Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Roof rack delete

Reactions
Hello
Does anyone have any detailed description or picture information on how to remove the roof rack from the ST?
Any help would be appreciated!

Reactions
Probably similar to this

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply..

The roof rack on the ST is quite different than the '18 Explorer, don't want to damage anything

Reactions
Thank you very much for your reply..

The roof rack on the ST is quite different than the '18 Explorer, don't want to damage anything
I haven't seen any instructions yet, someone is bound to remove theirs and post a video on youtube.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
So I found out if you want to remove the roof rack you have to drop the inside headliner to get to the six nuts that hold it attached to the roof. Unbelievable

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Was it a pain in the ass?
Not too bad, About two hours... Very carefully dropped each side of the inside headliner to get to the nuts that secure the rack to the roof. Patience is a must not to damage the liner... Make sure you have the right tools...

Reactions
Not too bad, About two hours... Very carefully dropped each side of the inside headliner to get to the nuts that secure the rack to the roof. Patience is a must not to damage the liner... Make sure you have the right tools...
What did you do to stop the holes from leaking? :unsure:

Reactions
Factory Insert Part #'s:
Part Number Part Name Price
LB5Z-7850462-AARoof Molding
LB5Z-7850463-AARoof Molding
$207.21 ea
Source: Levittown Ford Commercial Parts Sales ............ Benny is the contact. IMG_20200517_184450.jpg IMG_20200517_184407.jpg
Grand kids play room ............. Can you tell ? :rolleyes: These will be installed tomorrow at the N TX LEA skunk works.

Reactions
Front of the trim inserts ............
IMG_20200517_184517.jpg

Reactions
And when you have a water leak and the mothership rejects the claim ?

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
And when you have a water leak and the mothership rejects the claim ?
Understandable and valid concern!
With do diligence, clean workmanship and 40 years in the construction industry, I am VERY confident that no leakage will ever occur

Reactions
We have a miscommunication. Ford does not, will not give a rats a** how good a job you did. Their point will be that you did not install the correct replacement parts. IE: The inserts used on the PIU or, the XLT with the roof rail delete box checked off. If you never have an issue, you're gold. If it fails, you are up the creek. This is a darn near $60k vehicle. Why jury rig it ?

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
You
We have a miscommunication. Ford does not, will not give a rats a** how good a job you did. Their point will be that you did not install the correct replacement parts. IE: The inserts used on the PIU or, the XLT with the roof rail delete box checked off. If you never have an issue, you're gold. If it fails, you are up the creek. This is a darn near $60k vehicle. Why jury rig it ?
You are absolutely correct sir...
We do have a miscommunication...
As I have stated previously, I am 100% confident in my "jury rigging" non OEM Ford parts to achieve the same result you will have. Having confidence in my workmanship greatly out ways any worries about not being "covered" by Ford. Don't see any reason to line Ford's pockets any more than I have to, to achieve a simple non-mechanical mod..
That's just my take on it of course....