Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removed features from 2022

20 Red ST

Reactions
The dealer can disable the auto start for you. I had my battery fail on my 20 the first week. I asked them to disable it and they did.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The dealer can disable the auto start for you. I had my battery fail on my 20 the first week. I asked them to disable it and they did.
Interesting didn’t know that was possible.

Reactions
Me too, and my AutoStop Eliminator let me down last week after working just fine for 3 months.

I contacted the company and they had me reset the module by simply disconnecting it for a few minutes. It works once again. I hated not having it as did my wife. We both dislike having to push the button.

The manufacturers believe the malfunction had something to do with my recent SYNC update. I don't know if it actually does or not. I didn't even realize I had a new update but when I checked the install date it does seem like it was about the same time as the malfunction.

They indicated they had seen this problem on both Aviators and Exploders which would make sense. When I asked about the issue she knew exactly what I was talking about and was very confident that unplugging it for a few minutes would fix my issue. She was right.
I've never understood why people hate hitting the button so much, your hand is already next to it when you get in the car. I always get in, put it in drive, disengage the park brake, turn off auto start/stop, and disable stability assist. Its really not that hard since everything is right there. Now my girlfriends blazer is annoying, she shifter is on the right, the park break is to the left of the steering wheel, and the auto start/stop is to the right of the steering wheel, which is super annoying.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've never understood why people hate hitting the button so much, your hand is already next to it when you get in the car. I always get in, put it in drive, disengage the park brake, turn off auto start/stop, and disable stability assist. Its really not that hard since everything is right there. Now my girlfriends blazer is annoying, she shifter is on the right, the park break is to the left of the steering wheel, and the auto start/stop is to the right of the steering wheel, which is super annoying.
I can't see anyone championing Auto/Stop on their vehicle. It just doesn't make sense to me. Neither my wife nor I like what Ford would call a "feature".

It's kind of like having silver lug nuts on black wheels or chrome tailpipes on a car with a lot of black trim. Some people think it's no big deal, some like it, and others don't want anything to do with it. I'm the latter in either of those examples too.

At the end of the day, whatever floats your boat is exactly what you should have.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The Auto Stop Eliminator is mislabeled, they should rename the device. It does not eliminate the A/S function, it only gives the control and choice back to the driver, it remembers the last choice and defaults to that choice on the next key cycle. That is how they should come from the factory. It's not about just pushing the button every time you start the car, you shouldn't have to every time, it should be a one and done and never think about again. And if the need arises you can always push the button to activate the A/S then push it again when you're done.

Reactions
they can do it via FORSCAN, mine refuses to however, claims Ford says no

Reactions
I can't see anyone championing Auto/Stop on their vehicle. It just doesn't make sense to me. Neither my wife nor I like what Ford would call a "feature".

It's kind of like having silver lug nuts on black wheels or chrome tailpipes on a car with a lot of black trim. Some people think it's no big deal, some like it, and others don't want anything to do with it. I'm the latter in either of those examples too.

At the end of the day, whatever floats your boat is exactly what you should have.

I think the delay it induces when starting can be the difference btw an accident and survival, it needs to go, so does CAFE, so does all this new dumb shit, like alcohol sensors-I am no alcoholic, I dont need this or want to pay for it

20 Red ST

Reactions
There is a u tube video I was looking at a while back on a ford Ranger that said if you remove the small wire on the positive battery terminal it will disable the auto stop/start. Might be worth checking into. However I have no idea if it will also mess with anything else.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m pretty sure that wire goes to the Battery Management System (BMS), so disconnecting it would disable BMS and the Auto Stop-Start because the BMS is an input to the Start-Stop decision flow.

Reactions
auto start stop is garbage

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Me too, and my AutoStop Eliminator let me down last week after working just fine for 3 months.

I contacted the company and they had me reset the module by simply disconnecting it for a few minutes. It works once again. I hated not having it as did my wife. We both dislike having to push the button.

The manufacturers believe the malfunction had something to do with my recent SYNC update. I don't know if it actually does or not. I didn't even realize I had a new update but when I checked the install date it does seem like it was about the same time as the malfunction.

They indicated they had seen this problem on both Aviators and Exploders which would make sense. When I asked about the issue she knew exactly what I was talking about and was very confident that unplugging it for a few minutes would fix my issue. She was right.
When the Ford did several updates on my 2020 it effected the Auto Stop/Start Eliminator. I had to go in to the steering column and unplug it and plug in back in. Then it has worked fine since.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Same here. About 6 months in, it acted strange after a trip to the dealer. unplugged it and plugged it back in, works fine now and has for over 2 years.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST