Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Red Lens Rear Reflector Bumper Replacements

Boyd

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just installed a set of these. Both me and the Chickadee like em. Only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the shift from dim to bright when braking isn't a very big shift. Especially with those killer bright LEDs from the factory.

Wiring: I'm pretty comfortable with wiring. Even a schematics manual wouldn't hep with the ST because all the wiring back there is either black or black w/ white stripe. Here's how I did it on the '21:

I used a trim tool to pop out the stock reflector. Used some really long tie-wraps and some wire to fish the new wires up thru the bumper to the taillight.

There's 4 wires that need to be spliced in. 1 ground, then 1 power for each function: tail light, brake light, T/S light.

First, there's a single ground wire coming off each of the 3 lights back there and spliced together. So that identifies ground. This was the first connection I wired up so I could test the others as I worked along.

2nd, there's only 2 wires coming off the amber T/S bulb. One is the ground, the other is your 12vdc+. So that's power for T/S.

3rd, there's 3 wires coming off the led plug. All 3 are black w/ white stripe. One goes to the ground splice. The other 2 are power for a) tail light (dim), and b) brake light (bright). I'm cutting and splicing the wiring, so it was no big deal to cut one of the wires, temp connect one wire from the new light. Turn on your headlights... if it lights up, you found the power wire for the tail light. If it doesnt, you found the wire for the brake light.

I made my connections by cutting the individual ST wire and splicing in with solder and heatshrink. I dont trust those t-connectors or 3M spice-taps. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and there's no way I'd trust those plastic things.

Anyways, cheap mod that looks cool, brightens up the back end of the ST. Oh, and the turn signal function of the new LED is sequential. Chickadee is happy. :cool: