Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removing second row seats

Reactions
Do you remember the warning you received and did it affect any other systems? I’m asking because I found out one of the modules I need to override the errors is back ordered so I thought I’d remove the module and seatbelt sensor from the seat itself and hook those back in to complete the circuit for zero bells and whistles going off BUT if the errors are insignificant and all I have to do is press the OK button on the steering wheel then I could live with that but if it disables airbags that might be a problem.
I'll have to check tonight when i get home. I don't remember any airbag lights being on, I think it is just a seatbelt message but I've had my seats out so long at this point it's just automatic at this point for me to press the button as soon as I start it.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I'll have to check tonight when i get home. I don't remember any airbag lights being on, I think it is just a
seatbelt message but I've had my seats out so long at this point it's just automatic at this point for me to press the button as soon as I start it.
that is encouraging actually. I await your reply and thank you.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
ThaNk you so much! I do see the airbag light is on. My next task is to see if this malfunction affects the whole system. (See pic) I really appreciate the time you took in helping me. IMG_1195.png

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I did find this … IMG_1196.jpeg

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
It took longer than I had anticipated including waiting for parts
I did remove all three seats built an aluminum frame to support a floor and front section to prevent dogs going into the front seat area and fitted a Setina cargo barrier and door protectors.
I had to purchase two modules and seat belt anchor sensors which I reconnected and installed under the false floor.
That is the only way to avoid fault codes and still have fully functioning airbag system etc
so you’ve help me resolve a few issues.. One module is on back order and the other sensor they can order so I’m thinking I’ll just use the modules from my seat and plug those back in after I remove the seat. So tonight I go to remove one of the captains chairs (2021 Explorer ST) and there are no bolts on the seat track. So I’m thinking maybe they are under the plastic frame the track runs in…I removed the little bolt and the plastic cap wiggles but doesn’t pop out . .. I can’t get that off without breaking a plastic piece. So why isn’t there a video on how to do this? And why is this so freakin difficult to do? So I’m asking for your help again…where are the bolts because there are none along the track …unless they just forgot to put them in! which I can’t imagine … where do I access the seat bolts? Thank you in advance.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Okay so I did a search for Police interceptor 2021 Ford explorer st remove second row captain seat and by golly found how to remove the seats. I’d film it but I don’t even know if I can pull that off…. Bolts located at the front of the seat below the rail and at the back inside the plastic cover ..pop off all four cover pieces and there’s the bolts! Now to find a socket. Thanks for all your help guys!

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thank you for all your help!!

mrcfcleo

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer 2022 ST-Line
ThaNk you so much! I do see the airbag light is on. My next task is to see if this malfunction affects the whole system. (See pic) I really appreciate the time you took in helping me. View attachment 18930
This set of forum posts has been so helpful. Trying to remove one of the seats for a road trip to make some more space. I did get the airbag warning light that you mentioned after removing the chair. Given this is for one road trip, I do not plan to buy a module to avoid the alert if possible. Were you able to confirm if the airbags would function once one of the rear seats is removed? Is there anyway to make the airbag error go away without buying a specific piece?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer CLT
Can you provide further detail to what each part number is and what they’re for respectively? Wife just bought a 2020 xlt with second row Capt chairs and we took the driver side out to make it easier for the dogs to get in/out but now the error messages for restraint module is going off and I’d like to just find the parts numbers and try to plug them back in hoping the alerts clear.

The parts number on the two modules were respectively
LU5T-14F042-AK PFSM
and
JU5T-14C724-BA
The two complete wiring harnesses labels read

FAWBBs/n 000083 and M1MT-14B687 BDA
I don’t have the details re the seat belt anchor sensors as I removed my own from the seats as the dealer had back orders on this and no due date
I would have ordered them had they been available as they were $100 Canadian or so and it was a pain to have to remove them from the seats as will be the same going back should I decide to sell the car
I would mention that my dealer could not find these parts despite being labeled on the modules and harnesses and instead identified purely by my VIN
Hope this helps

Explorer ST Posts