Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall Rear Axle Bolt

BRW

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
2021 Black Explorer ST, What I don't like about the PCM reprogram in addition to what others have posted is the fact that every time you place the vehicle in park it activates the emergency brake. I have not had mine done as the dealer told me today they don't have the parts to fix or reprogram the ST models. The recall also states that police vehicles don't get the PCM reprogram; only a physical part repair.

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall.
. Police Units - The parts required to repair Explorer police units are anticipated to be available
by the end of 3'd Quarter 2022. This Dealer Bulletin will be supplemented when parts are
available.
o NOIE; Police units will only have a physical part repair.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
2021 Black Explorer ST, What I don't like about the PCM reprogram in addition to what others have posted is the fact that every time you place the vehicle in park it activates the emergency brake. I have not had mine done as the dealer told me today they don't have the parts to fix or reprogram the ST models. The recall also states that police vehicles don't get the PCM reprogram; only a physical part repair.

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall.
. Police Units - The parts required to repair Explorer police units are anticipated to be available
by the end of 3'd Quarter 2022. This Dealer Bulletin will be supplemented when parts are
available.
o NOIE; Police units will only have a physical part repair.
The police vehicles do not get the PCM reprogram because they do not have the electric park brake. They have the old cable style. Setting the park brake is all the PCM reprogram does.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I never understood why the parking brake wasn’t automatically activated when shifting into Park. I’m unable to think of a scenario when that’s undesirable.

Reactions
I never understood why the parking brake wasn’t automatically activated when shifting into Park. I’m unable to think of a scenario when that’s undesirable.
As long as you can manually turn it off, otherwise it would make any rear brake service more difficult.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
As long as you can manually turn it off, otherwise it would make any rear brake service more difficult.
Wouldn’t you be doing that in Neutral?

Reactions
Mine got done today , strange they flash to engage the parking brake when shifting to park , but you have to manually turn it off to drive ..can’t they program it to auto disengage aswell

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Mine got done today , strange they flash to engage the parking brake when shifting to park , but you have to manually turn it off to drive ..can’t they program it to auto disengage aswell
Mine does, as soon as you give it some gas.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It is mildly annoying to me to hit the button or hit the gas. When hitting the gas it always feels like it jerks while it releases. Seems to me since it is all just programming they could release the parking brake as soon as you shift out of park.

Then again they probably have to protect against some dumb-a$$es that do something stupid and sue.

Redvalk

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Exporer ST
Mine does, as soon as you give it some gas.
Yep.......you can either manually turn it off....or ....the AUTOMATIC method is based on THREE things:

1. you have the driver door closed
2. you place transmission out of park (ie, D or R)
3. you give it some gas

The moment you give it gas, it AUTOMATICALLY takes the brake off.