Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Roof rack cross bars?

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Has anyone bought cross bars other than the Ford setup? Which brand did you go with? Pro's / Con's?

rxrep

Reactions
Amazon and some vinyl wrap, because cross bars started as silver and I wanted black. Total cost @$100. 20200811_163224.jpg 20200811_163231.jpg 20200811_163238.jpg 20200811_163250.jpg

rxrep

Reactions
Disclaimer - The fairing was from my old rack and the ST Decal on it was $15 online.
Pros- Cheap and functional. Handled roof box for family vacation at high speed 1000 miles.
Cons- Not factory or 'name' brand. Blends well into rails for what it is, though.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have and recommend the Ford crossbars. It doesn't add height and it does not call attention to itself. Con: it no longer locks into place but tightens up and is held in place by friction.

Reactions
Used my ford points to buy the Ford crossbars. They seem descent.

IndyFEST

Reactions
Looking for cross bars and saw several eBay listings for 16-19MY Explorer OEM cross bars stating that it will fit 2020 Explorers. Does anyone know if this is true. eBay fitment check also states they fit my 20 Explorer. They’re about 40-50% lower in price compared to 2020 versions so peaked my interest. I appreciate any insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
pretty sure 2019 and older crossbars are NOT compatible with 2020.

Dallas ST

Reactions
Looking for cross bars and saw several eBay listings for 16-19MY Explorer OEM cross bars stating that it will fit 2020 Explorers. Does anyone know if this is true. eBay fitment check also states they fit my 20 Explorer. They’re about 40-50% lower in price compared to 2020 versions so peaked my interest. I appreciate any insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Im curious about this too....

robbcwz

Reactions
I have and recommend the Ford crossbars. It doesn't add height and it does not call attention to itself. Con: it no longer locks into place but tightens up and is held in place by friction.

Any issues with wind noise?

Reactions
Any issues with wind noise?
I installed the Ford crossbars and have had no issues. I do have current problem with wind noise at rear window. Ford tech said it was the crossbars. We removed them and tested and crossbars are not causing any wind noise issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I installed the Ford crossbars and have had no issues. I do have current problem with wind noise at rear window. Ford tech said it was the crossbars. We removed them and tested and crossbars are not causing any wind noise issues.
what brand-name cargo boxes are compatible with the Ford crossbars?

Reactions
I have a Yakima box and have no issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Cool beans. Are the Ford Crossbars relatively quiet/aerodynamic? I’m having a hard time justifying $700 for an aero set from Thule or Yakima. Research says Yakima crossbars are the most silent compared to Thule.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a Yakima box and have no issues.
Me too. Yakima Skybox 16.

The Ford Crossbars are quiet. I do not notice any wind noise from above.

Reactions
Cool beans. Are the Ford Crossbars relatively quiet/aerodynamic? I’m having a hard time justifying $700 for an aero set from Thule or Yakima. Research says Yakima crossbars are the most silent compared to Thule.
No noise from factory bars.

Greyghost

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I may be asking an obvious question. A yakima skybox will attach and be safe with Ford factory crossbars, right? As I understand it the only drawback to OEM instead of aftermarket is the weight limits. Ford has a 75lb restriction (with moonroof), so if I do not plan to load more than 75lbs I should be good?

Reactions
I put lighter stuff in box. Couple large duffels.
shoes etc. I would stick with Fords recommendations

I can send measurements if that helps.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The best cross bars are the factory optional ones on my older Explorers. They both can adjusted along the full length of the roof without tools. They are low profile and sit no higher than the side rails so I leave them on full time. The dark object at the rear is a small roof mount antenna and not part of the bars.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I may be asking an obvious question. A yakima skybox will attach and be safe with Ford factory crossbars, right? As I understand it the only drawback to OEM instead of aftermarket is the weight limits. Ford has a 75lb restriction (with moonroof), so if I do not plan to load more than 75lbs I should be good?
I'd rethink that. Most of us are ignoring the Ford limits but are driving cautiously knowing the rollover risk is greater. I think my Skybox weighs 47lbs? It's almost a given that I'm going to exceed 75lb. i for sure drive cautiously but have to remind my wife because it's not something she thinks about.

I too put heavy things in the trunk and try to put lighter things up top. But anyone who's travelled by air knows even clothes weigh a ton.

Explorer ST Posts