Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removing second row seats

KenJ

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
We have two Cane Corso babies and would like to remove the second row seats to accommodate them and fit a rear cargo barrier we never have rear seat passengers anyway) and fabricate a “ floor” for them to be able to stand up and also spread out on.Before trying to unbolt and remove the seats, I first disconnected one of the modules under the seat which then showed a fault and I believe switched off the airbags.
Has anyone removed the seats completely and then removed the modules from the seat then plugged back in to avoid fault codes or loss of airbags etc
Any suggestions welcomed

Reactions
I took both rear captains out for a month or two last fall. Once you put them back in and plug them in the faults go away.

*edit - one surprising consequence of removing the rear captains was that I was no longer able to move the 3rd row, it was stuck in whatever position it was left in before removing the 2nd row, so keep that in mind before you take the second row out.

OP
K

KenJ

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Appreciate that
My intent is to remove and keep seats out but somehow removing the modules from under the seat, plugging them in and putting under the “ false” floor I am adding so that no fault codes show

Phrede

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I came here looking for this. I have the same reason for removing the rear seats. (Neo and a CC). Any progress?

OP
K

KenJ

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I plan to pull the seats out one by one next week and see what is involved in removing the module from the seat
I spoke with a local police utility vehicle installer who mentioned that on some vehicles he worked on he removed the module from each seat keeping them plugged into the harness and “ buried them under the floor of the prisoner cage
Will post my progress

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I plan to pull the seats out one by one next week and see what is involved in removing the module from the seat
I spoke with a local police utility vehicle installer who mentioned that on some vehicles he worked on he removed the module from each seat keeping them plugged into the harness and “ buried them under the floor of the prisoner cage
Will post my progress
It’s been a few months - what has been the progress? Did you remove the seats and how did you resolve error issues? Do you have a video of it? I’m preparing to remove just one seat for car camping which will really open up my space.

KJE

Reactions
It took longer than I had anticipated including waiting for parts
I did remove all three seats built an aluminum frame to support a floor and front section to prevent dogs going into the front seat area and fitted a Setina cargo barrier and door protectors.
I had to purchase two modules and seat belt anchor sensors which I reconnected and installed under the false floor.
That is the only way to avoid fault codes and still have fully functioning airbag system etc

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
It took longer than I had anticipated including waiting for parts
I did remove all three seats built an aluminum frame to support a floor and front section to prevent dogs going into the front seat area and fitted a Setina cargo barrier and door protectors.
I had to purchase two modules and seat belt anchor sensors which I reconnected and installed under the false floor.
That is the only way to avoid fault codes and still have fully functioning airbag system etc
If you remember what we’re the modules and where did you purchase them and the belt anchor sensors? Do you have links? OEM?

KJE

Reactions
They were the modules under both outer seats and all three seat belt anchor sensors together with the two plug and play harnesses and all where OEM purchased from the local Ford dealer

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thank you … I'm on a mission now - your information gives me a head start since I begin travel in September…much appreciated.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
They were the modules under both outer seats and all three seat belt anchor sensors together with the two plug and play harnesses and all where OEM purchased from the local Ford dealer
so I’ve gone to my ford dealership and they can’t find anything about the modules after doing some research. If you have the part numbers for the module and seatbelt anchors will you share please. Thank you.

KJE

Reactions
The parts number on the two modules were respectively
LU5T-14F042-AK PFSM
and
JU5T-14C724-BA
The two complete wiring harnesses labels read

FAWBBs/n 000083 and M1MT-14B687 BDA
I don’t have the details re the seat belt anchor sensors as I removed my own from the seats as the dealer had back orders on this and no due date
I would have ordered them had they been available as they were $100 Canadian or so and it was a pain to have to remove them from the seats as will be the same going back should I decide to sell the car
I would mention that my dealer could not find these parts despite being labeled on the modules and harnesses and instead identified purely by my VIN
Hope this helps

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thank you so much…this will help these guys and me! The service manager said they modify and take out seats for cop cars so why they couldn’t do it for me wasnt an issue but finding the right parts obviously was. Appreciated!

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Well it’s been a couple of weeks and my Ford dealership still can’t figure this out even provided the part numbers you gave me and I really don’t understand why they can’t figure this out .. maybe they just want me to go away. Lol! I’ve spoken to them several times and walk away thinking they will figure out this time. I even suggested taking the sensors and module off the seat itself too - last we spoke “we’ll get back to you” … I hate to do this myself because I fear breaking something on the seat .. zero videos on YouTube on how to do this. thanks for all your help - I guess I need to just get in there and do this or not do this and that is the question.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I took both rear captains out for a month or two last fall. Once you put them back in and plug them in the faults go away.

*edit - one surprising consequence of removing the rear captains was that I was no longer able to move the 3rd row, it was stuck in whatever position it was left in before removing the 2nd row, so keep that in mind before you take the second row out.
so you removed your seats but didn’t this disable your air bags or cause bells to ding?

KJE

Reactions
Well it’s been a couple of weeks and my Ford dealership still can’t figure this out even provided the part numbers you gave me and I really don’t understand why they can’t figure this out .. maybe they just want me to go away. Lol! I’ve spoken to them several times and walk away thinking they will figure out this time. I even suggested taking the sensors and module off the seat itself too - last we spoke “we’ll get back to you” … I hate to do this myself because I fear breaking something on the seat .. zero videos on YouTube on how to do this. thanks for all your help - I guess I need to just get in there and do this or not do this and that is the question.
I will have a look for the packing boxes the modules and harnesses came in and snap some shots and post them for you
Your dealership appear to be ignorant or less than helpful, most likely a combination of both

OP
K

KenJ

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Here you go the two modules and two harnesses. In addition you will need the three seat belt anchors/sensors . As mentioned previously, if these had not been on back order I would have ordered them instead of having to remove them from all three seats which was a pain, to be repeated should I decide to put the seats back in.
I have included a few shots of the frame and after completion. I use Setina products on all of my other vehicles and fitted widened OEM steel wheels powder coated with 285/60/18 Michelins on the Explorer which fills the wheel wells and gives the vehicle a wider and more aggressive stance. It is a personal choice but I have never liked the look of large diameter rims with very little sidewall on the tire and having a wider and smaller diameter rim allows for a wider tire with more sidewall which gives a more comfortable ride.

Attachments

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I will have a look for the packing boxes the modules and harnesses came in and snap some shots and post them for you
Your dealership appear to be ignorant or less than helpful, most likely a combination of both
well that would be wonderful (!!!) then I will just order them and tackle this job myself with your help. Appreciated very much…

Reactions
so you removed your seats but didn’t this disable your air bags or cause bells to ding?

It causes a warning to come up at every startup and I have to press a button to make the message go away.

Maryj

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Do you remember the warning you received and did it affect any other systems? I’m asking because I found out one of the modules I need to override the errors is back ordered so I thought I’d remove the module and seatbelt sensor from the seat itself and hook those back in to complete the circuit for zero bells and whistles going off BUT if the errors are insignificant and all I have to do is press the OK button on the steering wheel then I could live with that but if it disables airbags that might be a problem.