Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Opening Dimensions 2020 Explorer St

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I'm going to be purchasing a large TV new in the box and was considering transportation options. The TV is located about 250 miles from my home so I would need to transport for a solid distance. Because of this I'd be hesitant to load flat on roof rails with padding under TV and box as well as under rails (pipe insulation.) If it was only a couple of miles and I could make sure I don't go over many bumps I'd chance it but 250 miles is a lot of chances for disaster to happen. I'm thinking I may be able to slide the box and angle it into the rear of the SUV but years of trying to help customers at a hardware store load grills and other large items into the back of SUV's has proven to me just how limiting they can be sometimes with loads. In the below screenshot someone has stated that there is 47" of space horizontally on the floor of the rear in the SUV. I'm assuming this is inside the threshold of the hatch from interior dimensions. Does anyone have measurements below that match the red line I added to the screenshot? The box I'm trying to slide into this space would be 49" in height by 83" in length. If I can just slide the box in at an angle I'd feel better about the bumps I go over than if the box was completely flat albeit supported on the roof. Something tells me that there is no way 49" is angling into the back though which may mean I need to borrow the rent and dent truck from Lowes. Can anyone provide an opening measurement?

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.23.16 PM.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You did all that instead of walking to your car with a tape measure?

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I wish I was that lazy/dumb. Nope. I purchased an ST last week but am not in America at the moment so I've yet to take possession or see it in person.

waiting

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
A^2 + B^2 = C^2

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
That formula works only on a rectangle or square. This is an uneven hexagon. For real?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
52” on mine. 47 should fit depending on how thick the box is as 52 is to the corner. Usually a couple inches of styrofoam
Even if you had to push in the corner of the box a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
~51”

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Many thanks. That could potentially work for the box. Appreciate it.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
52” on mine. 47 should fit depending on how thick the box is as 52 is to the corner. Usually a couple inches of styrofoam
Even if you had to push in the corner of the box a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think it might work. Worst case scenario is I could bring ratchet straps, pipe insulation and a few pillows for between the roof and box, and transport the TV on its back on the roof rails. It should be mostly highway driving all the way back

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Back in Feb I brought home a 75" LG still in the box in the back of mine and was able to close the rear hatch.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Back in Feb I brought home a 75" LG still in the box in the back of mine and was able to close the rear hatch.
Sweet. Did you feel like you still had room to slide it in if it was a bigger box? For an 85" maybe?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I folded down both the second and third rows and it slid right in. I let it lay flat as I only had about 10 miles to transport it. The 49" will fit in and lay flat, but the 83, I don't remember. But the tv is a 75" so I guess the box was about 80" or so. Let me check on costco and see if I can find the box dimensions.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
I folded down both the second and third rows and it slid right in. I let it lay flat as I only had about 10 miles to transport it. The 49" will fit in and lay flat, but the 83, I don't remember. But the tv is a 75" so I guess the box was about 80" or so. Let me check on costco and see if I can find the box dimensions.
Yeah the 75" boxes for TV's are typically about 45" in height. The 85" is around 49" in height so about 2 more inches of box on each end of what you had.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Best buy says a 75" box is 72" long.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Best buy says a 75" box is 72" long.
Yes but it's the height of the box that will sometimes get in the way and not allow you to fit the box inside of the vehicle. Like the height of the box won't allow it to clear the sides of the opening of the SUV.