and only a lower lumbar adjustment. What I know of besides that:

- Steering wheel is definitely wrapped in something different. I don't even know if the '20 wheel was leather but this one definitely isn't.
- One odd thing - on my climate controls there is no read out for the temp anymore. You rely completely on the screen above.
- All the trim on the interior is gloss now instead of matte finish
- There is now a cool ST silhouette on the windshield (see above)
- The wave sensor feature for the rear hatch is no longer available
- No console between the rear buckets anymore

Thats what I know. Others may be able to add to this.

GTchick

Reactions
As far as I know, the seats are one of the big ones. No massage feature and only a lower lumbar adjustment. What I know of besides that:

- Steering wheel is definitely wrapped in something different. I don't even know if the '20 wheel was leather but this one definitely isn't.
- One odd thing - on my climate controls there is no read out for the temp anymore. You rely completely on the screen above.
- All the trim on the interior is gloss now instead of matte finish
- There is now a cool ST silhouette on the windshield (see above)
- The wave sensor feature for the rear hatch is no longer available
- No console between the rear buckets anymore

Thats what I know. Others may be able to add to this.
Thanks! Interesting about the wave sensor being deleted. Mine has the dreaded issues with opening when I lock the back door, so I guess rather than address it, they just delete it! lol