Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rooftop Tents

SkyPimp

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just curious if anyone has mounted a rooftop tent on top of their Explorer ST?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Just curious if anyone has mounted a rooftop tent on top of their Explorer ST?
If you have a moonroof then you can’t because of the weight capacity. I wouldn’t imagine that you could do it without a moonroof either.

Reactions
I was wondering how this would work on any vehicle as I am sure they would all have a weight limit much less than two adults (okay less than one adult if I am the example), plus the tent. But generally those weight limits would be for regular driving conditions, not when parked. It will be interesting to see how much the system can take before collapse. And maybe keep the rocking to a minimum too. ;o)

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I actually looked into this as well. Like '2020FordRaptor' said, the weight capacity is grossly underwhelming and not going to be worth it for a tent and let alone one person. Better off going with old fashioned tent on the ground or pulling a pop-up or something that fits your needs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Pack all your junk on roof, lay all seats down. Put a mattress pad or something in the back and viola!
Sleeps 2 and no eatting beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senyamnesi

Active Duty U.S. Marine
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Range500h
I haven't personally mounted a rooftop tent on an Explorer ST, but I've seen some cool setups online like these overlanding rooftop tents. It can be a game-changer for camping trips! Make sure to check the weight capacity of your roof rack and follow safety guidelines, though. Happy adventuring!

Last edited: