Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removed features from 2022

Stephen

Reactions
With the dealer order sheet for the 2022 there's some changes that are a bit weird :

New :
- Auto Start-Stop Removal (52X)

Deleted :
- Power-assist Fold from standard Second Row Captain Chairs on Limited and ST
- Second Row Center Floor Console

What are people's thoughts on these? Seems like a downgrade to remove the power folding and the center console for the second row.

Reactions
The power assist on the second row is pointless. I just pull the handle for basically all operations. I assume those with children in the 3rd row might use it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The Auto Start/Stop switch isn't something Ford wanted to do. It affects their MPG ratings though minimally. It happens to be one of those chips involved in the shortage that they simply cannot get sufficient quantities to fill the need.

Many of us given the option would not choose to have this feature anyway.

One of the members on the F150EcoBoost forum said that when ordering a truck they were giving you the option of having that feature or not. It would save $50 if you chose not to have it.

Reactions
Save $50 to not have it? I paid $85 to get rid of it.:mad:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
With the dealer order sheet for the 2022 there's some changes that are a bit weird :

New :
- Auto Start-Stop Removal (52X)

Deleted :
- Power-assist Fold from standard Second Row Captain Chairs on Limited and ST
- Second Row Center Floor Console

What are people's thoughts on these? Seems like a downgrade to remove the power folding and the center console for the second row.
huh. all three of those are things i wish i could have or have removed on my '20. good play. the 2nd row power folding feature is literally useless as my kids just go through the gap between the two captains chairs. and the console holds nothing in any sturdy manner whatsover. i tried to remove it but there is no nice carpet under it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Save $50 to not have it? I paid $85 to get rid of it.:mad:
Me too, and my AutoStop Eliminator let me down last week after working just fine for 3 months.

I contacted the company and they had me reset the module by simply disconnecting it for a few minutes. It works once again. I hated not having it as did my wife. We both dislike having to push the button.

The manufacturers believe the malfunction had something to do with my recent SYNC update. I don't know if it actually does or not. I didn't even realize I had a new update but when I checked the install date it does seem like it was about the same time as the malfunction.

They indicated they had seen this problem on both Aviators and Exploders which would make sense. When I asked about the issue she knew exactly what I was talking about and was very confident that unplugging it for a few minutes would fix my issue. She was right.

Last edited:
Reactions
^^^I hate auto start stop

Reactions
I mean can't you just disable it with the press of one button? It's inches below from gear knob.

Even then, most drive on sport mode which automatically removes that. IMO, thats a more annoying issue, not saving the previous drive mode.

OP
S

Stephen

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
huh. all three of those are things i wish i could have or have removed on my '20. good play. the 2nd row power folding feature is literally useless as my kids just go through the gap between the two captains chairs. and the console holds nothing in any sturdy manner whatsover. i tried to remove it but there is no nice carpet under it.
Yes, I'm slightly optimistic that the lack of console is a benefit and will let the dog get into the car and get out of the way into the back door family road trips.
My wife made the point we count always get a custom to tote or something if the kids really need a stuff organizer between them.

Reactions
I mean can't you just disable it with the press of one button? It's inches below from gear knob.

Even then, most drive on sport mode which automatically removes that. IMO, thats a more annoying issue, not saving the previous drive mode.

here's the problem, remembering to do it every time you drive the car, it in my raptor and I hate it, then you've go to buy the eliminator that costs $90, I suspect the auto start stop has somehtingto do with the cam phaser problems, plus the fractions of a second it costs you in moving might be the difference between wreck or escape, it sucks to save a few pennies of gas

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

Even then, most drive on sport mode which automatically removes that. IMO, that's a more annoying issue, not saving the previous drive mode.

Yes, of course, you can simply press the button, but for the few days, I actually had it I can't tell you how much I hated having to remember to push the button. That was during my break-in period and I wasn't using the Sport setting.

I drive in Sport Mode almost exclusively. That said, my wife does not and she too hates having to remember to push the button. For me, the Auto Stop Eliminator was $85 well spent. I'd buy it again in a minute.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Me too, and my AutoStop Eliminator let me down last week after working just fine for 3 months.

I contacted the company and they had me reset the module by simply disconnecting it for a few minutes. It works once again. I hated not having it as did my wife. We both dislike having to push the button.

The manufacturers believe the malfunction had something to do with my recent SYNC update. I don't know if it actually does or not. I didn't even realize I had a new update but when I checked the install date it does seem like it was about the same time as the malfunction.

They indicated they had seen this problem on both Aviators and Exploders which would make sense. When I asked about the issue she knew exactly what I was talking about and was very confident that unplugging it for a few minutes would fix my issue. She was right.
My auto stop start eliminator did the same thing after going to the shop for a reset. I unhooked it and hooked it back up and it has worked fine ever since.

Reactions
They also got rid of the LED cupholders

F=MA

Reactions
I keep my owners manual in the second row console as well as a adhesive tape lint brush in one cup holder and a water bottle in the second cup holder. Who thinks up these great ideas??

F=MA

Reactions
The new 2022 Ford Explorer STripped :ROFLMAO:

How dicked up is that? The first model year ends up being the best model year.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The first model year ends up being the best model year.
Yes, but I paid more for my 2020 than the prices I've seen posters quoting for the later models. Hard to tell for sure since the option packages also have changed.

F=MA

Reactions
Let's go back to the future !!!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’d still take the reliability of the later years. But it is bs with taking away these features.

Reactions
Yes, but I paid more for my 2020 than the prices I've seen posters quoting for the later models. Hard to tell for sure since the option packages also have changed.
Could've gotten a 2020 at a later time, still new. That's what I did, paid under MSRP on top of rebates

I’d still take the reliability of the later years. But it is bs with taking away these features.
Not sure how the new ones are more reliable? They have not changed one single thing nor add to the engine, transmission or computer to make it more "reliable" on the later ones.

It's the same exact SUV with lesser things, unless you count the single bolt rear as more reliable lol

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Could've gotten a 2020 at a later time, still new. That's what I did, paid under MSRP on top of rebates

Not sure how the new ones are more reliable? They have not changed one single thing nor add to the engine, transmission or computer to make it more "reliable" on the later ones.

It's the same exact SUV with lesser things, unless you count the single bolt rear as more reliable lol
Really? You’ve seen no difference between the 2020s and 2021s? Lol much less issues, certainly less frequency of issues with the 21s. I expect that to continue with the 22s. For example I would imagine the camera recall is already fixed on 22s.

It’s not a guarantee, but it’s completely reasonable to think that.

people always say to avoid first generation of new cars. The Ford Explorer 6th gen is a prime example of that. I think ford was quick to make improvements though. Even the later build 2020s were improved compared to the early builds.