Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rolling backward holding brake ?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but it doesn't make any mechanical sense at all. Your resume isn't at issue- either your credibility or that of the Ford tech is. If you hadn't immediately posted in the other thread about the rear differential failure that your four bolt (with no tuning) had become so magically disengaged that the rear brakes wouldn't work (even in that case, the front brakes would have). It sounds suspect and beyond belief.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I just don't see why you posted in the "rear axle bolt failure" thread. Especially since you also posted "Will circle back when I have the full list in print but I remember front driver side A frame an axle and diff case I think." None of those parts are consistent with damage to the rear differential and your OP on this thread. So, I'll just suspend judgment for now until you post up the Ford diagnostics and part list.

Last edited:
Reactions
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but it doesn't make any mechanical sense at all. Your resume isn't at issue- either your credibility or that of the Ford tech is. If you hadn't immediately posted in the other thread about the rear differential failure that your four bolt (with no tuning) had become so magically disengaged that the rear brakes wouldn't work (even in that case, the front brakes would have). It sounds suspect and beyond belief.
I am thinking they are going to find multiple issues with the ST.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Really? I'm not "bullshitting" anyone. I came here as an owner, and advocate of the ST. I do have an issue, and yeah - I did post in another forum. When they said "this" about the fracture, I posted here. Sorry to ruffle your feathers. I'm having two issues ... 1) the P to R ... and 2) a "hard shift" while driving. I'm not actively driving the car either. It's in the shop while they figure this out, and I'm in a GMC rental without my beloved ST. I also flew F-14's and F-16's in the Navy and Air Force and am not abusing my ride. So cut me / the tech some slack.
Completely unrelated but I am extremely jealous of your flight history. I am obsessed with jets lol. My whole YouTube is nearly all jet clips. Sorry no help for your issues but yeah.

OP
jefferylay

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #25

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I just don't see why you posted in the "rear axle bolt failure" thread. Especially since you also posted "Will circle back when I have the full list in print but I remember front driver side A frame an axle and diff case I think." None of those parts are consistent with damage to the rear differential and your OP on this thread. So, I'll just suspend judgment for now until you post up the Ford diagnostics and part list.
I only posted because I was seeking to see if others were seeing the same issues. They're trying their hardest to figure it out and feel there's some relationship with the rear issue. They're saying they're changing parts out in the rear to be sure. I'll find out more when I can. Resume comment was just to say neither I nor the tech are idiots are lying or whatever. I'm open minded and always welcome to feedback. Any and all help is welcome. Think that's the point of the forum.

No?

OP
jefferylay

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
Completely unrelated but I am extremely jealous of your flight history. I am obsessed with jets lol. My whole YouTube is nearly all jet clips. Sorry no help for your issues but yeah.
Nice! It was fun. Fly Navy !!

Reactions
Ooook, so yes this issue is real, and can’t believe Ford hasn’t addressed it in the form of a recall. I have heard of more than a few people complain of this Happening on this forum. It was first brought to my attention by my wife, who primarily drives our 2020 Platinum. I have experienced to the extent of it just moving backward maybe an inch or two, with my foot firmly on the brake. On one occasion my wife claims she almost backed over a co worker who was standing a good ways back behind the truck. Freaked my wife out pretty good, said she had to let off the brake pedal completely and then stand on the pedal to get it to stop.
As a Ford Tech, I did come upon this special service message that seems to have cured the issue on my vehicle. I also performed it on a ST at my dealership when a salesman complained on the same thing happening, the ABS module needs to be reflashed, there is also a software update for the gearshift module that I would also recommend doing.

Attachments

OP
jefferylay

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
Ooook, so yes this issue is real, and can’t believe Ford hasn’t addressed it in the form of a recall. I have heard of more than a few people complain of this Happening on this forum. It was first brought to my attention by my wife, who primarily drives our 2020 Platinum. I have experienced to the extent of it just moving backward maybe an inch or two, with my foot firmly on the brake. On one occasion my wife claims she almost backed over a co worker who was standing a good ways back behind the truck. Freaked my wife out pretty good, said she had to let off the brake pedal completely and then stand on the pedal to get it to stop.
As a Ford Tech, I did come upon this special service message that seems to have cured the issue on my vehicle. I also performed it on a ST at my dealership when a salesman complained on the same thing happening, the ABS module needs to be reflashed, there is also a software update for the gearshift module that I would also recommend doing.
OMG - thank you so much! Exactly. Have to lift foot and then stomp on the brake to stop. I’ll be sure to have them follow your bulletin. I have another related and or unrelated issue of a hard click and lurch when going from P to R they’re addressing. They thought this was part of that as well. I’ll show this to them and have these flashed as well. Tysm!

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
OMG - thank you so much! Exactly. Have to lift foot and then stomp on the brake to stop. I’ll be sure to have them follow your bulletin. I have another related and or unrelated issue of a hard click and lurch when going from P to R they’re addressing. They thought this was part of that as well. I’ll show this to them and have these flashed as well. Tysm!
I just bought a 2020 platinum and the wife (primary driver) has tried to explain an odd and intermittent braking issue that sounds like this. Any updates after bringing up this bulletin?

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Giving a quick update to my above question. I have access to FDRS and can update modules myself so I updated my ABS module per the above SSM 49011. So far so good after 2 days or so with no rolling back. I will keep my eye on it to see if it is really fixed.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
That is a scary issue, even if just a couple inches when you're pushing on brake. Hopefully they resolve. The click/lurch you're talking about from P to R I would be curious about. Only now noticed that when I was programming my mirror tilt. Didn't think much of it unless it's going to be a problem later down the road. Curious to see what they say. Good luck with the repairs.

OP
jefferylay

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
Thanks so much. Past 120 days now without my ride, waiting on repair now that the part is finally in. This brake issue will be addressed along with it as well. I'll keep you / everyone posted. Yours, Jeff

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm intermittently experiencing the same issue when shifting from P to R - vehicle has been on slight incline (my driveway) to completely flat parking lots. I always let the vehicle warm up prior to putting it in gear - there are no warning lights on the dash when it happens and the only way to get the vehicle to stop is to release the brake pedal completely and then press hard to stop the rolling vehicle. I've had two near collisions - it's been to the dealer and they reflashed the ABS module and it stopped for a couple of months but now it's back again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Hey I know this is a bit of a dead thread, but I purchased a used explorer st a few months ago and this happened to me a few times. This morning the car rolled back 2ft, engaged the brakes and released them then did it again 2 more times. It moved probably 6ft total. Fortunately I found this thread and will take it in tomorrow with the tsb for them to reference. I find it so strange the previous owners wouldn't have dealt with this.