Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removed features from 2022

Reactions
Really? You’ve seen no difference between the 2020s and 2021s? Lol much less issues, certainly less frequency of issues with the 21s. I expect that to continue with the 22s. For example I would imagine the camera recall is already fixed on 22s.

It’s not a guarantee, but it’s completely reasonable to think that.

people always say to avoid first generation of new cars. The Ford Explorer 6th gen is a prime example of that. I think ford was quick to make improvements though. Even the later build 2020s were improved compared to the early builds.
The only big "issue" I had with mine is the backup camera which was fixed. But that didn't make it any less reliable.... The transmission complaints? Guess what? Still same tranny, still same shitty Ford tranny calibration and will continue for 2022+
Not sure what much more issues it has vs other years?
Most of the complaints were fixed months after it's original released.

There would've been hundreds of threads still active with non stop complaints on 20 models if that would've been true

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only big "issue" I had with mine is the backup camera which was fixed. But that didn't make it any less reliable.... The transmission complaints? Guess what? Still same tranny, still same shitty Ford tranny calibration and will continue for 2022+
Not sure what much more issues it has vs other years?
Most of the complaints were fixed months after it's original released.

There would've been hundreds of threads still active with non stop complaints on 20 models if that would've been true
I follow multiple Facebook ST groups, and have read numerous posts. All I know is many more finicky warnings lights, transmission issues, pieces breaking(front driver seat piece for example), etc with the 2020s. 21s seems to have a lot less issues. Mainly just the camera issue I feel like with the 21s. So again, I think the 22 will continue to be a bit more reliable. They make more subtle changes than you think. Like that damn bolt on the rear. That’s an example of worsening something. But it’s little changes like that we generally don’t notice but results in more reliability.

same thing happened with the 5th gen.

Reactions
I follow multiple Facebook ST groups, and have read numerous posts. All I know is many more finicky warnings lights, transmission issues, pieces breaking(front driver seat piece for example), etc with the 2020s. 21s seems to have a lot less issues. Mainly just the camera issue I feel like with the 21s. So again, I think the 22 will continue to be a bit more reliable. They make more subtle changes than you think. Like that damn bolt on the rear. That’s an example of worsening something. But it’s little changes like that we generally don’t notice but results in more reliability.

same thing happened with the 5th gen.
Hard to say, I picked up the last month build for 2020. Don't have any bad complaints other than typical Ford crap like crappy UI, transmission calibration, fit and finish, etc which are typical Ford "features".

Far as the 5th gen, still had very stupid water pump in engine design in their final year. So there are things that you have to live with as those things won't change. In this case, 6th gens new transmission

F=MA

Reactions
Hell I had enough time to have three 2020's. Puddle light on #2 fell out and they replaced while I waited. Ford has been very, very kind to me. I wasn't too excited seeing the gloss black trim everywhere in the 2021 interior which was the start of these changes. But unless someone t-bones me I am not looking to start modifying another one of these from scratch.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
My 22 was a tad under 52k 400a package with shipping of 1500.00. The only option being the street pack.
Which seemed to be a good deal for the car you get.
From my understanding the 22 is about 1700 or so less than the 20 or 21's.
I will take the lower costs over a center console or power rear captain chairs.

Reactions
2020 has the better rear subframe,

Reactions
2020 Explorers across the board were 4-5k more expensive than the 21+ ... near the end of 20 when the 21s started popping up.. ford slapped a bunch of rebates on the 2020s to make up the difference.

2020 has the better subframe but also the interior plastics I feel are of "less quality" than the 21+ ..particularly around the climate controls and such.

From being at a dealership, 21s definitely have way less issues than the 2020s but they still do have some issues here and there.

Whenever we bring in a preowned 2020.. no matter the trim level.. service is always having issues fixing codes and electrical nonsense.

F=MA

Reactions
I can say I have not had one OEM issue with my current 6/20 built Explorer ST (16,000 miles). Whipple intercooler, fourth revision of exhaust (OEM, Borla S, Magnaflow, Thermal) and ZFG E50 tune. Knock on wood.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll second that, mine was built in 1/20, I bought it 3/1 of 20 and after 18 months, I have not had a single issue so far. Knock on wood!

Reactions
I'll take my pre COVID 2020 built by Chicago crack heads over COVID era Chicago crack heads. The fact they VE out bolts (subframe and radiator shutter mount) makes me wonder what else they cheesed down that we don't know about. 30k plus miles and still smilin. Just sayin

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll take my pre COVID 2020 built by Chicago crack heads over COVID era Chicago crack heads. The fact they VE out bolts (subframe and radiator shutter mount) makes me wonder what else they cheesed down that we don't know about. 30k plus miles and still smilin. Just sayin
Eh consider yourself a lucky one. I would never want a first year build. But glad yours is treating you well!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Agree about pre COVID MY2020 build. My 6/2019 build is rock solid. Was included in the recent camera recall but not going to do it...have never seen a blue screen. I'm at 40k miles and did not buy the ESP because it's been so trouble free. My vehicle didn't have the strut insulator or rear deflector but it appears they are not included in MY2021+ anyways and it was easier to buy those. I am appalled at the 3 bolt subframe and the many reports of missing pieces and quality control items for MY2021. You would think the kinks would be ironed out but they're not. It just seems like the Chicago plant has quality issues all around.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Agree about pre COVID MY2020 build. My 6/2019 build is rock solid. Was included in the recent camera recall but not going to do it...have never seen a blue screen. I'm at 40k miles and did not buy the ESP because it's been so trouble free. My vehicle didn't have the strut insulator or rear deflector but it appears they are not included in MY2021+ anyways and it was easier to buy those. I am appalled at the 3 bolt subframe and the many reports of missing pieces and quality control items for MY2021. You would think the kinks would be ironed out but they're not. It just seems like the Chicago plant has quality issues all around.
Besides the 3 bolt issue, I’m pretty sure all the interior materials are much improved for the 21+ year. They at least removed that dull grey plastic on the infotainment stack that looked okay at best. Additionally, the plastic piece on the drivers seat. I have only heard of that being an issue on the 2020.

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My ST was built in 10/2019 purchased it in 2/2020 haven't had any major problems. Driver's seat panel replacement is the only issue. Seems like after COVID hit in March of 2020 the build quality went down hill.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I do like the gloss black interior treatment. But does that make it better? That's debatable. I've heard some say they prefer matte black because it doesn't show fingerprints. And the seats aren't plastic cladded in back like the 2020. Both are slight improvements but I would not call it "much improved" at all. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference if you were a casual observer.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think there are more quality control improvements then you realize.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, just the 3 bolt subframe on the 2021-2022's is enough to force you into an ESP. That bolt fails and it is a costly repair.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, just the 3 bolt subframe on the 2021-2022's is enough to force you into an ESP. That bolt fails and it is a costly repair.
Not for me. Not worried one bit about it. I think the ones breaking are the minority for sure. And if it becomes that much of an issue, a recall will happen.

Reactions
Not for me. Not worried one bit about it. I think the ones breaking are the minority for sure. And if it becomes that much of an issue, a recall will happen.

chances of a recall all slim to none unless a bus full of transgender middle schoolers gets hit on their way to drag queen story hour, I am worried about it, and its keeping me from getting a tune, im kinda pissed Ford would do something like this.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
chances of a recall all slim to none unless a bus full of transgender middle schoolers gets hit on their way to drag queen story hour, I am worried about it, and its keeping me from getting a tune, im kinda pissed Ford would do something like this.
I mean really how many people are having theirs snap? I agree it is ridiculous of ford. But I mean unless you constantly drive your aggressive as hell, I wouldn’t worry.